• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #74......may I call this a 9.8?

39 posts in this topic

Well, I was goona go with 9.8 because of the black cover, and it does look great! ut if it was to go to CGC I can see a 9.4 or 9.6 coming out. 15% graded in that issue is a 9.8, thats pretty high. Thet WILL look at them figures and downgrade it.

But I damn sure bet that that book is better than all the 9.8s on role!

I ain't no hater, but if this is a 9.4, then almost all my other books, slabbed and raw, are really overgraded.
Nope.....I was calling the other guy a hater! 893frustrated.gif

Looks like a 9.4 to 9.6 but you really can't judge a book by a flat scan at all. Any stress on the back cover? Are there any non-color stress lines (I think I see a few near the spine also).

Still, super sharp book.

You were calling me a hater?

I think he WAS! shocked.gif

The natural bias for the owner of a book is to overgrade. The natural bias for an experienced collector being asked to publically grade someone else's book is to undergrade. So he was probably thinking you were falling victim to the natural bias that anyone who posts their grading opinion in these forums is susceptible to.

What I have noticed is people on here tend to undergrade like a mofo on here when there is a "grade this book" type of thread...and then overgrade when they actually sell their own books??? DON'T HATE! sumo.gifgossip.giftongue.gif

You (meaning anyone) can not accurately grade a flat scan. So it isn't unusual to grade what you see and then drop a notch or two for what you can't see.

Also, almost everyone overgrades their books when they sell because THEY CAN.

At best, they show the buyer a FLAT SCAN and don't downgrade for those defects that can't be seen in the scan.

So basically you're saying that every book WILL look better in a scan than it actually is?

See, I don't agree, and that's because I'm looking at the book infront of me. There are no hidden defects, and I would have pointed them out if there were. I'm not selling the book, so I have nothing to gain from making it appear better than it is. I've said it many times, but people are so used to looking at medium sized scans, they don't take into account that a larger scan is actually amplifying everything that's there, and sometimes creates anomolies that are not. For example, the scan is making it seem like there are non coor-breaking creases in the white area, but upon examining the book, they're non-existant.

I wish all dealers graded like some of you guys on here. Hell, on Ebay's this is a 12.8.

I ain't no hater, but if this is a 9.4, then almost all my other books, slabbed and raw, are really overgraded.
Nope.....I was calling the other guy a hater! 893frustrated.gif

I see.......then maybe you should of hit reply from the right post. stooges.gif

I don't, and regularly see my VF copies being sold as NM by the previous buyer. 893frustrated.gif

Maybe I should get on the gravy train?

What I have noticed is people on here tend to undergrade like a mofo on here when there is a "grade this book" type of thread...and then overgrade when they actually sell their own books??? DON'T HATE! sumo.gifgossip.giftongue.gif
You know it! wink.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't, and regularly see my VF copies being sold as NM by the previous buyer.

Maybe I should get on the gravy train?

That's why I used the term ALMOST.

It possible you are the exception, but I have bought unslabbed books from many dealers and other sellers and have yet to get what I can clearly say is an undergraded book.