• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World LA Report! Special Thanks to Matt Nelson & Mr. BedRock!!

41 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I went to WW LA all day Saturday!

1) Dropped off some ASM Books at CGC and picked them up a couple hours later (fastest service I have ever seen from them).

[*]Amazing Spider-man #275 CGC 9.8 :acclaim:

[*]Amazing Spider-man 215 CGC 9.6 (thumbs u

[*]Amazing Spider-man #204 CGC 9,4 (shrug)

[*]Amazing Spider-man #245 CGC 9.6 (thumbs u

[*]Amazing Spider-man #214 CGC 9.6 (thumbs u

2) Bought some stuff off Bob Storm at highgradecomics booth. Some very nice high grade Bronze Captain America stuff. :banana: Then I just went over to some other dealers to get some filler issues in NM condition of 80's Captain America's. I met Arthur Suydam and he signed a sweet marvel Zombie poster and all his money went to Hero's Initiative Fund, so It was a good thing anyway.

3) The con was dead as I anticipated it would be because LA just does not seem they are into comics like San Diego, Philly, NY, etc...oh well no crowds at least mean less bumping. Wizard also had a lot less space this year which made this con seem really small. You could walk around in the whole con and see everything in no time. :insane:

4) A special thanks goes out to Matt Nelson and Mr. Bedrock (Richard Evans) for hosting and educating a small group of us for the COMIC RESTORATION SEMINAR at 5pm today. It ran smoothly and was so informative and educational it blew me away!! (worship) !

I thought there would have been more people there because it seemed like everyone on the boards said they were going to go , but didn't show up. Matt passed passed a resto sheet covering the 4 areas, which are 1) Color Tough 2) Glue and Rice Paper, 3) Cover Cleaning, and 4)Trimming, and the sheet was made available so you could take notes as well. Plus they passed out actual golden age and silver age books to provide examples of each Category!! They said they will hold the next one at WW Chicago, so if you are going and you are a comic collector then you would be crazy not to attend!!! :news:

Afterwards I got to talk to them both for a little bit and they were super nice to just shoot the breeze with, I cant wait to go to another one and learn some more from these guys!

5) Lastly I just like to say I give mad Props to MICHAEL TURNER because as everyone know he is battling a disease and he was still there signing books and talking to fans as he sat in his wheel chair. Most people call of out work for if they have cold, but here's Mr Turner signing 100's of books when everyone including myself would understand if he didn't! GET WELL MIKE !!! ^^

post you thought on the con or if you just want ask questions about the con,

John

Hey John,

I was there too today (Saturday). What were you wearing during the restoration detection seminar? I was the 3 guy on the left side with the black hooded sweater and a black Joker shirt. One of the younger looking guys I guess you could say.

I definitely had a blast at the show and didn't buy any books as I'm saving for a grail. My friends took pictures with some wrestlers, girls in short and sexy outfits, and of course some people who dressed up in superhero costume. I'll probably post a couple of pix up on here when I get the chance.

As John mentioned, the restoration seminar was great and it went better as I thought because of all the hands on book checking we did. It proved very useful, but unfortunately, they were too short in time. As one of us mentioned, it would be best for them to talk for an hour on each one of the 4 topics as we had a lt of questions to ask and we would get a better feel on it. I would also like to thank Richard and Matt for this seminar. The good thing about it is that they mentioned that they will be recording themselves probably at the Chicago Con for their next restoration seminar and burning it into DVD's. I think that is a brilliant idea as more and more collectors and dealers would want to keen up on their restoration detection skills. Overall a great show and I guess the next show for me would be SDCC.

Brian

I was the one at the far right in the first row. I was wearing glasses and had a Hurley Shirt on.

hm I don't quite remember, sorry. Did you meet any board members today?

no, just Mr Bedrock

I hear that WWLA is dead every year.

What's up with that??

Wish MN & Ricky had recorded this one as well as Chicago. Maybe this is the test drive. No matter what camp you're in relative to the pressing debate, this seminar should be worth seeing.

Cool ASM's; Thanks for the report

[

5) Lastly I just like to say I give mad Props to MICHAEL TURNER because as everyone know he is battling a disease and he was still there signing books and talking to fans as he sat in his wheel chair. Most people call of out work for if they have cold, but here's Mr Turner signing 100's of books when everyone including myself would understand if he didn't! GET WELL MIKE !!! ^^

post you thought on the con or if you just want ask questions about the con,

John

I was just thinking about Turner the other day.Just how remarkable he is to battle cancer and not miss a show-con at which is is scheduled to attend.Plus,pushing out tons of covers for more than 3 companies.The man is more super than the heroes he draws.Much respect respect-061.gif and hope he gets well soon.pray.gif

Thats too bad Michael was in a wheelchair. I think he was on crutches at chicago last year and I thought he was doing alot better :(

did anyone go today ? (sunday)

Yes, I was there for 3 hours today and picked up a few more books (posted my favorite in the pre-code horror thread above).

Missed the Restoration Seminar on Saturday as I was holding down the Bedrock booth.

Didn't meet as many Board members as I had expected - did have a nice long chat with agro23 and also enjoyed a visit with deathlok and his son (thumbs u .

Less people = more room to maneuver, and I enjoyed the show a lot (though it does seem to be on the decline (shrug) )

Thats too bad Michael was in a wheelchair. I think he was on crutches at chicago last year and I thought he was doing alot better :(

Yea I stayed at the same hotel as he did at WW Chicago 2007, and I rode the elevator with him, and at first I asked if he broke or sprained his leg or something and then he gave me the cancer news!!

Thats sucks!

He is such a good guy!

I went Sunday, and the comments were overheard from vendors that this was their best day...

Ran into GUY, who saw me submitting comics to CGC, and as always he was nice and friendly!

Scored a few raw books:

SILVER SURFER # 1 9.0 from Harlee Yee priced at $450 but got him down to $410....

SUB-MARINER # 1 8.5 from Bob Storms - priced at $120 but he instantly reduced it to $100 so I took it.

I almost always buy something from these two dealers because:

1) I lke them

2) They can grade

3) they are willing to drop some - not a whole lot, but they make their livings off the comics so I understand...

CAL

Oh, I saw 5 different mid-grade IRON MAN/SUBBY'S there and I did not buy a single one - a new record for me!

They all were nice but if I can't get 9.0 or higher I pass these days - other worlds to conquer...

CAL the Conquistador...