• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I buy some comics in mylar archives ...

9 posts in this topic

... and the books look beautiful with the glass-like finish. However, when I remove the comics, you can see the outline of the comic's shape in the mylar sleeve. These sleeves seem to be very popular, so I cannot believe that the comic book suffers damage ... but.... (shrug)

... and the books look beautiful with the glass-like finish. However, when I remove the comics, you can see the outline of the comic's shape in the mylar sleeve. These sleeves seem to be very popular, so I cannot believe that the comic book suffers damage ... but.... (shrug)

When you removed them how did the books look? Any idea what mil mylar or what configuration?

This is not uncommon.

If the comics have been stored in high humidity for for a decent amount of time you will get transference to the mylar. The Mylar is often stiff enough to stop the comic from changing shape or becoming wavy.

If the book was stored in a lightweight poly bag it is possible that the book would have shown signs of rippling or waves if it was not packed tightly in a box.

Russ...

When you removed them how did the books look? Any idea what mil mylar or what configuration?

The books look fine. I researched the mylar on the net and believe it to be 4 mil "archives" (open top).

Are you talking like the boarder of the comic?? could just be that the book was pressed against other books.

It is just the outline of the boarder of the books. The white "scuff" marks (perhaps too harsh a description) rub off of the mylar with a fingertip, without any residue on the fingertip.

This is not uncommon.

If the comics have been stored in high humidity for for a decent amount of time you will get transference to the mylar. The Mylar is often stiff enough to stop the comic from changing shape or becoming wavy.

If the book was stored in a lightweight poly bag it is possible that the book would have shown signs of rippling or waves if it was not packed tightly in a box.

Russ...

Interesting. I thought that my initial observation would be a strike against the mylar but if the high humidity thesis is true then it is clear that the stiff mylar has protected the books completely (no evidence of moisture damage).