• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Books Have Increased The Most After Relative Obscurity...

69 posts in this topic

$30 in 1986 was real money though, in terms of what you could get in terms of SA and some GA and early BA.

That's exactly it. People look at an early-80's Guide and see GL/GA at $20 and think "wow, was that book undervalued", when in reality, that's was very expensive for a 1970's comic.

It's all relative, and in the early-80's that book was just over 10 years old. It would be like us looking back at WildCats #1 right now.

Chartons are even more obscure, but I won't go there.

You should because it's a fact. There are some Bronze Horror Charltons that I've never seen a HG copy of. And I doubt they are being hoarded by collectors. The generally bad production methods used on the comics make HGs tough. They tan much faster than those you'll find from the Big Two and there's something about the cover stock that just invites creasing. It's a good genre to collect if you're old school like me and enjoy the search as much as the comics themselves...

Jim

How about a high grade Spidey Super Stories. Either #1 or the X-men appearance. Those were always throw aways until the last 7 years or so.

Richie Rich and Archie as a whole broke out about 5-7 years ago. Archie 50 (headlight cover) is still not broken out :screwy:

And the 1970's Richie Rich #1's routinely sell for $250+ in CGC 9.4 or better. So while everyone was racing to buy another short box of Howard the Duck #1, these Richie Rich's sat.

I'll admit that the books were easier to find once the prices brought out the sellers, but it's a far cry from a cake walk either. Also, if anyone has noticed, fewer are now being offered for sale. Esoteric collectors hold on to these books it seems- or they are waiting for the next gravy train high to come along to cash in.

Actually Sterling your right, the books offered these days, are predominantly new slabs. All the material bought by collectors in the last 3 years, doesn't seem to be recurculating that much. People are hanging onto them.

Though some of the best BA horror in terms of grade has come out later rather then earlier. So the prices, while reasonably strong, seem to of peaked.

But I'm only speaking of one area. Marvel outside of the keys for the same part of the early BA is a bit of a waste land. Far too many 'new format's' that didn't make the grade. And Marvel Horror... lol

I need to get this one SS from CGC

(no joke the sticker on the top actually says "1st Edition, signed by actor SPIDERMAN" and is stuck on the comic)

scan0011.jpg