• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The single most Valuable CGC graded comicbook ?

198 posts in this topic

9]Detective # 1.......Yes.its so impossible in High grade that I say its at least possible if theres a 9.0,,this is a close call but maybe....I say 9.0 is one of a kind and this book is really loved by big collectors with deep pockets.

No way. It's too esoteric a book to break $1 million, even in 9.8.

Tim, very true. Too many GA guys seem to forget the growing disparity between GA books, even wthin the same title.

Unless it's got a modern relevancy, e.g an on-going title, a new incarnation of the character in some mass media format, it's almost negligable to bring them up in a discussion like this.

Do any of the top 12 goldenage books have potential million dollar babies?

Lets take a look,

1] Action 1...............obviously yes

2]Detective 27..........obviously yes

3]Superman # 1.........I say yes and I do think it starts at 9.0 and think it exsists in dixie.

4]Marvel 1................Yes, the Mile high copy only!

5]All American 16.....Yes,the Mile High copy only!

6]Batman # 1...........Yes, [[but not the color touched Mile high[]] I do think there is another 9.4 non pedigree out there somewhere with all those exsisting copies.

7] Captain America # 1...No. more high grade copies than AA16.It would take a 9.8 to hit a mill I think.

8]Flash # 1..............NO...If the Mile high couldnt do it at 9.6 no one can

9]Detective # 1.......Yes.its so impossible in High grade that I say its at least possible if theres a 9.0,,this is a close call but maybe....I say 9.0 is one of a kind and this book is really loved by big collectors with deep pockets.

10]More Fun 52....No...Even if the Mile High and Larson had no glue I still say no.

11] Adventure 40..NO..Mile high is restored and nothing else still comes close

12] All Star 3.... NO..Mile High 9.6 slight color AND there is a clean 9.4 but cant touch even 500k in my opinion

I agree with all ten..

But, keep in mind, lets be real here. To date no comic books has even sold for 400K and this list starts at a million. IF the AA16 sold or does sell for 800 or 900 etc THEN we'll have some serious data to work with.

What would be really interesting would be to re-visit this post 10 years from now. I gurantee we'd all be laughing at the assumptions here. In the sense that it would all look pitifully cheap, and seriously undervalued as a group.

As for what the top figure would be... (shrug)

Lets take a look,

3]Superman # 1.........I say yes and I do think it starts at 9.0 and think it exsists in dixie.

6]Batman # 1...........Yes, [[but not the color touched Mile high[]] I do think there is another 9.4 non pedigree out there somewhere with all those exsisting copies.

7] Captain America # 1...No. more high grade copies than AA16.It would take a 9.8 to hit a mill I think.

10]More Fun 52....No...Even if the Mile High and Larson had no glue I still say no.

12] All Star 3.... NO..Mile High 9.6 slight color AND there is a clean 9.4 but cant touch even 500k in my opinion

I agree with all ten..

I disagree with 6 & 9. Is a 9.4 non-pedigree Batman #1 worth over 3x what the CGC 9.0 went for? I don't think so. Not currently anyway. And Detective #1 even in 9.0 probably wouldn't be able to pull that much.

Lets take a look,

I agree with all ten..

I disagree with 6 & 9. Is a 9.4 non-pedigree Batman #1 worth over 3x what the CGC 9.0 went for? I don't think so. Not currently anyway. And Detective #1 even in 9.0 probably wouldn't be able to pull that much.

I agree. I can`t believe a Batman #1 in any grade could go for $1 million.

Lets take a look,

I agree with all ten..

I agree. I can`t believe a Batman #1 in any grade could go for $1 million.

Tim, like I've said before you can never say something is emphatic when talking HG GA key's. It's the one area we're contantly seeing surprises, above, and beyond reasonable, and sometimes optimistic expectation.

Peter,

There aren't many Supes #1 pedigrees out there, and the MH Supes #1 is a previously worked on 8.0... Do you think the highest graded Supes #1 is only a 9.0 and it is non-pedigree? How do you know about this? Have you seen DA's Supes #1... I thought he bought the 7.5 a few years ago.

Supes #1 is tough to find in pedigrees (or HG non-peds).

I would say AA #16, and only for this reason. The slabbed Action #1 is not the only comic in really good condition. In fact it is fair to say that a couple of Action #1's if ever graded by C.G.C. could quite well go past the 8.5 mark. With AA #16 9.4 this is a one of a kind with nothing even close to it. I doubt there are any in any better condition. Because of that, it should be the highest priced book.

