• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for those that ship a lot of books.

6 posts in this topic

Ok, Guys and Girls

I'm about to sell many large lots on ebay and just to get an idea, does anyone know what the average cost to ship a long box of books cost. I know its different from zone to zone but if someone has a rough idea they came up with that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

thumbsup2.gif

Media Mail is single rate right?

You don't want to use Priority for large lots of moderns.

The shipping costs would eat into the bidding you would receive.

Media Mail is single rate right?

You don't want to use Priority for large lots of moderns.

The shipping costs would eat into the bidding you would receive.

Your Post Office may not let you send comic books Media Mail. Mine won't. frown.gif

If you are sending out 100+ books at once, check out Fedex and UPS as well as the USPS. I sent out some short boxes of comics once and found that (factoring in insurance) Fedex cost half as much as the USPS! This is not normally the case, but it can be worth a look (especially if you can't ship media mail).

I had good luck shipping short boxes of comics packed inside magazine boxes with packing material and taped up tight. All the comics were bagged and boarded. I packed then in the short box fairly snug. Put cardboard dividers about every 25 comics to provide a little extra crush resistence.

If you are looking at shipping huge lots of comics (over 100 books), your best bet is to break them up into 14 pound boxes and ship them Bound Printed Matter. Unlike Media Mail, BPM has a weight limit of 15 pounds, but it is still VERY cheap to use. Newsprint comics run around 8 per pound, newer comics around 7 per pound, so you can comfortably pack around 90-110 per box (a few more if you do not have boards with them).

It is almost always cheaper to send two boxes of 75 comics each via Bound Printed than it is to send one box of 150 via UPS or Fedex Ground. Just keep track of the weight as you pack them. An ounce over 15 pounds and the Postal employees will just stare at you blankly and demand that you pay the higher Parcel Post rate...

Thanks for the input all, thumbsup2.gif

I'm in the process of getting the list together for my client.

The auction will include.

All Marvel books from 1960 to present

amazing spiderman

x-men

F Four

Daredevil

ironman

Sgt Fury

marvel presents

marvel collector items

marvel team up

hulk

and many more. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The seller just wants me to list them all at once and get rid of them.

I'll be shipping about 700 books shocked.gif so I'm jst looking for the best way to do it for myself and the buyer.

Thanks again for the help. hi.gif