• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q for Joanna....

6 posts in this topic

Is it just a coincidence that your a big 15_1_46.gif fan and that the new Wonder Girl shares your last name?!?! Just caught that reading the new Teen Titans last night...

Or is this something that has been discussed before and I've totally missed...

No, not a coincidence. She was named after me.

Is it just a coincidence that your a big 15_1_46.gif fan and that the new Wonder Girl shares your last name?!?! Just caught that reading the new Teen Titans last night...

Or is this something that has been discussed before and I've totally missed...

No, not a coincidence. She was named after me.

893whatthe.gif... thumbsup2.gif

So how did that come about? I recall reading a post where you actually worked with DC on revising Wonder Woman's origin? (Or Something like that)... popcorn.gif

I wrote her origin for Secret Files, but that came later.

Basically, I started writing letters to the editor every month, giving my opinion of the issues. When Paul Kupperberg took over as editor, he took a shine to me (though I gave him a hard time for some of the things in the book). John Byrne signed on to write/illustrate the book and Paul told him to contact me for background information, continuity, and general knowledge of the character. John IM'd me on AOL (everyone was on AOL back then -- we're talking a long time ago), we started talking and within a short time felt like we'd known each other forever. Not being a Marvel fan, I knew very little of John's work. Just his Superman stuff. Despite this lacking (nothing gave him more fun than laughing at my ignorance about all things Marvel), we formed a fast friendship.

One day, early in our discussions, he told me he was introducing a new supporting cast and was going to create a new Wonder Girl. They had an Italian last name and I facetiously lamented that there were no good Scandinavian characters anymore. The next thing I knew, the characters had my last name. It was entirely unexpected (I had been joking, and he knew that I had been) but pretty darn cool. He always claimed that I was Cassie's Aunt Joanna.

-- Joanna