• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another great EBAY experience.....

32 posts in this topic

Ok so I won this auction for uncanny x-men 104 described as NM or better. I get the book and its no better than an 8.5. I should know better that something like this would happen with ungraded books, but I tried anyway because he has 100% feedback. Having reached my limits I emailed him yesterday asking why would he sell a book as NM (or better) when it clearly wasnt. This was mostly a rhetorical question because the answer is obvious....What was the response you ask? Here you go......

Hi, I am sorry you don't like the book, please return it for a full refund. As long as it is in the same shape as when I sent it to you as I stated in my return policy. Lets keep this civil and professional, no snide remarks as they are not appreciated. As for what I'm doing is giving people good deals on doubles of books I already have. What's really funny is that I don't really need the money. As for the grade I gave it a NM- or 9.2 or better as I saw no flaws in it at all and I think only CGC can give out a higher grade as they specialize in doing so and I own a lot of CGC graded 9.4 or better books. As for the difference in grade it was off .75 which isn't a whole lot. I feel pretty upset about your attitue in your email so do us both a favor and don't bid on any more of my auctions. I'm a very large, physical in your face kind of guy and I can't stand "Holier than thou attitudes". So I will leave it at this, You Owe Me An Apology! Think about it!

- fishin-krazy

So, there you go. Dont be questioning FISHIN KRAZY because hes a large, physical in your face kind of guy. lol

Thanks for listening to my rantrant

I also wanted to add my EBAY ID is http://myworld.ebay.com/therubicon

My response btw was this....

Dear fishin-krazy,

Hi well your response started out good but ended pretty badly. Allow me to respond. First Im sorry if I offended you. Thankyou for offering my money back. I do not wish to go that route in that its a waste of my time. As for the money I also dont need it, the fact that you pointed that out probably means you need it more than I do. All I asked was why grade a book NM when its a Very Fine. And as for the large physcial in your face kind of guy, well my friend, you found someone who is alot like you. And believe me there is an open invitation for you anytime you want to try and prove how much of a tough guy you think you are. Talk is cheap pal. Also why would I ever bid on your auctions again? That makes no sense, just like your grading. Thanks again for the laugh.

- therubicon

Ah ebay, its so fun.

lol

Looks like you've got a little flamewar on your hands.

His first response was pathetic. Calling himself 'large and physical' was clearly supposed to be intimidating. I therefore conclude that he is a spotty 13 year old breadstick-armed nerd.

Still, if a book on ebay is casually described as NM, I would expect a VF at best. That's the norm I'm afraid :(

while his response is silly re: "large and physical" (so am I, but I wouldn't mention it unless someone was physically threatening me, and then I'd probably mention the firearms too), calling a book a NM- ("or better" which what his auction said ("or better" is just puffery, wishfull thinking!), not "NM"), and it actually being a VF+, is not really bad in terms of the world of ebay and is certainly within the realm of variation among "old skool" grading standards and such. While I don't think in BA there are that many 8.5s that could just as easily come back a 9.2 from CGC (and vice versa), 8.5 and 9.0 is pretty close.

If it was still a pretty nice copy I probably would have approached the situation a bit less aggressively. This isn't the VG book being called a NM and such.

With that said, I'd never pay in my mind what I think is the appropriate NM- price for a book with such a small scan from a seller without a big reputation, etc.

while his response is silly re: "large and physical" (so am I, but I wouldn't mention it unless someone was physically threatening me, and then I'd probably mention the firearms too), calling a book a NM- ("or better" which what his auction said ("or better" is just puffery, wishfull thinking!), not "NM"), and it actually being a VF+, is not really bad in terms of the world of ebay and is certainly within the realm of variation among "old skool" grading standards and such. While I don't think in BA there are that many 8.5s that could just as easily come back a 9.2 from CGC (and vice versa), 8.5 and 9.0 is pretty close.

If it was still a pretty nice copy I probably would have approached the situation a bit less aggressively. This isn't the VG book being called a NM and such.

With that said, I'd never pay in my mind what I think is the appropriate NM- price for a book with such a small scan from a seller without a big reputation, etc.

Youre correct as well blob, It should have been done a little less aggressively. For some reason I had had enough with these people and I decided to call him out on it. The first email I sent wasnt nasty but pointed out that I was aware of the real grade of the book, and how he should grade a little more strictly. I guess that pissed him off. Who knows what hes going to write back now. Regardless, its pointless to argue it any further....

MAN KILLS OVER COMIC BOOK... thats not something I want in the paper. (at least not with my name attached to it)

And here is the latest of responses..

Dear therubicon,

Brian thanks for the apology. You start out as a nice guy in the beginning and end up coming off like a jerk. Thanks for the laugh? Prove what a tough guy I am?? I'm a combat veteran, I did all of my proving back in the Marines. Open invitation???? Dude, get the chip off of your shoulder. Why do you feel the need to make this personal? The fact is you can't go around insulting people and acting like a jerk just because you want to or there's something you don't like or something didn't go according to plan.

My wife was just in here and made a pretty good point. She read your emails and mine, we are similar, I don't put up with BS, neither do you. If you and I were face to face we'd settle this differntly, let's leave it at that.

Thx

Dave

- fishin-krazy

Whoa dude...

People will need a bigger scan than that for grading.

:insane:

You can upload them right to here up to 200KB.

Try making then 600 pixels wide.

Oh sorry, I was saying that was the actual picture that he used. The lower right corner is blunted with a crease. The ULC is also blunted. There is a chip out of the middle of the book which you cant see. The top edge of the book is wavy. As well as cover wear that isnt visible unless you hold it up the light in a certain way.

I just scanned it and boy does my scanner make an 8.0 look like a 9.6......