I would say AA #16, and only for this reason. The slabbed Action #1 is not the only comic in really good condition. In fact it is fair to say that a couple of Action #1's if ever graded by C.G.C. could quite well go past the 8.5 mark. With AA #16 9.4 this is a one of a kind with nothing even close to it. I doubt there are any in any better condition. Because of that, it should be the highest priced book.

BangZoom has a beautiful raw copy. It's probably not a 9.4 but its high. He posted a scan of it in the MH 9.4 thread in the GA forum. So there's 2 really nice ones out there for sure. Still, your point stands that it is more rare in HG than the Action 1... probably.

BangZoom has a beautiful raw copy. It's probably not a 9.4 but its high. He posted a scan of it in the MH 9.4 thread in the GA forum. So there's 2 really nice ones out there for sure. Still, your point stands that it is more rare in HG than the Action 1... probably.

yeah but he probably has a beautiful action 1 too so that cancels out ;) He's hinted at owning one, just hasn't shown a big scan of it like the aa16

Yes, I havent sent it to CGC yet :whistle:

You should crack it out & make sure the rust hasn't migrated.... :whistle:

Good point, but unfortunately the only way to save the book is by replacing the staples, which would effect the value of the book drastically...

Of course this assumes they catch the staple replacement when its resubbed. :devil:

Okay. I admit I agreed prematurely to the list in order to get to my other point and because, in general I think the list is pretty good. But, some have pointed to specific items here that I must agree with, or rather disagree with the list about.

But, overall, what do I know? I mean, in this curent climate where an AA16 has apparently sold for a million bucks (??!!) why wouldnt ANY book on the list also hit the mark? So, I think its anyones guess what certain books would sell for now.

In ten years however, almost all these books oughtta make it. Except Tec 1. And by then all teh SA keys will have crossed 100K. Im not being naively optimistic (I dont think). These select books we are talking about will survive the cratering comics hobby due to their now permanent place in Americana

if i owned the action 1 with rusty staples i would replace them with staples from another book of that era without hesitation.

depending on how bad they are of course.

Without hesitation? I might consider it as well, but I would certainly hesitate. I would want to see just how bad it is. I would want to have it looked at by more than one restoration expert to get their opinions. Is it bad enough to require replacement, or would a cleaning suffice? Maybe it's not necessary at all, provided it is stored properly for the remainder of it's life. I would certainly consider doing what is best for the book, but I wouldn't just jump in with the pliers and start yanking out staples. :)

The Mile High AA #16 would sell for fractionally more than the Action #1 8.5 put up in simultaneous auctions in their current slabbed prisons. I have no vested interest in either character but if I had the chance at the nicest book in existence by a huge margin that was a Mile High, or one of the nicest copies of a book that has a staple issue that I would live in fear everyday thinking that the rust keeps migrating, it's no question, the AA#16.

As an aside, we as a hobby have to honestly evaluate the conservation vs. restoration issue for a book like this. To preserve this book for future generations the staples should be replaced. The life of this book is more important in the scheme of things than whether it's in a blue or green label! And we as as hobby shouldn't punish the value of the book.

Jim

I completely agree. Every time this book comes up for discussion it really saddens me that it is allowed to sit there with that potentially damaging rusty staple, because the market would hammer it if the staple were replaced. There really is a difference between conservation resto and purely aesthetic resto.

No matter what they call it, resto, conservation, in the eyes of a collector its taking away from its true original form and will hurt its value because a similar copy with original staples would fetch a heck of lot more. Not saying that replacing staples isn't the right think to do but its just not the same book at that point.

Lets take a look,

I agree with all ten..

I think a 9.4 unrestored Batman 1[and i mean totally unrestored] is quarentted to be the best in the world and that distinguishes it even more from the 9.0 that sold for 280k..There are not 20 copies in between 9.0 and 9.4 like there are with a silverage key book and that exasperates the difference between 9.0 and 9.4 even more with the Batman 1 meaning the difference between 9.0 and 9.4 in a goldenage book is huge! Much more so than a silverage book.. It is indeed at least debatible that a Batman 1 in 9.4 can crack a million

I dont know many books that are more important than Detective # 1 and there certainly arnt many books Rarer in unrestored condition than detective # 1.A classic cover and the 1st d.c comic.certainly one of the very most coveted golden age keys of all. Ill up it to 9.4 to crack a mill. I think its debatible.