• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

watchmen #1 CGC 9.8 sells for $366.50!?!

19 posts in this topic

There's still 'only' 68 of those 9.8s on the census. Anybody know the print run on Watchmen?

The only thing that's ever surprised me about the price of Watchmen issues is that they have always been so incredibly cheap. Just lately the 9.8 slabs have been going for good money at last.

Watchmen #1 is a far more important comic than, say, ASM #300, and far more widely read in reprint form. If comic prices were set by importance x rarity x popularity then it would sell for multiples of the peak ASM #300 price. I understand perfectly well why it doesn't, but I'm just saying, you know? :)

I had always been a Marvel fan when I DID collect comics 1975-1983,and since I went into the business side of it in 1991-1992 I really haven't read anything. I have always heard about how the Watchmen series was a major time in comics history...so I gave it a try. I think I lasted 4 issues into it. I just couldn't get into it. That was about 3-4 years ago. Around the same time I tried to read that,I gave The Dark Knight Returns from the '80's a try,and I couldn't make it through that either. It's gotta be me. Maybe I am brainwwashed by all the cheesy stuff!

I had always been a Marvel fan when I DID collect comics 1975-1983,and since I went into the business side of it in 1991-1992 I really haven't read anything. I have always heard about how the Watchmen series was a major time in comics history...so I gave it a try. I think I lasted 4 issues into it. I just couldn't get into it. That was about 3-4 years ago. Around the same time I tried to read that,I gave The Dark Knight Returns from the '80's a try,and I couldn't make it through that either. It's gotta be me. Maybe I am brainwwashed by all the cheesy stuff!

I tried reading Watchmen in 2002. Didn't make it all the way through it either. I didn't like any of the characters. They were all seriously flawed. I think I would have the same problem with DKR. But I plan on trying to read it again when the movie comes out.

:gossip: But around here you aren't allowed to say you didn't like Watchmen... or you risk being derided.

"If you didn't like Watchmen, you didn't understand Watchmen". :yeahok:

I tried reading Watchmen in 2002. Didn't make it all the way through it either. I didn't like any of the characters. They were all seriously flawed. I think I would have the same problem with DKR. But I plan on trying to read it again when the movie comes out.

:gossip: But around here you aren't allowed to say you didn't like Watchmen... or you risk being derided.

But essentially on a level...sort of...you got it! Watchmen was about breaking the mold of your established superhero's. Breaking them down to their requisite flaw's, and insecurities.

You recognised this in the story, but didn't press on. The books are a story, not a super hero story, but one about humanity in the face of superhero responsibilities, and obligations, mixed with ever faithful human nature.

This book should not be going for this much money, but due to the low print run ....... Wait, there are hundreds of thousands of these books available !?!

Aside from serious inflated prices, this was a great story. I only read it the first time 3 months ago, and regret not reading it sooner. It's one of those books that change the game. And the Frank Miller Dark Knight stories are great, I LOVE those books !

Most overrated comics series of all time :golfclap: A good comic book series but nowhere near the rep it gets.

But essentially on a level...sort of...you got it! Watchmen was about breaking the mold of your established superhero's. Breaking them down to their requisite flaw's, and insecurities.

You recognised this in the story, but didn't press on. The books are a story, not a super hero story, but one about humanity in the face of superhero responsibilities, and obligations, mixed with ever faithful human nature.

That may be a good synopsis, but it really doesn't address the fact that the story sucks! :) (relative to its rep anyways).

Most overrated comics series of all time :golfclap: A good comic book series but nowhere near the rep it gets.

Of course some people don't enjoy it. That's fine. I don't enjoy Charles Dickens, although I hear it's good.

On the other hand, when somebody says that the most critically acclaimed comic of all time is overrated, I think it's only fair that they tell us a comic series that they think is superior. It would help me to understand the difference of opinion at least :)