• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Invasion Sketch Covers Megathread

1,531 posts in this topic

Thanks guys. I'm a little embarrassed that I don't know the guy's name who did the Spidey that's on the cover with Cap. My girlfriend commissioned 5 books from local artists at WWTX as a Christmas present and I never figured out his name.

I really like 'em though. That Hellboy one is one of my favorites, too. It's the first convention cover I actually commissioned myself. The artist will be at another show in May and I'm going to try to get a Spider-man with a Hellboy T-shirt. He was also the first in my sketchbook. I like his art and he's a pretty funny dude.

Spider-manbyJamesRiotGodfrey.jpg

Just got the pictures back. Herb was such a nice guy and his wife was great! I thought this sketch turned out very well and it's off for a gold label right now. There's also a picture of me with Herb. If any boardies see me wandering around NYCC, feel free to say Hi.

100_3182.jpg

100_3183.jpg

Wow Adam! You're much younger looking than I thought. :)

Herb is a very cool guy, and I have a personalized Wolverine sketch hanging in my classroom as I type this. I also got to meet him at B-More and he was great to meet and talk with (everyone else was in line for Lee and Bendis). Congrats on the pickup--no one does OLD school Wolverine like Herb!

Wow Adam! You're much younger looking than I thought. :)

Only in the comparison shot. I'm 67 years old!

SpideyFan: Who did that sketch for you? I can't make out the sig. Local artist or someone we'd know? In any case, the book looks pretty beat up and it sounds like a bum wrap about the coloring. Since you're not happy with it, I hope you didn't pay too much for it. It's not bad, but a disappointing commission can leave a bad taste in your mouth!

-Adam

The sketch was done by Lance Sawyer he does a lot of sketch cards and the like, it didnt cost me that much, but it was a little bit of a suprise when i opened it up in the mail, and the taste in my mouth isnt too bad, its my first bad experience but there will be plenty of good ones in the future!

Arjuna

although i must note with all my complaints its still a pretty cool looking sketch definately i different style from anything ive ever gotten

Ha! After cruising through the thread, I just realized that you were the one who outbid me on the Ramon Hernandez Green Goblin. I put a bid on it about 3 days before the auction ended and I got sniped!

Tricky little devil, you! Oh well, at least it went to a good home!

-Adam

No need to feel bad about it. I'm sure everyone here has sniped someone before, so it's only fair that we get sniped once in a while, too. You bought it fair and square. (thumbs u

Let's keep this thread going along: Here's a Texeira piece I picked up from Hotflips a little while back:

GhostRider-MarkTexeira.jpg

hey guys! I used to pickup a few sketches at cons and it would leave a bad taste in my mouth and it would bug me for days/weeks after the event. My new thing is that if ALL these artists wanna charge $50 or more for a comission now well then I am not paying unless I am a satisfied customer.

I am serious. Do not hesitate to question the time or integrity of a sketch. Remember YOU are comissioning them.........putting money in their pocket. Sometimes I have said can you put a little more time into that sketch, or I have pointed to areas of the sketch that look unfinished. I got burnt too many times and do not care about their "fame" I am after good artwork and I will pay for it, thus if I dont get it well then that artist aint gettin their money! and NEVER pay FIRST.

hey guys! I used to pickup a few sketches at cons and it would leave a bad taste in my mouth and it would bug me for days/weeks after the event. My new thing is that if ALL these artists wanna charge $50 or more for a comission now well then I am not paying unless I am a satisfied customer.

I am serious. Do not hesitate to question the time or integrity of a sketch. Remember YOU are comissioning them.........putting money in their pocket. Sometimes I have said can you put a little more time into that sketch, or I have pointed to areas of the sketch that look unfinished. I got burnt too many times and do not care about their "fame" I am after good artwork and I will pay for it, thus if I dont get it well then that artist aint gettin their money! and NEVER pay FIRST.

I'll keep this in mind when I'm doing yours (thumbs u

...and everybody elses.

I'm a bit hesitant to direct/criticize the artist because everytime i've tried to give alot of direction the art ends up a bit botched but when i say draw anything you want spidey related it ends up good, but when you said that sometimes you say part of a sketch looks unfinished, how does the artist react?