• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The greatest 'Good Girl' artist

12 posts in this topic

I was reading The Superhero Book, a semi-encyclopedia about the comics, when I came across the entry for GHOST and its artwork “by comics’ most celebrated ‘Good Girl’ artist, Adam Hughes”.

Truth be told, I love a lot of Adam Hughes’ artwork and he is a great ‘Good Girl’ artist. And his cover work remains, consistently, Girl-oriented.

But, reflecting on Dave Stevens, I started to wonder: Who is/was the comics most celebrated ‘Good Girl’ artist? Is a Michael Turner or Frank Cho or Al Rio (who wanders through these boards now and again) even in the running? Jim Silke with his limited Rascals/Page Girl-output? Bill Black, with his large Girl-output from AC Comics?

(And is "Girl-output" really as horrible sounding as I think it is?)

Has Hughes really taken the mantle from Stevens, Matt Baker, Frazetta, Wally Wood...?

Jim Silke's output is significantly more than Rascals in Paradise. He's done a couple of comics on Bettie Page, at least two trades on Bettie, a Pin-Up book and a number of other pin-ups which have seen publication. Granted his output is not large but it is more than simply Rascals.

Others that haven't been mentioned: Serpieri, Manara, Casotto, Brunner, Bair, Tex, Lago.

I'd probably have to give my "nod" to either Dave Stevens or Frank Frazetta as the greatest. I'd lean towards Dave because that was the primary focus of most of his art while Frazetta focused on many, many other things. Frazetta might rate as the greatest comic artist though.

Ron Embleton's "Oh, Wicked Wanda!" strip, which ran in PENTHOUSE magazine was superb. This was the UK's answer to PLAYBOY'S "Little Annie Fanny".

At one time I owned an original, wich was gorgeous full-color painted art.

Must get another example . . . hm

68xwed.jpg

Briefly, I flirted with the idea of picking up an original "Wicked Wanda" piece -- and should have acted. It disappeared quickly and I've not seen another.

I realize, too, that my Nationalism is showing. Every artist I mentioned is/was primarily an American artist....

Briefly, I flirted with the idea of picking up an original "Wicked Wanda" piece -- and should have acted. It disappeared quickly and I've not seen another.

I realize, too, that my Nationalism is showing. Every artist I mentioned is/was primarily an American artist....

Sometimes it's worth remembering that strip-illustration is worldwide . . .