• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Online Baseball/Basketball Trading Card Quiz

28 posts in this topic

1207872962632.jpg

http://www.mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=276&p=1

"I recently picked up the April/May 2008 issue of Beckett Baseball, my first price guide purchase in roughly 15 years. Turns out I don't have a small fortune stashed away in my parents' basement. But should Todd Van Poppel and Harold Miner ever make comebacks, I'll be set for life. Let's see how well you can determine the value of these trading cards. (Basketball card prices from Beckett Basketball, March 2008 .)"

45%. :tonofbricks:

In the past week, I've received both the latest Robert Edward Auctions and Mastro Auctions catalogs for their May sports memorabilia auctions. You know what struck me looking through these hefty tomes? NOTHING IS RARE!!!! For crying out loud, both houses are offering a T-206 Wagner. Mastro has not one, but two nearly complete T-206 runs! That T-206 "Magie" error card - no problem, Mastro has got 2 or 3 for sale in the latest auction with estimates less than some easy to find Bronze slabs. I've been getting these catalogs for some time now, and there's never a shortage of 1951 Bowman or 1952 Topps Mantles, and when they cite "census" figures it's just ridiculous - "only X hundred examples out of the Y thousand examples of this (insert 1960s Topps rookie card here) have graded higher!" doh!

Every catalog brings complete sets, factory cases (let alone packs), uncut sheets, etc. of just about everything from the 1960s on up - I realize that, having started collecting cards in the late 1970s that I never had a chance, I was born in the wrong era! Everything has been hoarded and stockpiled for years and years apparently - it is just mind-boggling to see how much stuff has survived looking at these catalogs.

Even 1910s-1930s stuff is so plentiful you'd think there were warehouse finds of 1933 and 1934 Goudey sets. Not to mention, all those "NM" cards from when I was collecting 20-25 years ago now seem to be more like "EX" with how tight grading has become - and yet there still seems to be no shortage of high grade cards, even with these standards! Only the super-duper high grade cards seem to be difficult at all to find in grade and carry any kind of eye-popping price tag. Practically everything else, no matter how old or scarce or whatnot looks cheap by comparison...especially when you compare them to comics! hm

45%. :tonofbricks:

In the past week, I've received both the latest Robert Edward Auctions and Mastro Auctions catalogs for their May sports memorabilia auctions. You know what struck me looking through these hefty tomes? NOTHING IS RARE!!!! For crying out loud, both houses are offering a T-206 Wagner. Mastro has not one, but two nearly complete T-206 runs! That T-206 "Magie" error card - no problem, Mastro has got 2 or 3 for sale in the latest auction with estimates less than some easy to find Bronze slabs. I've been getting these catalogs for some time now, and there's never a shortage of 1951 Bowman or 1952 Topps Mantles, and when they cite "census" figures it's just ridiculous - "only X hundred examples out of the Y thousand examples of this (insert 1960s Topps rookie card here) have graded higher!" doh!

Every catalog brings complete sets, factory cases (let alone packs), uncut sheets, etc. of just about everything from the 1960s on up - I realize that, having started collecting cards in the late 1970s that I never had a chance, I was born in the wrong era! Everything has been hoarded and stockpiled for years and years apparently - it is just mind-boggling to see how much stuff has survived looking at these catalogs.

Even 1910s-1930s stuff is so plentiful you'd think there were warehouse finds of 1933 and 1934 Goudey sets. Not to mention, all those "NM" cards from when I was collecting 20-25 years ago now seem to be more like "EX" with how tight grading has become - and yet there still seems to be no shortage of high grade cards, even with these standards! Only the super-duper high grade cards seem to be difficult at all to find in grade and carry any kind of eye-popping price tag. Practically everything else, no matter how old or scarce or whatnot looks cheap by comparison...especially when you compare them to comics! hm

I agree theres a lot more of the ancient stuff than anyone would expect! Or are more people selling now? are baseball cards an early boomer thing in large measure? I always thought that the biggest bulge of Pre-war through Mantle era card collectors were the guys now in their early 60s. Is the available supply (at auction) a result of cashing out by this segment?

Where exactly did this guy get that a George Brett rookie card is worth $80 in NM? :screwy:

Or did he just randomly select conditions, then not tell us?

NM in graded sportscards is a 7. $80 will buy a NM George Brett rookie card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-Topps-228-R-George-Brett-PSA-7-7868_W0QQitemZ370035629235QQihZ024QQcategoryZ55925QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Where exactly did this guy get that a George Brett rookie card is worth $80 in NM? :screwy:

Or did he just randomly select conditions, then not tell us?

NM in graded sportscards is a 7. $80 will buy a NM George Brett rookie card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-Topps-228-R-George-Brett-PSA-7-7868_W0QQitemZ370035629235QQihZ024QQcategoryZ55925QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Okay, I meant whatever is the top price in Beckett (he never stated NM), which I am pretty sure is more than $80. Does anyone have a Beckett?

Then again, since the graded boom/bust, I think raw values have been adjusted down in grade. I can remember seeing Brett's rookie listed for $125 raw, but that might have been for an 8 or 9, and now its backed down to 7 - much like OS dropped to 9.2 max. hm

Try collecting non-sports cards. There's (apparently) a LOT more scarcity of older issues. And not a lot of widespread knowledge.

It seems like a circular problem. If there's not a lot of knowledge,

then people won't know when they have something scarce.

If they don't know they have it, they aren't being counted.

How many of something is "out there" when people don't know to look?