• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics you read as a kid or teen that make you go ouch!

34 posts in this topic

Yeah, MOKF still stands up as far as I'm concerned. I bought the first issue of that revival of the title a few years back and had high hopes, but it was pretentious and bad. They used the 'f' word on the first page and I thought, 'Well, this is stupid.' And that's coming from somebody who uses the f-word thousands of times a day as every part of a sentence.

As a kid I loved buying Marvel Tales as it came out and reading those classic old Spider-Man stories. I wanted to be Peter Parker and live his life. But the stories themselves kept me enthralled too.

And you know what - I'm able to afford the original issues these days, and they still hold up beautifully. When Stan hit his stride in the mid-60's, he was the best damn comics writer around! And teamed up with a master artist like Kirby or Buscema or Romita Sr., it was fantastic.

with reading MOKF, I read issues 15 to issues 50 in 1 months time, so that probally had a impact. I have been out of comics basically since 1994. I am trying to find some good reads, same thing happened when I reread the old Tales of Suspense in Ironman essentials, that to be kind was dull. When I went and rewatched Star Wars the original trilogy movies from my youth, it still was fascinating and gave me a thrill.

hopefully in the coming months as I get back more into comics, I can recommend some good rereads.

the ASM story when he saves the daughter of the blackmailed football player)

Amazing Spider-Man 153. I remember reading that at the time and being completely unaware of the high level of schmaltz involved...very silly. Still worth a read for memory's sake, though. ASM hit a downturn after issue 150...

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've read some of the VERY early Marvel hero stories recently and just thought they were sub-par. Like Mr.Comicbook mentioned, the first few appearances of Iron Man, as well as the FF, Daredevil, and others. The writing just seemed like it was tossed out too quickly, like Stan didn't care about the quality so much in the beginning (Spidey being an exception, I think).

To my taste, it was only a few years later that Marvel books started getting good. But the very early appearances? Not so much.

I just went back a re-read The Adventures of Olbadiah Oldbuck. It seemed so fresh and new back in the day. But now it just seems dated. A big disappointment, really. :(

When I was a kid, I loved the Claremont X-men, I just tried to reread the essential X-MEN run and had to put it down, same thing with Moench`s Master of Kung Fu.

Really ? I read the entire series of MOKF a few years ago and found it one of the best 70's series I had ever read (shrug)

Amen to that statement. MOKF was and still is awesome to read. Love that series.

When will the MOKF really take off $$$ wise. I loved that series and bought most of the books.

It's probably not going anywhere pricewise for the foreseeable future...those books are easily obtainable mid-period Bronze, even in 9.2/9.4.

They are great reads, though. Marvel was very good back then at taking genre formats and reinventing them, like Tomb Of Dracula.

I actually don't read any of the books that I really liked during the 70s (when I was a kid just getting into comics). I learned this from accidentally seeing an episode of "Land of the Lost" on TV when I was in my early 20s (after I loved the show as a 10-year old). Seeing the show through an adult's eyes just ruined it for me (how brutally cheesy and hokey it was), and I thought that I would avoid having that happen to my cherished comic book memories, too. I do, however, like to read golden age books and early silver age stuff, as those books pre-dated me and even as a kid I found them corny. Thus, it is easier for me to suspend my disbelief with those stories (which I never took too seriously, anyway, and I can relive my excitiement in acquiring them for my collection), than some of the books I grew up on in the 70s and early 80s, like Cerebus, MOKF, Avengers, Savage Sword, Conan, etc. (where I was engorssed in the stories and related to the characters).

I did take a risk when I re-read Michael Moorcock's "Behold the Man" a couple of summers ago. I read that book when I was about 13 and thought it was the greatest book I ever read. While it didn't send me in the same way when I re-read it, I still felt that the concept was great (and risky, too). Thanks for letting me psychoanalyze myself..

Dan

I just went back a re-read The Adventures of Olbadiah Oldbuck. It seemed so fresh and new back in the day. But now it just seems dated. A big disappointment, really. :(

:roflmao: Isn't it time for the nurse to turn you over and change your bedsheets?

I remember being pretty much enthralled with the New Teen Titans and Legion of SH in the early- to mid-80s, when I was about 12. Might have had something to do with the way Perez drew Starfire and Wonder Girl, though . . . :cloud9:

Starfire :cloud9: Alien boobs :cloud9:

From today's Titans #1

04-09-2008043020PM.jpg

I remember being pretty much enthralled with the New Teen Titans and Legion of SH in the early- to mid-80s, when I was about 12. Might have had something to do with the way Perez drew Starfire and Wonder Girl, though . . . :cloud9:

Starfire :cloud9: Alien boobs :cloud9:

From today's Titans #1

04-09-2008043020PM.jpg

oh wonder why the modern generation doesn`t buy comic books anymore and some poor sob actually had to pay $2.99 cover? lol.