• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes Kryponite deadly?

31 posts in this topic

Was it ever explained in comics whether Kryponite can kill the people of Krypton when they still had a planet? Or is Kryponite only deadly to them when its on Earth?

Did the planets explosion make the planets matter deadly? Or was it always deadly to the people of Krypton?

Doing some research for a friend of mine.

Yes!

What makes Kryponite deadly? Our sun?

Was the stuff on the planet Krypton all the time?

Dude, Kryptonite is just pieces of teh planet Krypton. Yes, the yellow sun changes everything from Krypton.

It has to have been some elemant on Krypton that was transformed when it exploded...it can't just be Krypton itself otherwise Candor would be toxic... hm

Ecased in a crystal bottle the lead would keep it...well...corked.

R.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

Let me put it this way.

A person living on Krypton comes in contact with some kind of ore that can kill them, something thats there already. Or has this material been made deadly by the planets explosion?

It has to have been some elemant on Krypton that was transformed when it exploded...it can't just be Krypton itself otherwise Candor would be toxic... hm

R.

But the Kandorians are exposed... hm...and is it a lead cork???...

Yes!

What makes Kryponite deadly? Our sun?

Was the stuff on the planet Krypton all the time?

Dude, Kryptonite is just pieces of teh planet Krypton. Yes, the yellow sun changes everything from Krypton.

Surely the explosion changed some of the radioactive properties of the planet. That's how you get the different colors of kryptonite - each piece emitting a different wavelength once it is exposed to a yellow sun?

Where's Selegue, he's a chemist.

R.

But the Kandorians are exposed... hm...and is it a lead cork???...

It's a friggin comic! I'm pretty proud of my quick fix to the problem, though. And I figure that if lead blocks the kryptonite it blocks the sun's yellow effects. The cork was lead impregnated.

Dagnabit I don't know!!! I'm a Marvel Zombie!!!

:frustrated:

I beleive Kryptonite is fragments of the planet Krypton which passed through a radiation field in space on it's way to Earth after Krypton exploded. thus making the element "radioactive" and harmful to anyone from Krypton. but not humans.

many fragments passed through different radiation fields and depending on which field it passed through determines what type (green, blue, white, jewel, Reese Cup) of Kryptonite it is.

at least that's what I remember from the Silver Age up to the Bryne era as being the explanation. don't really know the current origin or causes.

After creating the perfect all-powerful "super"-man. Siegel and Shuster were faced with what could possibly be the only think he would be powerless against. And cleverly tied it to the source of his powers - - his home planet. How perfectly ironic, right? The explosion that destroyed Krypton altered the molecular structure of the planet giving them a radiation that is poisonous to beings also created from Krypton. (However, since all our cells dies and are replaced as we live would mean that only the birth weight of Kal-els tiny baby body is affected now as the rest of his mass was consumed on Earth (a lot of corn I guess! but comics just play with scientific theories while not being limited by them).

anyway, since Krypton exploded spherically, the idea was that very few particles would possibly have followed Kalel's spaceship on its specific trajectory to Earth, a mathematically minute angle out of all possible angles given the distances involved...

which is an interesting idea: Why hasn't Darkseid or Mongul collected ALL of Kryptons scattered mass (or a few continent sized chunks) and used it to kill Supes yet?

After creating the perfect all-powerful "super"-man. Siegel and Shuster were faced with what could possibly be the only think he would be powerless against. And cleverly tied it to the source of his powers - - his home planet. How perfectly ironic, right? The explosion that destroyed Krypton altered the molecular structure of the planet giving them a radiation that is poisonous to beings also created from Krypton. (However, since all our cells dies and are replaced as we live would mean that only the birth weight of Kal-els tiny baby body is affected now as the rest of his mass was consumed on Earth (a lot of corn I guess! but comics just play with scientific theories while not being limited by them).

anyway, since Krypton exploded spherically, the idea was that very few particles would possibly have followed Kalel's spaceship on its specific trajectory to Earth, a mathematically minute angle out of all possible angles given the distances involved...

which is an interesting idea: Why hasn't Darkseid or Mongul collected ALL of Kryptons scattered mass (or a few continent sized chunks) and used it to kill Supes yet?

Aman that is the best puncuated and spelled post I've had the pleasure of seding you make!

:applause: