• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collection of 100,000 books about to be offered

296 posts in this topic

This is a serious question Jim:

If you dont want to contribute to anything that Matt has been involved in, how in the fak do you know who to buy from and who not to?

I ask...and since I'm not actively buying high grade slabs, the chances of getting one of his minimized...

And for full disclosure, I have a handful of Matt's "beauties" in my collection (well actually they're separated). I bought them cheap a couple years ago to check out his work...

Jim

Matt is, according to the article, simply helping Stephen launch the website and whom he has worked with on the Pedigree Book.

I don't want to get into the pressing debate, but this is NOT what the article is saying:

Stephen Ritter, a long-time dealer on the show circuit, decided to sell his massive personal collection of 35 years, and found it the perfect reason to launch a new website. Assisting him is Matt Nelson

The paragraph all relates to the subject of "decided to sell his massive personal collection of 35 years", of which Matt Nelson is assisting.

How in the world could anyone read it otherwise - basic English folks.

If he is now able to get into the comics business "full time" now why is he selling off his own collection?

If I now had more time I would be finishing it not selling it off.

Are you close to retiring? Your values will change when you are, and really, it would be a nice, new hobby/job to take up buying and selling books, travelling around meeting up with old friends, etc.,. Not to mention, after 35 years of buying and selling books to build up a collection (he has been at least a part-time dealer for a long time) he probably has a great "inventory" ready to go.

Didn't Steve used to sell in the CBG in the pre-ebay days? hm

I guess it does signal a life change for him.

Perhaps he sees it as a good time to sell and realize profit for retirement.

I just thought as a dealer he would have lots of books not just his collection to sell.

I can't wait to see what he has.

And with the exception of Jim, one is a shill and one is a one-trick/topic pony that adds so very little to the conversation

Well, I'm not Jim or a shill.

That makes me the "one-trick/topic pony that adds so very little to the conversation". :acclaim:

Too many posts...of no value. hm

Maybe if I add more of these? :P:grin:;):applause::foryou::busy::angel:

:sorry:

It just seems you never post unless it is either to:

a: Slam pressing (which is ok as you disagree with it)

b:Take a shot at CGC

c:Post some graphic which revolves around either a or b

d:Some combination of a and b together.

Guys, these comments are really unwarranted and this thread should be pulled before the rest of the lynch mob joins in. doh!

Do any of you know Steve Ritter? Have any of you ever met him, or done business with him? Totally ridiculous... doh!

Had dinner with him and 7 or 8 other dealers and collectors just two weeks ago. Seemed like a great guy, and I look forward to seeing his site. (thumbs u

You must've missed my excellent 'video game' idea posted earlier. CLICK :)

Or it might be...

a: There's not as much pro/con balance to the boards since many posters have left or been evicted. Anything the slightest 'con' sticks out now and seems repetitive.

b: Anything that's not all blue skies and sunshine is "taking a shot at CGC"

c: You're hypersensitive since 'the debate is over' for you and think questioning-type conversation is either 'a shill' or 'beating a dead horse'.

d:Some combination of a, b or c together.

If he is now able to get into the comics business "full time" now why is he selling off his own collection?

Because it's a great time to cash out. Lots of deep-walleted buyers, CGC is still in its infancy, the Census hasn't exploded like it will in another 10+ years, and he's likely at an age where a big pile of $$ is far more attractive than a big pile of funny books.

Smart guy. :applause:

Or it might be...

a: There's not as much pro/con balance to the boards since many posters have left or been evicted. Anything the slightest 'con' sticks out now and seems repetitive.

c: You're hypersensitive since 'the debate is over' for you and think questioning-type conversation is either 'a shill' or 'beating a dead horse'.

touche

Issue I see is that you dont seem (unless im missing it :shy:) about anything other than what I outlined above.

Not hypersensitive, een though i have no issue with pressing i can understand that others do and respect that.

CGC has its issues, but to me, they dont seem to be as glaring or sinister as they seem to be to you

Also, after one year he's still going to have most of his collection. Sure, the best books will sell fast but an awful lot of books will still be in inventory. It's going to be a slow process of saying goodbye to his old "friends." And thus less painful than some might think.

Or it might be...

touche

Issue I see is that you dont seem (unless im missing it :shy:) about anything other than what I outlined above.

Not hypersensitive, een though i have no issue with pressing i can understand that others do and respect that.

CGC has its issues, but to me, they dont seem to be as glaring or sinister as they seem to be to you

It's all about balance. Not everyone sports rose-colored glasses....nor do they have any intention to do so. Davenport has contributed a great deal to these forums, and I'm glad he posts what he does.

Or it might be...

touche

It's all about balance. Not everyone sports rose-colored glasses....nor do they have any intention to do so. Davenport has contributed a great deal to these forums, and I'm glad he posts what he does.

so are you inferring that I do Chris?

Or it might be...

touche

so are you inferring that I do Chris?

I have no idea where you're coming from..... (shrug)

Thanks. :) But Arexcrooke is probably about 80% right (I do post information if someone's asking a question and I can help out...).

I'm biased and I know it.

When I first discovered comic book messageboards I was thrilled whenever someone posted a heads-up that helped me protect myself in the marketplace. 'Hype' was readily available for staying in touch with 'the fun'. Comics being 'fun' was a no-brainer (or I wouldn't be a fan), but I had no idea the level of sophisticated alteration techniques available. Information like that was so refreshing and educational to me. It kept me coming back.

And I know it gets old, and I think there's probably enough info on the web now where a new collector could educate/protect themselves somewhat, if they chose to. (It's scatted all over the place, but out there if you look)

On the other hand I still think (a) someone using Ewertesque-style techniques today would just have a field day, and (b) the level of alterations-sophistication has risen to match the dollars involved.

So a little balance shouldn't hurt... :foryou: