• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is this not a PLOD?

30 posts in this topic

Plus I've heard (and I might be totally off on this one) that GA books are given a little more leeway with minor glue and color touching?

I think the policy of blue labels for books with minor color touch/glue only applies to GA books, regardless, CGC has been certifying books like this since day 1.

And since day 1 I've railed strongly against this asinine policy. A book is restored or it ain't. If it is, Purple. If not, Blue. It should be no more complicated than that. Why confuse the consumer?

Oh, I agree with you, I was just clarifying to MacMan that the Blue Label/restored policy only applies to GA books. :gossip:

That said, what would really be helpful is a numerical restoration scale to quantify the extent and type of restoration. Not all PLODs are created equal, but a PLOD is a PLOD is a PLOD to many. Now, I believe Matt Nelson has proposed something to address this...should we invite him to come on here and share it with the forum? :shy:

When collectors buy raw books, are restored comics sold in different color mylars? No, they typically have a label denoting the work affixed to the sleeve.

If you're lucky they do... doh!

When collectors buy raw books, are restored comics sold in different color mylars? No, they typically have a label denoting the work affixed to the sleeve.

If you're lucky they do... doh!

Unfortunately, true.

Plus I've heard (and I might be totally off on this one) that GA books are given a little more leeway with minor glue and color touching?

I think the policy of blue labels for books with minor color touch/glue only applies to GA books, regardless, CGC has been certifying books like this since day 1.

And since day 1 I've railed strongly against this asinine policy. A book is restored or it ain't. If it is, Purple. If not, Blue. It should be no more complicated than that. Why confuse the consumer?

:gossip: Part of the price to pay for getting the "big boys" to buy in to the CGC mission at its inception. Too many color touched Mile Highs to have them all in purple labels.

^^

I would like to see a list of how many Church (and other pedigree copies) have glue/minor CT issues. My guess it is way more than I expect, unfortunately, as it sounds like a lot of the books passed through the hands of known restorers at one time or another.

Long term, it will be interesting to see how the value on touched up peds holds up when the color touch starts to fade/change or if the glue starts to discolor the books at all. :baiting:

I have a thread in GA that discusses this. From what I have been able to see (and this is just my opinion though researched a bit) it is always a very small amount of ct or glue and it is always on a book where it would not affect the grade.

Going by what some of the others say it is also apparently limited to GA books.

R.

I have a thread in GA that discusses this. From what I have been able to see (and this is just my opinion though researched a bit) it is always a very small amount of ct or glue and it is always on a book where it would not affect the grade.

Going by what some of the others say it is also apparently limited to GA books.

R.

Lucky Ducks...

So who has a good memory? When the purple label was first discussed, was it perceived from day one as pejorative or did the PLOD take some time to take form?

The purple label has had a bad rap from the git-go.

So who has a good memory? When the purple label was first discussed, was it perceived from day one as pejorative or did the PLOD take some time to take form?

The purple label has had a bad rap from the git-go.

It was totally created to be a pejorative. As I had it explained to me in the cro-magnon CGC days by one of the CGC elders, the purple label was designed so people "can tell from a distance which books to stay away from."

If the glue is holding the spine together, then I'm thinking it's resto. but what is a little bit of glue on the cover? what is that supposed to accomplish? how is it different than any other shmutz? if it's shmutz, it detracts from the grade accordingly.

but then again, scotch tape to hold the spine together isn't considered resto, is it? it's just considered a monster defect.

i'm torn on this, let's say you have a red cover and some idjit puts a little red magic marker on the spine to cover up a stress. many here say that should be a PLOD and maybe it should be, but if I take a black magic marker and cover up the red and it's no longer trying to cover up a stress, it's now a black mark on the cover. Voila, no longer restoration, just a defect and it might not even knock it down much or at all depending on the grade.

added pieces, sealed tears are a little less ambiguous.