• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lee and Ayers Cameo in Sgt. Fury #23

9 posts in this topic

Just reading Sgt. Fury #23 and there is a nice two panel cameo of Stan Lee and Ayers on p. 3.

Ayers: "Hey, Sarge, looks like the Howlers are gettin' ready to head out again!"

Lee: "So, what're you, the town crier? Keep that brush movin', corporal!"

Ayers (thought balloon): "Boy! After this man's war, I'll never hafta take guff like that from a crumb like Lee again!"

Lee: "When we get back to the States, I'm gonna write me some stories about the Howlers! How'dya like to draw 'em, Ayers?"

Ayers (thought balloon): "Oh, nooo!"

As Fury does not have Essentials reprints, it's one corner of the early Marvel Silver Age that provides pleasant surprises.

Interesting to note that in this cameo, Lee managed to make it overseas. I don't know if Ayers served overseas.

Yeah, I wish I had a scanner. I just finished reading Strange Tales #125 and I swear the two reporters in cameo are meant to be Jack Kirby and Stan Lee.

Kinda reminds me of Peter Jackson, he's cameo'd in every single film he's done. Though I'd be hard pressed to see how he slipped himself into Heavenly Creatures.