• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Advisor Doug Sulipas comments on Canadian Newsstand Variants

112 posts in this topic

Canadian Editions are variants in a roundabout sorta of way.

I don't see these gaining much traction. Few currently care about these variants and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Like Doug said, there are 1000s of these issues out there for someone to collect. Big difference from the 30/35 cent variants where a collector can get some type of completion and satisfaction to his search. Honestly, this seems like an attempt for dealers to create another variant market.

But what do I know...I've been wrong before...

Jim

Canadian Editions are variants in a roundabout sorta of way.

I don't see these gaining much traction. Few currently care about these variants and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Like Doug said, there are 1000s of these issues out there for someone to collect. Big difference from the 30/35 cent variants where a collector can get some type of completion and satisfaction to his search. Honestly, this seems like an attempt for dealers to create another variant market.

But what do I know...I've been wrong before...

Jim

Well we certainly know you were wrong in posting that pic over in Showcase-4s for sale thread!!!! :screwy::sick:

Something that may not be well known, is Doug had included this piece on Canadian Variants in his market reports in the past but Overstreet edited it out. I don't think there is anyone out there that is pushing as hard as Doug to get the message out on these, but to date for the most part it does remain a non-issue.

Certainly Overstreet not editing out that part of his report is a positive step. Where will this go? Who knows.

While Canadas land mass is obviously larger than the UK, The population is miniscule in comparrison. Thus a tiny print run as opposed to the US and UK

---------------------------------

In 1985 let's say, Canada had roughly 1/2 the population of the UK, not really "miniscule" in comparison, and considering I'd figure Canadians are vastly more likely to be reading U.S. comics than Brits (who have a wide variety of their own comics), I really have to wonder if there really would be much of a difference unless canadians were much more likely to buy from a comic shop, rather than a newstand/variety shop, so they wouldn't be buying, proportionally, as many newstand copies.

as for dealers buying palettes of direct copies in bulk, yes, that's true, but what about rarety of canadian v. U.S. newstand editions? is it more like 10-20 to 1?

just curious why pence copies are viewed as toilet paper and I just don't understand why canadian copies should necessarily be so much "rarer" given the above re: relative populations. maybe if pence copies were distributed throughout europe to armed forces members I'd see them being more common, but i don't think that's how it worked.

could it be that near the u.s. border newstands would be getting u.s. copies and just charging a higher price than cover so really the canadian copies were just distributed in parts of canada?

While Canadas land mass is obviously larger than the UK, The population is miniscule in comparrison. Thus a tiny print run as opposed to the US and UK

In 1985 let's say, Canada had roughly 1/2 the population of the UK, not really "miniscule" in comparison, and considering I'd figure Canadians are vastly more likely to be reading U.S. comics than Brits (who have a wide variety of their own comics), I really have to wonder if there really would be much of a difference unless canadians were much more likely to buy from a comic shop, rather than a newstand/variety shop, so they wouldn't be buying, proportionally, as many newstand copies.

as for dealers buying palettes of direct copies in bulk, yes, that's true, but what about rarety of canadian v. U.S. newstand editions? is it more like 10-20 to 1?

just curious why pence copies are viewed as toilet paper and I just don't understand why canadian copies should necessarily be so much "rarer" given the above re: relative populations. maybe if pence copies were distributed throughout europe to armed forces members I'd see them being more common, but i don't think that's how it worked.

could it be that near the u.s. border newstands would be getting u.s. copies and just charging a higher price than cover so really the canadian copies were just distributed in parts of canada?

Good thoughts here.

Do not Marvel pence editions disappear in the mid-60s and therefore time makes them rarer than Canadian books from later?

Good thoughts here.

Do not Marvel pence editions disappear in the mid-60s and therefore time makes them rarer than Canadian books from later?

Pence copies didn't disappear in the mid-60's :gossip:

In the early/mid 80s,when a book got hot and my distributors were sold out,they often were able to obtain large quantities of canadian priced copies. i remember this was especially true for Thor 337,so its not as if someone had to raid the newstands to obtain these.

i don't think there is or will be a hugh market for these. Not at premium prices.

Good thoughts here.

Pence copies didn't disappear in the mid-60's :gossip:

some titles though, such as Amazing Spider-Man were not distributed in the UK, due to uk reprints, but I'm not sure when this started. It was certainly the case in the 70s

it was post issue 200 for both ASM and FF before UK distribution resumed.

ASM wasn't distributed in the U.K. from 121 to 214 (i.e. 1972 to 1980). After a handful of issues (214 - 220 or so) the dual pricing came in, and that ended the pence copy "variant". Basically the Marvel U.K. b & w weeklies ended and direct distribution kicked in.

Very frustrating that Marvel didn't ship its' number one title to the U.K. for most of the '70s. For a long period ND (non-distributed) ASMs (and some other titles) carried a premium in the U.K. 'cause they were scarce there, but with ebay, that anomaly is basically gone.