• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 99 cover

49 posts in this topic

Never underestimate the "freshness" factor.

Thanks for bringing that up. While I have no doubt that there are collectors who will pay a premium for the "freshness factor", I've never understood it. Given a choice between two pieces of equal quality, I personally would not pay more for a piece just because it's "fresh". A good piece is a good piece, I don't care if it's been in someone's CAF gallery forever.

The only upside to the "freshness factor" is showing off something "new", bragging rights as it were. But in a few years, will anyone care? Paying extra for that privilege is wasted money, imho.

As always, just my 2c

I think what drives this mentality of the infamous "freshness factor" is the same insanity that is behind those that stand out in front of an electronics store, for days(Best Buy, Apple, etc...) to be the first ones with the newest device. Or the people that sleep out in front of movie theaters to be the first ones into the latest Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or whatever.....Just to be first !

Of course, we are talking apples and oranges, but it's all about bragging rights and ego...Like Felix already noted.

Never underestimate the "freshness" factor.

Thanks for bringing that up. While I have no doubt that there are collectors who will pay a premium for the "freshness factor", I've never understood it. Given a choice between two pieces of equal quality, I personally would not pay more for a piece just because it's "fresh". A good piece is a good piece, I don't care if it's been in someone's CAF gallery forever.

The only upside to the "freshness factor" is showing off something "new", bragging rights as it were. But in a few years, will anyone care? Paying extra for that privilege is wasted money, imho.

As always, just my 2c

Couldn't agree with you more.

I remember not so long ago when I was putting a deal together to buy a grail-like cover . . . in order to raise cash I looked towards selling a piece that I'd been given a "If you ever decide to sell, let me know" type of offer.

I did that, but I also extended the offer to others (my priority was to expedite my other deal). My asking price was close to my original purchase price, so I wasn't out to gouge anyone.

When the other guy found out I was offering the art he was interested in to a wider audience, that somehow turned-him-off.

He then said he might still be interested in buying the art from me . . . but I'd have to reduce my price by a couple of thousand dollars.

I didn't really understand the mentality behind that one, and I certainly wasn't about to make a loss on the re-sale value.

I ended-up keeping the art and selling-off something else.

Let me clarify: I've unearthed a few buried treasures, so I do understand the thrill. I just wouldn't pay more for something simply because it had been "buried". But I've seen collectors value higher a "B" example that's "fresh" versus an "A" example that's been displayed. That's something I'll never get.

Simply put, "freshness factor" is a market inefficiency exploited by sellers. Just another example of how little logic there is in this hobby.

Felix

When an X-men cover goes for 56K, I think logic got thrown out the window. The main reason I mentioned the "freshness factor" was to compare the cover which was "fresher" to the market than the X-men 100 splash which is coming up on the comiclink auction and had been shopped to many collectors.

Considering that a Peanuts daily went for over 40K and that the Xmen 99 interior pages went for 9K and 11K, I think the market has gone to the next level. Unfortunately it may leave many collectors behind.

I think that peanuts daily went for over 50k! And, yes, the cockrum pages, blew me away!

But, I had a hunch the cover would go high. I'm not sure freshness had alot to do with it, just that you never see them for sale. Previous to this, the only 1st run Cockrum xmen cover I have ever seen for sale, I bought. I paid a lot at the time, every penny the seller wanted, as I just wasn't going to let it go. To alot of collectors (not me) it's all about Spidey and Xmen and despite the hoohahs I might get for saying this, to some collectors Byrne xmen is to Romita spidey, as Cockrum xmen is to Ditko spidey. You got the originators followed by the polishers.

To me, it just focuses the lens on how hard it is to buy anything anymore. Gone are the days when you could just buy a good piece you liked for a couple of g's. Now, you have to seriously think about what you want and either do some liquidating or call your banker and financial advisor. I mean it's all very well and good to give the advice 'buy what you like and you won't go wrong' but what if you like Kirby/Sinnott FF, or Wood Ec covers, or god forbid, Cockrum xmen!!!

I have little doubt this is only the beginning of the 'bullrun' in the art market with the weak dollar, the onslaught of investors into the hobby, and the continued scarcity of good material even as prices surge; but I'm just saying it's getting hard to keep tapping the wallet. DF

Yep, I agree with all that's been said. It feels like there's a bit of a "changing of the guard" going on.

Anything remotely desirable made available on a public scale has become much more expensive than even us "newbies" remember.