• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Place you're bets! Who is Skrull - Secret Invasion spoilers galore!

62 posts in this topic

I wondered that myself. I think it is a shame that Starlin Graphic may be destroyed, but could we honestly NOT use a good captain marvel book ? I say just hand it over to Brubaker. But with the cancer thing, my guess would be not ALL the skrulls turn when they die. I think this whole magic "card" is gonna be pulled, and used fast. This is a major wait and see storyline, I have been re-reading much of the stories that play part and the door really was left wide open for Bendis. Some people will cry blasphemy, while others will embrace a good story and possible fresh start on many characters.

But I would love to see a modern Captain Marvel.

I doubt they would really screw around with the real Captain Marvel's death. They need a Captain Marvel in the Marvel universe (for licensing/trademark purposes), but they don't want to destroy Starlin's work... at least that's my understanding. Hence, all this pulling him out of time stuff.

If they pulled the Skrull/Captain Marvell out of time, that doesn't invalidate the real Captain Marvel dying of cancer on Titan.

http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_07/Marvel/CapMarvel.html

NRAMA: The Death of Captain Marvel by Jim Starlin remains one of the fondest stories told about the character first introduced by Stan Lee and Gene Colan in Marvel Super-Heroes #12 in 1967. You're… what… 9 years old when it was first published? Did you have any recollection of the story when it first came out? If not, when was the first time you'd read it?

BR: I admit I never read The Death of Captain Marvel until a year back. I missed out on it as a kid because I was so laser focused on buying Spider-Man titles to the exclusion of anything else. I ended up reading The Life and Death of Captain Marvel trade just because I was reading the Kree/Skrull War stuff for Illuminati research and realized I'd never read much about Mar-Vell.

I loved it immediately, and having just lost a close friend to cancer a few years back, I think maybe the end of the story hit me a bit harder than it ever would have had I read it before then.

NRAMA: Comic book characters are not new to death and resurrection, with the recent cases being Bucky Barnes (now Winter Soldier) and Jason Todd (formerly Robin)… Heck, even Superman came back from the dead, and the X-Men's Jean Grey is not unfamiliar to the whole death/resurrection concept. Having said that, what do you think of his… Captain Marvel's "resurrection"… his return to the Marvel Universe pre-cancer days?

BR: Ahhh, there's the thing that I think makes Captain Marvel interesting in today's Marvel Universe -- this isn't a resurrection. He is most certainly not "back from the dead". What we're seeing is Captain Marvel propelled into the future and witnessing what the world will become after he is gone.

Captain Marvel still dies of cancer, lying there in his bed on Titan, with all the other heroes gathered around him. And he stays good and dead after that.

I hadnt read that, but would they really let this slip through yet ? Marvels been good at keeping things quiet.

That Gyrich guy who made the Avengers miserable in the late 70s has GOT to be a Skrull. I think he's still around, isn't he?

Norman Osborn is a Skrull whose imprinting didn't work well so he's always been psychotic.

I hate Gyrich. Crappy character