• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50 Rarest GA Books - CBM Survey (1993)

122 posts in this topic

just check your guide and make sure it is not missing 40 pages like all our copies :(

:o

Wait, maybe it's a rare variant! hm

well then, we have a bunch of them!...I didn't notice, but one of my customers did, so we checked them all, sure enough, all missing pages 513-544 :frustrated:

Was this the hardcover or paperback?

I just ordered the hardcover from Comic Supply... :gossip:

down here in Gator Land, we go the cheap route, paperback (thumbs u

hopefully, diamond has some correct replacements

Ouch, that's a pretty big mistake.

I checked my hardcover (here in Microsoft Land) and it has all the pages.

Without pages 513-544, you can't check to see how much your Conan's have gone up :o

It appears that the census didn't make it in. This is very distressing since it lists - for the first time ever in one place - every known ashcan and the number of copies known to exist. It wraps everything up nicely and puts an exclamation point on the rarity of these comics.

If only there were a place where such information could be made available to large and interested audience without having to be published in a book. :sorry:

lol

Mark and I have already decided we're going to post it here for everyone. Should be in the next few days.

:banana:

:banana: :banana:

By the way, great ashcan article. It was the first thing I read after the GA rankings and percentage increases. Whiz #1 is still in the top 10, albeit barely.

Thank you! Nice to know it was actually read! (thumbs u

Our first hit, Mark!

:headbang:

Hey guys, it would've been nice if the table of contents had attributed the article to the both of you--instead of Michael Kronenberg! And then, same said table of contents attributes the CGC process article to you two (and not Steve Borock). :doh: I'll have to say I am a fan of Overstreet, but this is Inexcusable Editing 101. Anyway, I just read your article and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to your forthcoming list. Had some questions about the article, if you don't mind. :wishluck:

If you, Gary, are the man when it comes to ashcans, I'm curious about Steve Geppi's interest in them. Has he also competed for them throughout the years? I assume there are ashcans in his newly-minted museum. Have you donated any? (by the way, that's truly astounding that in all those years of advertising in the Guide, you didn't get a single hit). Have you ever had a display of them at a con?

And Mark, what are the details on that graduate student who fell into favor with the leadership of DC in the '50s? (his name, school's name, name of paper--is there a link to it somewhere?) And what do you mean by the copy of Action Funnies still "bears his name"? Did someone at DC simply inscribe a note to him when they gave it to him?

Great article, guys, just wish it was longer! :applause: (maybe a book down the road?)

It appears that the census didn't make it in. This is very distressing since it lists - for the first time ever in one place - every known ashcan and the number of copies known to exist. It wraps everything up nicely and puts an exclamation point on the rarity of these comics.

If only there were a place where such information could be made available to large and interested audience without having to be published in a book. :sorry:

lol

Mark and I have already decided we're going to post it here for everyone. Should be in the next few days.

By the way, great ashcan article. It was the first thing I read after the GA rankings and percentage increases. Whiz #1 is still in the top 10, albeit barely.

Our first hit, Mark!

Hey guys, it would've been nice if the table of contents had attributed the article to the both of you--instead of Michael Kronenberg! And then, same said table of contents attributes the CGC process article to you two (and not Steve Borock). :doh: I'll have to say I am a fan of Overstreet, but this is Inexcusable Editing 101. Anyway, I just read your article and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to your forthcoming list. Had some questions about the article, if you don't mind. :wishluck:

Oh, you noticed that too. :eek:

If you, Gary, are the man when it comes to ashcans, I'm curious about Steve Geppi's interest in them. Has he also competed for them throughout the years? I assume there are ashcans in his newly-minted museum. Have you donated any? (by the way, that's truly astounding that in all those years of advertising in the Guide, you didn't get a single hit). Have you ever had a display of them at a con?

I'll let Gary respond to this, but I can say that Gary is not allowed to donate any ashcans except to me! :makepoint:

And Mark, what are the details on that graduate student who fell into favor with the leadership of DC in the '50s? (his name, school's name, name of paper--is there a link to it somewhere?) And what do you mean by the copy of Action Funnies still "bears his name"? Did someone at DC simply inscribe a note to him when they gave it to him?

