• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever bought anything worth slabbing after ebay seller told you to "CGC it" ?

26 posts in this topic

As a new member, who is primarily looking to sell off his collection, I don't want to ask a stupid question, so I hope you'll be patient but -

Isn't cost the reason a seller wouldn't get something slabbed right before selling? I have a lot of comics I bought new between 1989 and 1992, read once carefully, then stored in bags and boards. Now, I need to sell them and some have value ($20+), but if I get them slabbed right now (after waiting through the process), will I recover the cost? CGC charges, what, $16 for grading, plus shipping?

I can see how my Uncanny X-Men 266 would be worth slabbing because a 9.4 goes from $52 to $104 on ComicsPriceGuide.com and mine might grade higher. But, many of the others don't seem to be justified (265 goes from $8 to $16 for a 9.4) and, let's face it, you don't always get full book when you sell (or do you get full book when they're graded?).

So, wouldn't it be worthwhile for a real collector to take a good hard look when books are offered as mint or near-mint? There might be some real diamonds in the rough.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers; just seeking enlightenment.

So, wouldn't it be worthwhile for a real collector to take a good hard look when books are offered as mint or near-mint? There might be some real diamonds in the rough.

Sure!

Those nice large eBay scans make it easy to pick out the gem mints.

meh

I think its bugs me more when ebay sellers use information that is incorrect to sell there books. In wizard 198 on page 115 in the top 5 premium comics listing they showed number 2 as being Hulk #1 and put in the regular shelf cover picture by mistake instead of the variant. Now there is a bunch of ebayers who even add a picture of the error in the magazine to there sale ad trying to sell the books for stupid prices when you can still get them on the shelf at regular price.

I pretty much consider this to be misleading and dishonest just to make a buck. Any ebayer that did that I listed on my list and would never buy from them.This here is what I am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250230470840&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

And here is a closeup of the article in wizard.

wizarderror.jpg

there is a bunch of ebayers who even add a picture of the error in the magazine to there sale ad trying to sell the books for stupid prices when you can still get them on the shelf at regular price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250230470840&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

At least a lot of potential buyers didn't fall into that trap.

You see it all the time, an ebay seller that writes "CGC it" in the subject heading of his auction.

I always assume if it was worth sending to CGC the seller would have done so already.

What is your experience? Ever buy a comic advertised as "CGC it" and then actually send it to CGC?

Oh yeah, all the time. They make great freebies lol

My first CGC purchase was a CGC 9.8 copy of Starslayer #15 and after that I was hooked :/ I joined the Collectors Society so I could start submitting and the majority of my raw purchases were from ebay members urging me to "CGC it!" So, I did just that and I was very pleased with the results. I went for the scan option with each of these "CGC it!" submissions:

Batman-TheManWhoLaughs.jpg

TagandBink1.jpg

BabysFirstDeadpoolBook1.jpg

DeadpoolTeam-Up1.jpg

EncyclopaediaDeadpoolica1.jpg

Punisher1.jpg

3001.jpg

141776-002.jpg

141776-003.jpg

MouseGuard1.jpg