• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quick Dallas Comic Con report

9 posts in this topic

Great report Kenny. For those interested see the Original Art forum for the stuff I picked up from this con. I'd also like to send a special thank you to Brian and Lon for helping me out so much this weekend if it hadn't of been for you two I would have had a complete break-down on Saturday as I was completely beat and dead tired.

Oh, and Kenny, though I gave you a hard time about showing off on GH you really are the man when it comes to that! Glad to see you picked up the DD 1

If I came off as rude at any time it was only do to lack of sleep and too many things going on at once unless your name is "Kris Moore" then it was done on purpose. :baiting:

Oh, and Kenny, though I gave you a hard time about showing off on GH you really are the man when it comes to that!

So I guess I shouldn't bring up that I was playing much worse than usual due to both of their guitars being broken? (shrug)

I don't know Don, I think this con was a little less crowded than past ones at the Richardson Center. I didn't have too much trouble getting down the aisles. I didn't see too many dealers with HG vintage books. I saw mostly quarterbox books. (shrug)

I don't know Don, I think this con was a little less crowded than past ones at the Richardson Center. I didn't have too much trouble getting down the aisles. I didn't see too many dealers with HG vintage books. I saw mostly quarterbox books. (shrug)

Since I wasn't at the show on Saturday I can't say one way or the other about the crowd. However, I heard that attendance, while decent, was not as high as the promoter expected. Just imagine how much lower it could have been had Don not gotten EBAS and Benitez to show up. On the other side, both dealers and guests were very happy with the show. Money was flowing... something that can be attested to by the fact that the ATM ran out of cash within the first 30 minutes of the show on Sunday.

Sunday the crowd was pretty good considering the show is only open 4 hours (12-4). There was a steady stream of people in the dealers room and sales at my booth were ok.

Regarding HG books... you're just not going to see that much until some higher end dealers start showing up. And that's not going to happen until the promoter starts taking the comic aspect of this show seriously. Back in January, when Don asked Richard (Mr Bedrock) to set up, you should have seen some of the positive reactions. People were genuinely surprised and pleased to see high-end books in Dallas.

Sometime soon it's going to have to come down to this...

--Major dealers are going to have to set up. To get this, people are going to have to come in willing to spend money on the high-end books. This is not going to happen unless the buyers know that the dealers are going to be there. To attract the dealers attendance will have to increase. That's not going to happen unless the promoter starts treating his guest list better and stops bringing in low-rent guests.

The way it stands right now it's a catch-22. Unless someone steps up and puts some effort into putting together a really good show it's going to remain the same old same old.

I talked to Joe again yesterday evening and he had definitely enjoyed coming and said that he'd love to come back again.

I think most of the comic guests had a good time.

Another thing to consider is that Bob McLeod was selling his childrens book and said that he always brings a lot of them to even the big cons like Wizard, etc. and that this was the FIRST time he had ever sold out of them. (In fact if he would have had another one I would have bought it because my wife wanted it for my son)

Tom Morgan who hadn't done a show in years had a great time also and I definitely look forward to seeing him again.

Money was definitely being spent and I saw a lot of people with heavy want lists going through a lot of boxes. I just wish I would have had more time to actually buy some books as there were some that I had never seen in person before (mostly golden age)