• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, which do you buy, PS3 or Xbox 360?

94 posts in this topic

If you can still find one, I highly suggest the 60G model if backwards compatibility is important to you.

Agreed, but I haven't seen one of those in months, and that was in a RCSS in Feb (Walmart,, TRU, etc. have long been sold out), so the 80GB is probably the best bet.

Instead, the handicapping of the PS3 was part of an effort to "encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system."

This is not necessarily such a bad thing, depending on where you're sitting. I want to see the PS3 succeed. Because of the larger 360 install base, the PS3 doesn't have the third party support that the PS2 had, and as we know from way back in the NES days, good third party support is essential to the long term success of a console. In 2001, the PS2 was in a very similar position that the PS3 is in now; it was expensive and didn't have a lot of options in terms of software. The original XBOX had better specs but it ultimately lost the war because the PS2 eventually acquired the install base and third party support that gave it its massive library of titles.

Instead, the handicapping of the PS3 was part of an effort to "encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system."

This is not necessarily such a bad thing, depending on where you're sitting. I want to see the PS3 succeed. Because of the larger 360 install base, the PS3 doesn't have the third party support that the PS2 had, and as we know from way back in the NES days, good third party support is essential to the long term success of a console. In 2001, the PS2 was in a very similar position that the PS3 is in now; it was expensive and didn't have a lot of options in terms of software. The original XBOX had better specs but it ultimately lost the war because the PS2 eventually acquired the install base and third party support that gave it its massive library of titles.

i think all 3 systems will succeed. microsoft is turning a profit on their gaming division. nintendo is making a killing. Sony i think is profitable on this system now after a rough start. i think the marketplace can support 3 systems easily.

If you can still find one, I highly suggest the 60G model if backwards compatibility is important to you.

Agreed, but I haven't seen one of those in months, and that was in a RCSS in Feb (Walmart,, TRU, etc. have long been sold out), so the 80GB is probably the best bet.

That's a shame. I got my 60G in Jan of 07', so I haven't really been paying attention.

The 60G also has the distinction of being the most costly model to Sony, which means there's a good chance that they may also be the most well-built of all the models.

But they don't have the developer support because the PS3 isn't selling squat compared to other systems. The old Gameboy Advance outsold it in 2007, as did the PS2. lol

I want the PS3 to do well too, but how is gimping out a 40GB PS2.5 going to solve that, especially as Sony readily admitted it didn't save them any money. I guarantee a PS3 40GB at $399 with PS2/PS1 BC would have sold better. (shrug)

The real problem is that a LOT of people are buying the PS3 only to play Blu-ray movies, as it's by far the least expensive Profile 2.0 player. So Sony sees XXXX PS3's sold, yet PS3 game sales are DOA, so some maroon decides it's because of the PS2 BC and deletes it. lol

Man, Sony has some real geniuses working for them.

Actually the 60 GB PS3 is the best one to get for maximum backwards compatibility.

The 80 GB version only has a PS2 software emulator working for it whereas the 60 GB has the actual PS2 chip called the "Emotion Engine".

What this means is some PS2 and a very good number of PS1 games will not work on the 80 GB version.

If this is not a big deal to you(some people really don't want to play old games on the PS3) then buy the 80 GB version.

Sony stopped making the 60 GB PS3 back in August of '07 but you can still find one if you look hard enough.

I have well over 300 PS1 games so I tracked down a 60 GB at Sams Club a while back. They are still around, if you need help finding one drop me a PM.

My suggestion is the 60 GB version to hardcore PS gamers. Get one while you still can.

Actually the 60 GB PS3 is the best one to get for maximum backwards compatibility.

doh!doh!doh!

Yeah, and please loan us your time machine to get a brand new one retail.

I looked, called or inquired virtually every retail outlet in Ontario this February and there were NONE. And no EBay or used pleased.

If you have links, please post them, as I have some Ameri-friends who can bring it up here.

doh!doh!doh!

I can help you find one if you really want one. They are getting hard to find but not impossible....yet.

The real problem is that a LOT of people are buying the PS3 only to play Blu-ray movies, as it's by far the least expensive Profile 2.0 player. So Sony sees XXXX PS3's sold, yet PS3 game sales are DOA, so some maroon decides it's because of the PS2 BC and deletes it. lol

I've been wondering lately what will happen with the PS3 now the format war is over and cheaper (and probably better) new generations of Blu-Ray are on the horizon...

I can help you find one if you really want one. They are getting hard to find but not impossible....yet.

I was referring to your assertion that we all somehow didn't know the 60GB has hardware compatibility. lollollol

But if you have valid retail links to reputable stores, then post 'em, as I am still looking.

I've been wondering lately what will happen with the PS3 now the format war is over and cheaper (and probably better) new generations of Blu-Ray are on the horizon...

Blu-ray player prices are increasing, and those are for outdated POS Profile 1.0 versions, while the Profile 1.1 and 2.0 players will likely be priced higher than the PS3 for a year or two.

Essentially, Sony totally screwed their game division to win the format war.

Blu-ray player prices are increasing, and those are for outdated POS Profile 1.0 versions, while the Profile 1.1 and 2.0 players will likely be priced higher than the PS3 for a year or two.

Really ? Prices on BR players are going up ?

I was expecting some cheap Asian clone V2.0 compatible with easy-to-update-firmware and even network support to show up soon (shrug)

Really ? Prices on BR players are going up ?

Yep, it was all a scam to eliminate HD-DVD. Sony also instituted region-coding for all new releases + enhanced copy protection after the announcement.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 08:57

Blu-ray Disc players from Samsung, Sony and Sharp are now the most expensive they have been all year, presumably because HD DVD's exit from the high-def disc arena has removed some of Blu-ray's pricing pressure.

Xbox all day long.

The games are not identical between the 360 and the PS3 - and the online service is vastly inferior on the PS3. Yes its free, and you can tell.

i think all 3 systems will succeed. microsoft is turning a profit on their gaming division. nintendo is making a killing. Sony i think is profitable on this system now after a rough start. i think the marketplace can support 3 systems easily.

I agree that the marketplace can support 3 systems, but I support Sony first because I feel that consumers are not getting what they pay for with the other two, specifically with the Wii.

The Wii is going to burn out. It's trading in technology for gimmicky controls and It's really nothing more than a slightly improved GameCube. The controls do not deliver what they promise and the highest quality games on the Wii would be just as good or maybe even better without the motion sensors(Mario Galaxy, SSBB, No More Heroes). In fact, most people playing Super Smash Brothers(current best seller on the Wii) are plugging in their old Game Cube controllers to play it and that shows how unnecessary the "Wiimote" is. Then you have a game like Zelda: Twilight Princess which was released on both the Game Cube and the Wii at the same time, yet it plays BETTER on the Game Cube. Resident Evil 5, which was recently ported over to the Wii, also plays better on the Game Cube and PS2, and it looks virtually identical to those versions as well.

The Wii will be remembered as the most successful console gaming gimmick of all time. I understand the appeal of something like "Wii Sports", but very few games are going to run that well. The online aspects of the Wii are not great, and the hardware is weak by today's standards since you're basically getting a rehashed Game Cube.

rantrant

Xbox all day long.

The games are not identical between the 360 and the PS3 - and the online service is vastly inferior on the PS3. Yes its free, and you can tell.

That may be true, but the fact that you're lucky to get 100 hours out of your 360 before it "bricks" kind of outweighs everything else. lol

doh!doh!doh!

I'm interested in one. :foryou: