• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 Overstreet Price Guide Comes Out Today!

162 posts in this topic

The lack of excitement here concerning the new OS should trouble Gemstone. In years past, this thread would be one of the most popular even a week before the book hits the streets.

Now it seems the excitement has been replaced with indifference. Sad state of affairs for what was once the highlight of the collecting year in this hobby...

Jim

screw the guide, I wish I could buy the market report by itself

that all I really want to read anyway.

:P

The lack of excitement here concerning the new OS should trouble Gemstone. In years past, this thread would be one of the most popular even a week before the book hits the streets.

Now it seems the excitement has been replaced with indifference. Sad state of affairs for what was once the highlight of the collecting year in this hobby...

Jim

agreed- for the serious slab collector, gpa is the go to place. OS has it's place but certainly not the one it used to hold.

Is it possible that prices are kept low so stores and dealers can buy them cheaper knowing full well they can charge more? 2c

That's the general conspiracy theory...

But then again, I was hearing that 20 years ago. When I restarted collecting in the late 80s, I mentioned OS to a store owner. His reply was the Guide wasn't an accurate reflection of the market and the only comics that saw significant movements were true keys and copies Overstreet had in his own collection. Not sure if it was true but it seems people having issues with the Guide isn't a new phenomenon...

Jim

Hmmm... just great! Another $25 down the chute! Oh well, I do like reading those "market reports". :whatev:

I nabbed mine @ my LCS for $25 last yr... any better deals out there? meh

What is this "price guide" you talk about? (shrug)

I'm still using my copy of #34. ;)

I'm right about there too. I am using the last small format guide, # ??. I can't recall. Don't get me wrong, the guide is useful but I don't need a new version every year or every 5 years either. I used to be puzzled at people saying that they don't need a guide since they know how much they are willing to pay for the books they're looking after but I will say that I also have reached that point and only need the guide when I venture off my usual collecting habits for a reference point. Besides that, the guide is useful for info on series, characters and artists. (thumbs u

I usually buy it every other year. I didn't buy it last year so this is the year I should buy one, but there's a problem, I don't want one.

Is there anything in there that has changed in the last two years other then the values (worthless), adds (who cares) and market reports (dated)?

Ditto, alot of the prices are a joke... There are plenty of OS Advisors on these boards. What are you guys doing?? Does Overstreet not follow the market :shrug:

For the most part the prices are "fair" , but prices on some keys, golden age books, HTF books, etc.. are ridiculous.. is X-Men 1 in 9.2 still less than 20K?

As one of the advisors, I think you will find the answer if you read Bob Overstreet's introduction for the Market Reports.

Ditto, alot of the prices are a joke... There are plenty of OS Advisors on these boards. What are you guys doing?? Does Overstreet not follow the market :shrug:

For the most part the prices are "fair" , but prices on some keys, golden age books, HTF books, etc.. are ridiculous.. is X-Men 1 in 9.2 still less than 20K?

I agree with Mutantkeys alot.

In my opinion the OS book is a great source for basic realisitc guide prices, but some of their key SA books are not even close to keeping up with the overall market. :makepoint:

I am also frustrated that OS basically leaves the modern market out in the dumps, I don't even know why they bother to put any other comic in the book past 1992. They don't have a clue on how to determine basic good modern books prices. Off course I know most people don't buy the OSPG for market reports on modern books, but without modern books they really is no future for our hobby to growth and continue, K!

Please don't make us people who like to know yearly Modern book prices have to rely on Wizard, :boo:.

Is OS not watching the current market or listening to their OS advisors? (shrug)

When are books like Marvel Captain America or Iron man going to at least get alittle book jump from the 70's to early 80's, its good stuff!!!

I will skip this year because all the market reports usually say the same thing, plus I can pass on all the comic dealers saying how they pay the most for collections compared to other dealers because as we all know they don't!

rantrant

Ok I am done, lol

As one of the advisors, I think you will find the answer if you read Bob Overstreet's introduction for the Market Reports.

I.O.W. buy the book...

lol

I usually buy it every other year. I didn't buy it last year so this is the year I should buy one, but there's a problem, I don't want one.

Is there anything in there that has changed in the last two years other then the values (worthless), adds (who cares) and market reports (dated)?

That depends. Do you like page after page dealing with cardboard/pamphlets from one hundred years ago?

Or maybe you'd love to read multiple pages on BigLittleBooks?.

Is it possible that prices are kept low so stores and dealers can buy them cheaper knowing full well they can charge more? 2c

Back home we'd call that sorta thang frawed or collushion. Taint supposa be legal, so far as I know.

Do you like page after page dealing with cardboard/pamphlets from one hundred years ago?

Nope.

Or maybe you'd love to read multiple pages on BigLittleBooks?.

Nope.

That's all I'm missing?

His reply was the... only comics that saw significant movements were true keys and copies Overstreet had in his own collection.

Jim

Interesting. I wasn't concerned about the guide back then. But I, and many others, have noticed the "true keys" haven't moved even close to actual sales since the mid to late 90s. What ocurred about that time which conspiracy theorists might surmise to have made the guide either unconcerned about reporting "true keys" correctly (or worse, actually determined to report them wrong)?

Back home we'd call that sorta thang frawed or collushion. Taint supposa be legal, so far as I know.

As a part-time/hobby dealer and collector, I call it smart business! lol

Seriously, though, the OSPG pricing scheme allows me to buy books locally at a lower price than the going market rate for my own collection/to flip online, while on the otherhand overpricing other :censored: that I can buy online and flip/trade locally for a generous profit. It is the perfect win-win situation! :devil::acclaim:

I haven't read it yet so I am guessing the intro and the market reports do something they've done in the past -- report sales "over guide" and give a few of the realistic figures, while the actual listings themselves remain mandaciously below reality?

Market reports say one thing while listings say another. I guess it's up to the individual which part of the book he shows to the other party -- depending on whether he's buying or selling.

A couple of years ago I mentioned on these here boards that the Guide could save lots and lots of pages if they'd just stop listing so many worthless modern titles. Arnold Blumberg replied with derision (surprise, surprise) but I still think the idea has merit.

I understand it's not just a price guide, but an identification guide for books one may not have heard of, but seriously, isn't it time to separate the two? We can have the more 'serious' guide for pre-1980 issues, hopefully with more accurate pricing and certainly more room to stretch out, and the other guide for those who want to drool over modern stuff.

Everybody wins, especially Gemstone - they can put out TWO or more guides in a year with less trouble, and double the advertising revenue.