This story appeared in a CBM 20+ years ago. Very, very few details (in fact, practically none). I desperately want to trace this mythical tale's origins but so far no one knows anything. One of the problems is that the individual's name is so common that it makes verification through tracking him down virtually impossible. I'll have to pull the copy out but my recollection is that the individual's name is inscribed in pencil in the interior.

Great article, guys, just wish it was longer! :applause: (maybe a book down the road?)

Thanks!!! That means a lot. This article is definitely not the last word. More to follow!!! (thumbs u

Steve and John Snyder have been interested in ashcans but not to the extent that they were interested in Church books and other more mainstream items. I've always thanked them for leaving this small area of collecting pretty much alone.

:foryou:

I'm not aware of any ashcans in Steve's museum. Dave Anderson owned a few (Superman Comics was one) and could have sold them to Steve at any time...

I've never been asked to donate any books to Steve's museum. I'm not aware of anyone being asked to donate books to it.

If Steve's museum of the Smithsonian or similar institution asked me to provide an important ashcan, I'd certainly consider it. But only as a loan.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I had a display at the Chicago con where I had the Superman Comics ashcan under a glass case carefully watched over by an armed guard. The display was accompanied by a sign designating the book as the World's Most Valuable Comic Book. Of course this was all subjective hyperbole on my part that was designed to attract the media. A photo of the book and guard made the front page of the Chicago Sun-Times!

Back when I was the largest retailer of comics in the country I did all kinds of crazy publicity stunts. :makepoint:

Man, it was a lot of fun!

lol

Our first hit, Mark!

Oh, you noticed that too. :eek:

I'll let Gary respond to this, but I can say that Gary is not allowed to donate any ashcans except to me! :makepoint:

This story appeared in a CBM 20+ years ago. Very, very few details (in fact, practically none). I desperately want to trace this mythical tale's origins but so far no one knows anything. One of the problems is that the individual's name is so common that it makes verification through tracking him down virtually impossible. I'll have to pull the copy out but my recollection is that the individual's name is inscribed in pencil in the interior.

Thanks!!! That means a lot. This article is definitely not the last word. More to follow!!! (thumbs u

So you're absolutely certain the graduate student story is legit?

Also, is the CBM you're referring to have Wertham on the cover?

And where is your follow-up on this article going to appear?

Okay, I'm done (I think) with my barrage of questions. :smile:

Steve and John Snyder have been interested in ashcans but not to the extent that they were interested in Church books and other more mainstream items. I've always thanked them for leaving this small area of collecting pretty much alone.

:foryou:

I'm not aware of any ashcans in Steve's museum. Dave Anderson owned a few (Superman Comics was one) and could have sold them to Steve at any time...

I've never been asked to donate any books to Steve's museum. I'm not aware of anyone being asked to donate books to it.

If Steve's museum of the Smithsonian or similar institution asked me to provide an important ashcan, I'd certainly consider it. But only as a loan.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I had a display at the Chicago con where I had the Superman Comics ashcan under a glass case carefully watched over by an armed guard. The display was accompanied by a sign designating the book as the World's Most Valuable Comic Book. Of course this was all subjective hyperbole on my part that was designed to attract the media. A photo of the book and guard made the front page of the Chicago Sun-Times!

Back when I was the largest retailer of comics in the country I did all kinds of crazy publicity stunts. :makepoint:

Man, it was a lot of fun!

Although Geppi's museum just came into being, I'm still kinda surprised your collection hasn't been sought out (I think it's a no-brainer that the call will come).

Nice Chicago Con Story..Armed Guard over ashcan! Photo on the front page of a major city newspaper--not too shabby. Other publicity stunts you'd like to share? :shrug: What was involved with you receding from your top retailer position? Did it have anything to do with Mile High Chuck, and would you consider him a master of publicity stunts? :think:

Nice Chicago Con Story..Armed Guard over ashcan! Photo on the front page of a major city newspaper--not too shabby. Other publicity stunts you'd like to share? :shrug: What was involved with you receding from your top retailer position? Did it have anything to do with Mile High Chuck, and would you consider him a master of publicity stunts? :think:

I sold my 6-store Moondog's chain to Classics International Entertainment in the spring of 1994. CIE then embarked on an ambitious plan to open 500 Moondog's stores, but was hamstrung by legal problems and management incompetency. I was subsequently hired to run the company to turn it around and get it profitable. At our peak in the summer of 1995 we operated 21 stores in 6 states. The post Death of Superman collapse of the comics market (along with all the incredibly bad decisions of the previous management team) drove the company into bankruptcy. I left the company in the fall of 1996.

