• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Ward Blackhawk question

7 posts in this topic

Is there a list anywhere of the issues of Blackhawk that have Blackhawk stories by Bill Ward?

GCD indicates that 13-20 do, and I've heard later issues do as well, but I know he also did a number of Chop-chop humor strips which makes Overstreet's accounting a bit hard to decipher.

A few years back I picked up a cheap copy of 20, and in addition to the cool cover, I really liked Ward's take on the Blackhawk femme fatale. I'm thinking of keeping an eye out for discounted copies in the 3.0 range, but would like to figure out what books I should be looking for.

I have no idea how accurate this is but Wikipedia shows

"Shortly thereafter, Quality Comics editor George Brenner hired Ward to write and pencil the hit World War II aviator feature "Blackhawk"; Ward confirmably did Military Comics #30-31 (July-Aug. 1944), with the next several issues generally but unconfirmably credited to Al Bryant.[1] He also drew some Blackhawk stories in Modern Comics and some issues of the Blackhawk title itself in 1946 and 1947, occasionally afterward, and then often in the early 1950s. His story "Karlovna Had a True Underworld" from Blackhawk #14 (Spring 1947) was reprinted in the book Comix: A History of Comic Books In America (Bonanza Books, 1971)"

It also says, "Ward's last confirmed comic-book work is at least one Blackhawk story in Blackhawk #63 (April 1953); another story that issue is unconfirmed but generally credited to Ward. His last unconfirmed but generally accepted comic-book works appeared the same month: a Blackhawk story in Blackhawk #65 and a Captain Marvel Jr. tale in Fawcett Comics' The Marvel Family #84 (both June 1953)."

Thanks

A little more information at least- seems like it may be one of those hard to pin down things - like what issues of Plastic Man have non-reprint Jack Cole stories.

Agreed. I thought about looking through Heritage's archives and fining issues they have sold. If it was slabbed, you could see on the label or if not, HA may have listed the artist.

Long and meticulous but just a thought.

GCD is probably a better bet for me if I want to do that kind of leg work - the problem with CGC notations is that likely don't differentiate as to whether it's Ward art on the Chop-chop filler, or on a Black Hawk story. I'm not so interested in the Chop chop stuff.

It's interesting - in the Silver Age, Blackhawk had a hard core fan base - large enough that there was a trading post in the lettercol where fans would offer or look for certain issues, and it was one of the rare hero titles that was published continually from the Golden Age through the Silver Age, but once the title folded, it became just another title with marginal interest in the collecting world.

Did you do a search using the "penciller" or "any credit" criteria? That would show all kinds of stuff.

BTW, shameless plug but I do have a #13 in 6.0 range if interested. It's temporarily on hold but may become available.

R.