• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Kirby FF 40 art day!!!

50 posts in this topic

Steve -

Congrats on another awesome page! :headbang: Best of luck with the entire sequence!

When you guys are having conservation work done on those SA Kirby pages, are Kirby's penciled border notes left intact?

Steve -

Congrats on another awesome page! :headbang: Best of luck with the entire sequence!

When you guys are having conservation work done on those SA Kirby pages, are Kirby's penciled border notes left intact?

Good question, always wondered about that myself..LOVE the Kirby border notes, dude wasn't only the best artist in his field, had great penmanship as well ^^

Steve -

Good question, always wondered about that myself..LOVE the Kirby border notes, dude wasn't only the best artist in his field, had great penmanship as well ^^

It is a great question!

I'd have to defer that to someone who has had a page worked on because I haven't used a conservationist yet. (shrug)

It takes supreme patience to put together a run of Kirby pages that have been dispersed already. I only tried it on one book and could not complete it.

Best wishes finding the rest.

Rich

Rich, what book was that?

Avengers #8 by Kirby, inked by Ayers (1st Kang story).

After picking up half the book from another collector who gave up on completing it, I was only able to find and buy one more page in 10 years.

Plus I lost out on getting the page 1 splash.

and I agree about the border notes.

I have a Kirby / Romita Daredevil page where a prior owner erased Jack's pencil notes. Kirby's notes sometimes differed from Stan Lee's final balloons/ captions and it's fun to see how the match or don't.

Best,

and I agree about the border notes.

I have a Kirby / Romita Daredevil page where a prior owner erased Jack's pencil notes. Kirby's notes sometimes differed from Stan Lee's final balloons/ captions and it's fun to see how the match or don't.

Best,

That's a shame about those notes!

The margin notes are part of the history of the page. I enjoy reading them when they're not erased, cut off, or stained to the point of being illegible. But it happens. It would have been great to see the pages before they were trimmed for production since most of them have half the notes cut off in the process.

-Steve