Some of the "stunts" I created were having the Simpson's appear at one of my mall stores in 1992. Mr. T at the same mall. Each of these events drew thousands of people and garnered huge publicity.

The 24-hour Jim Lee coast-to-coast signing tour by Jim Lee for Wildcats 1 was another huge hit.

Marty Nodell's first comic convention appearance (at my tables) at the Chicago show in 1980 was a highlight of my career.

I bought a high-grade Marvel collection that I dubbed the Good Morning America collection because I convinced them to come to my office and interview me with them. Here's a photo taken that day.

GaryandGMACollection.jpg

There are a million of them!

In the mid-90s Chuck was already moving more into mail order while we were focusing on brick and mortar. Obviously he was much more in tune with the future of comics retailing. I'm not aware of any stunts that he was involved in.

I sold my 6-store Moondog's chain to Classics International Entertainment in the spring of 1994. CIE then embarked on an ambitious plan to open 500 Moondog's stores, but was hamstrung by legal problems and management incompetency. I was subsequently hired to run the company to turn it around and get it profitable. At our peak in the summer of 1995 we operated 21 stores in 6 states. The post Death of Superman collapse of the comics market (along with all the incredibly bad decisions of the previous management team) drove the company into bankruptcy. I left the company in the fall of 1996.

Some of the "stunts" I created were having the Simpson's appear at one of my mall stores in 1992. Mr. T at the same mall. Each of these events drew thousands of people and garnered huge publicity.

The 24-hour Jim Lee coast-to-coast signing tour by Jim Lee for Wildcats 1 was another huge hit.

Marty Nodell's first comic convention appearance (at my tables) at the Chicago show in 1980 was a highlight of my career.

I bought a high-grade Marvel collection that I dubbed the Good Morning America collection because I convinced them to come to my office and interview me with them. Here's a photo taken that day.

GaryandGMACollection.jpg

In the mid-90s Chuck was already moving more into mail order while we were focusing on brick and mortar. Obviously he was much more in tune with the future of comics retailing. I'm not aware of any stunts that he was involved in.

Thanks for the information and very interesting anecdotes; sounds like a fascinating journey. And as for the GMA collection... :hail:

GaryandGMACollection.jpg

Thanks for the information and very interesting anecdotes; sounds like a fascinating journey. And as for the GMA collection... :hail:

Dan Greenhalgh bought the entire collection. Yep, there are 2 AF 15's on my desk... :o

GaryandGMACollection.jpg

Dan Greenhalgh bought the entire collection. Yep, there are 2 AF 15's on my desk... :o

I'll settle for just one on any piece of my furniture. :smile:

I am definitely NOT certain the story is legit. I haven't been able to confirm it yet (not that I have really tried to be honest, but I intend to do so) so all we have to go on so far is the CBM article.

I will try to post the CBM article in this thread. I believe I did post it once before so I should be able to do so again. I never had the actual magazine, just the article that someone e-mailed to me so I don't know what is on the cover.

No plans yet for where (or when) the follow-up article will be published. Possibly in a future version of the OSPG or Scoop. Alter Ego would likely be a sensible place for it to appear.

Whew. Any more questions? :grin:

I am definitely NOT certain the story is legit. I haven't been able to confirm it yet (not that I have really tried to be honest, but I intend to do so) so all we have to go on so far is the CBM article.

I will try to post the CBM article in this thread. I believe I did post it once before so I should be able to do so again. I never had the actual magazine, just the article that someone e-mailed to me so I don't know what is on the cover.

No plans yet for where (or when) the follow-up article will be published. Possibly in a future version of the OSPG or Scoop. Alter Ego would likely be a sensible place for it to appear.

Whew. Any more questions? :grin:

No, that should do it. :blush: