• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We talked about the X-men 99 cover, now how about this?

55 posts in this topic

Even in Euros that is a lot of money, though you could have two of them for the price of the Kirby recreation on the site

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4681&Details=1&From=Room

That's insane. $80,000 for a re-creation???

Someone needs a reality check . . .

i agree. the asking prices for almost all of that update seem ambitious.

I agree. I'd rather have a real x-men 1 page for 1/4 of the price. I guess he must be thinking that with all the af15 art being donated this recreation will be as good as it gets for someone wanting a page from that issue.

That's the feeling I got as well, I didn't much care for the sales pitch when he kinda rams home the fact that the AF 15 pages will never, ever be in the hands of the collector now and people feeling left out should consider this recreation as not only the next best thing but also the only alternative (shrug)

Well, the original AF 15 cover as well as the alternative cover are both presumed to exist. Maybe you could invest the $80,000 now in some investment vehicle and cash out when and if those two cover ever surface. :wishluck:

Even in Euros that is a lot of money, though you could have two of them for the price of the Kirby recreation on the site

I was looking at the Steranko promo painting . . . it looks more like a prelim/rough than a finished piece of art.

I was looking at the Steranko promo painting . . . it looks more like a prelim/rough than a finished piece of art.

I remember the image from my childhood, but it certainly was more finished than that piece is or my memory is really fuzzy. Still, not a bad price for a Steranko nowadays.

I guess what bothers me the most, being a mid to low end collector, is that I have a desire for a Kirby recreation and just a short time ago some of those covers were selling for 9k to 12k, a stretch but within my reach, but now we shall wait and see if they surface at 20 to 30k with the pitch line, that it is less than half of what the AF 15 cover recreation is going for.

I agree. I'd rather have a real x-men 1 page for 1/4 of the price. I guess he must be thinking that with all the af15 art being donated this recreation will be as good as it gets for someone wanting a page from that issue.

That's the feeling I got as well, I didn't much care for the sales pitch when he kinda rams home the fact that the AF 15 pages will never, ever be in the hands of the collector now and people feeling left out should consider this recreation as not only the next best thing but also the only alternative (shrug)

oh so he specifically mentioned that huh? Interesting. I skipped over the sales pitch because I don't have a "spare" 80k in the bank.

wow you aren't kidding. That's gotta be a rough.

wow you aren't kidding. That's gotta be a rough.

Full disclosure wouldn't go amiss . . . I just feel sorry for the guy who shells out (what sounds like a good price) for the art, only to find it may not be the finished painting.

I guess what bothers me the most, being a mid to low end collector, is that I have a desire for a Kirby recreation and just a short time ago some of those covers were selling for 9k to 12k, a stretch but within my reach, but now we shall wait and see if they surface at 20 to 30k with the pitch line, that it is less than half of what the AF 15 cover recreation is going for.

To put this into perspective another way, I wonder what a pencil-only drawing by an old master would go for. Probably not much more than 80k! (not that I know that market.... but nearly-six-figure pencil only pieces have to be a pretty damn rare animal). Or, to put it another way, that price is stupid lol

or almost enough for a raphael in 2004, apparently:

" a newly discovered red chalk drawing by Raphael (1483-1520), of about 1505, will go under the hammer on 8 July 2004 at the same auction house. It will be very interesting to see whether it exceeds its estimate of 50-70,000 [pounds sterling]."

Kirby being priced at raphael levels??? thassa spicy meatball

sad part is I wouldn't be altogether surprised if this strategy worked. Some spidey fan will probably eventually pay out the to touch himself to this 'next best thing' to AF15 art.

With not-so-great kirby ff pages reaching 10k+ I guess a recreation of a seven figure piece for 80k (or even a best offer well below that) can be rationalized somehow, someway in somebody's mind. I'm just glad I'm not writing the check.

The piece has sold at least twice with the later being for $15K. Not sure how many more hands it has been through before the current seller. Kirby also did a pencil recreation of issue #1 and several other keys.

Also, never assume that institutions keeping everything. Every so often items are sold to raise needed funds. Not sure how the Library of Congress operates but things can change over time.

For Marvel fans, the original art to other key issues does exist and has not been donated to the Library of Congress.

What other things can you buy for $80K?

- Carl Barks painting

- Robert Williams painting

- College education

- Nice down payment on a house

- Transportation and cost to attend San Diego Comic Con for the rest of your life

- A really, really, really nice commission from any living comic related artist and still have a fist full of dough left over

- Something in my CAF and still have some change (see

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2089

)

Edwin

The piece has sold at least twice with the later being for $15K. Not sure how many more hands it has been through before the current seller. Kirby also did a pencil recreation of issue #1 and several other keys.

Also, never assume that institutions keeping everything. Every so often items are sold to raise needed funds. Not sure how the Library of Congress operates but things can change over time.

For Marvel fans, the original art to other key issues does exist and has not been donated to the Library of Congress.

What other things can you buy for $80K?

- Carl Barks painting

- Robert Williams painting

- College education

- Nice down payment on a house

- Transportation and cost to attend San Diego Comic Con for the rest of your life

- A really, really, really nice commission from any living comic related artist and still have a fist full of dough left over

- Something in my CAF and still have some change (see

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2089

)

Edwin

I would agree with the exception of the Carl Barks painting (the ones I like) and a college education.

C