• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark and Gary's Ashcan Census

77 posts in this topic

Concerning the possibility of an existence of a Double Action #1. Recently when I was paging through the Price Guide No. 10 I noted this statement in the 1979 markert reports:

"Four more copies of DOUBLE ACTION turned up and sold for record prices. All of these copies were in excellent condition with white cover and pages. Even a No. 1 was included in the four, the rest being No. 2's." (shrug)

Concerning the possibility of an existence of a Double Action #1. Recently when I was paging through the Price Guide No. 10 I noted this statement in the 1979 markert reports:

"Four more copies of DOUBLE ACTION turned up and sold for record prices. All of these copies were in excellent condition with white cover and pages. Even a No. 1 was included in the four, the rest being No. 2's." (shrug)

Whose market report?

No individual market reports back then. The info concerning the Double Action's is under the heading "The 1979 Market Report".

Then we're pretty much back to square one! doh!

Yes, unfortuantely it would appear that way. I checked out the "acknowledgment" section of the #10 guide and Bob Overstreet thanks about a hundred different people for their contributions, but does not specify where he got the Double Action info from. :frustrated:

FYI, Hakes Collectibles (www.hakes.com) has two ashcan covers for sale. The auction ends Thurs morning at around noon EST.

Lot 1826 Screen Gems Ashcan (current bid $605 + BP)

Lot 1827 Animal Antics Ashcan (current bid $847 + BP)

This is an excellent opportunity for someone to pick up these ashcans at a very reasonable price.

I have no affiliation with the seller or Hakes. :gossip:

Anyone on the boards pick them up?

Final prices:

Lot 1826 Screen Gems Ashcan ($891.82 includes 15% Buyer's Premium)

Lot 1827 Animal Antics Ashcan ($1,139.76 includes 15% Buyer's Premium)

Not bad prices.

Final prices:

Not bad prices.

Wow. They weren't even ashcans - just the covers.

Final prices:

Not bad prices.

Strong prices for rarities right now. The Action Comics ashcan just sold for $50,000. The Superman Comics ashcan (9.0) is for sale right now too...

Final prices:

Not bad prices.

Strong prices for rarities right now. The Action Comics ashcan just sold for $50,000. The Superman Comics ashcan (9.0) is for sale right now too...

hm - got links gary?

Ashcan 9.0 probably being reoffered via HA.com archive.

Last week on eBay, Double Action #2 circulated copy Cgc 1.0 amateur resto hammered at over $3,500, fyi. 2c

cgc 0.5 unfortunately....