• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate ebay

37 posts in this topic

Why would you hate on eBay for rules that they set for their own website...if you don't like the rules use a differant venue... :screwy:

:screwy:??? Gee thanks ArAich for the thoughtful response. (shrug)

The problem is that how is someone supposed to know the rules? If you've never sold a cap gun on ebay then how do you know they have such rules? It's not in the listing process that I could see when I listed it.

My beef is therefore with the following:

1. They pulled the auction with no warning whatsoever. They didn't send me a warning telling me I had violated some rule, or say "change this or we'll pull the auction" and give me a chance to right whatever wrong had been made. That would have been nice.

2. They sent me a form letter that did not tell me what I did wrong and why they pulled the auction. These are clearly toy cap guns, and my title and description noted that they were cap guns. And they were listed in the toys section. So I am left to I guess at what I did wrong. Perhaps it's because I don't have an orange cork in the barrel? Or maybe something else? I guess so now that they sent the policy AFTER they pulled the auction. But I'm still left to guess rather than know for sure.

3. This is the first time I've ever tried to sell a capgun. When I listed this there was no indication from ebay that there were any such rules about selling toy guns or cap guns otherwise I'd have been happy to do whatever it is they want me to do to make this a non-violating auction.

I have no problem following their rules but they could be a little more forthcoming about them and maybe give someone a chance to fix a violation before pulling the auction, and be a little more specific about what's wrong.

#3 is a great idea. You're right, when you went through the listing process there should have been an interstitial, or dialog, alerting you to guidelines associated with listing an item of that nature. Being proactive in this case would have saved both you and eBay time and money. Sorry about the problem you experienced.

I faced a similar, although not identical, situation where one of my items was flagged for keyword spamming. While I knew I was bending the rules slightly, it was common practice among sellers in that vertical and someone must have turned me in. I was just trying to keep up with the Jones'. In that case, I didn't feel it was eBay's fault, but someone else's overzealous competitive nature coming through.

More than anything, I would have just liked them to have given me a heads up on what I did wrong and allowed me to fix it before yanking the auction. Now I'll have to relist, but still don't know 100% what the auction got yanked for, so it's possible that I could relist it THINKING I fixed it but it may still be in violation somehow and then THAT auction could get pulled... doh!

Make Hulk head hurt! lol

Or maybe I'll just list them on craigs list.

Why would you hate on eBay for rules that they set for their own website...if you don't like the rules use a differant venue... :screwy:

:screwy:??? Gee thanks ArAich for the thoughtful response. (shrug)

The problem is that how is someone supposed to know the rules? If you've never sold a cap gun on ebay then how do you know they have such rules? It's not in the listing process that I could see when I listed it.

My beef is therefore with the following:

1. They pulled the auction with no warning whatsoever. They didn't send me a warning telling me I had violated some rule, or say "change this or we'll pull the auction" and give me a chance to right whatever wrong had been made. That would have been nice.

2. They sent me a form letter that did not tell me what I did wrong and why they pulled the auction. These are clearly toy cap guns, and my title and description noted that they were cap guns. And they were listed in the toys section. So I am left to I guess at what I did wrong. Perhaps it's because I don't have an orange cork in the barrel? Or maybe something else? I guess so now that they sent the policy AFTER they pulled the auction. But I'm still left to guess rather than know for sure.

3. This is the first time I've ever tried to sell a capgun. When I listed this there was no indication from Ebay that there were any such rules about selling toy guns or cap guns otherwise I'd have been happy to do whatever it is they want me to do to make this a non-violating auction.

I have no problem following their rules but they could be a little more forthcoming about them and maybe give someone a chance to fix a violation before pulling the auction, and be a little more specific about what's wrong.

You're right. If you still have the auction number you might want to contact Ebay and ask why they pulled your auction. E-mailing them as you posted above.

It is frustrating when you are left in limbo. I've asked them questions recently and got responses back from two people within three days. Best of luck. :)

i have had many things pulled by ebay. mainly war memorablilia like "tinnies". they are not "propoganda" to me but to them im a skin head (im hispanic). i am working with my lawyers to make sure im doing it all legal, but im going to create a auction site that has no final value fees and as long as you arent selling guns(bang / dead kind) gang/terrorist stuff like a burnt flag or kkk meeting pictures. you will be fine.

i and probably many others have baught things that some consider offensive, which means some1 had to be selling it. a bb/cap gun in my mind is harmless but as some have stated even the toy companies have to follow the guide lines on the toys. i havnt found it yet but i know i saw something on the web about the guidelines for toy guns. the orenge cap the branding of something very visable to law enforcment. and i think it is even illegal to spray paint a toy gun black!

sorry to here of some of these rediculous pulling,but as some1 that is starting a auction site soon, i know there are alot of side laws and state laws on what can and cannot be sold where.

Gotta love these unbelievable . I was selling a pair of TOY CAP GUNS and they pulled the acution because it violated their FIREARMS rules. What? I clearly said these were toy cap guns, identified them as such, and had PICTURES that showed them with the fake sides of the bullet chambers that slide open vertically (uh, real guns don't work that way).

But they pulled the auction anyway. Unreal. I can't believe that brain-dead numbskulls like this run the world's most profitable auction site.

doh!

ebay makes no sense to me whatsoever. About 3 years ago I used to participate in Airsoft. When I quit I put all my stuff up in one auction. I had a hopped up M4A1 assault rifle with semi and full auto select, a bi-pod mount, red-dot laser scope and silencer on it. It was the most bad arse looking thing ever. Most people I showed it to thought the thing was real. And it didn't have that orange ring at the end of the barrell or on the silencer. Anyway, I list the thing and somewhere I know I put that it was an airsoft gun and couldn't fire real ammunition. ebay doesn't say a peep, I sell the gun and all my gear and happily pocket $800 bucks. So ebay had no problem with me selling my assault rifle which would get you shot and killed instantly if you brandished it in public yet they yank your toy cap guns? :screwy:

I love eBay at the moment - I've been getting sweet stuff from jscomics, fantasy-comics, bobcat.enterprises and loisandclark. Been paying through the nose for some of it though (thanks cd4ever :hi: )

Also got some gud chit from board buddies selling on eBay - brokomics (Thor 210 in 9.4 :cloud9: ) and robtothec