• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would This Mini-Defect Do?

14 posts in this topic

Any estimate as to how long it is? I'd guess around 1/32" to 1/64" but I don't have any Bronze books around me right now to compare the comics code symbol to get a more accurate guess.

No idea, but it's pretty tiny, as in a production mini-fleck that's tough to notice at first. I've seen far longer (relatively speaking) mini-folds on CGC 9.4 comics and really am wondering if this would affect a potential 9.6.

The scan I provided is double-sized, if that helps at all.

Just looking for a consensus opinion on how this defect would affect an otherwise-pristine comic book:

corner.jpg

Now I've seen worse on 9.4's, but how hard would it hit above that?

It could be a straight NM or maybe the next grade. My inclination is it would depend on the book itself - age etc.

OK now I'm back around my Bronze books to compare that crease and the Comics Code symbol against a real-life example. Looks like the crease is very slightly under 1/16" but not as small as 1/32".

If you're talking about a book that is truly almost pristine, a 9.9 or 10.0 except for that tiny crease, then a 9.6 shouldn't be out of the question. That CGC 9.6 with the lower-left corner chip in another thread is a worse defect than this...a tear is the final degradation of a crease. If it was lighter and didn't break color as much as it does, I'd say 9.8 was possible.

It could be a straight NM or maybe the next grade. My inclination is it would depend on the book itself - age etc.

Nothing too serious, just one of my many Byrne X-Men. grin.gif

Well, if it is really the only defect, a straight NM is certainly within reason at the least.

Well, if it is really the only defect, a straight NM is certainly within reason at the least.

A NM is a definite, as I've seen CGC 9.4 Bronze issues with folds that are considerably larger than this. I was really wondering what effect it might have on the 9.6 range, just in case anyone had submitted a similar comic.

Well the OS Price Guide (not gradong guide - that is in a box of books I am organizing) syas of 9.6 "no creases bends or color break". Honestly have no idea how CGC would really handle it.

2002 Grading Guide word on the 9.6 grade on the "Corners" category is the following: "almost sharp, one imperceptible blunted corner allowed." No numerical translation available for the "imperceptible" descriptor. 893frustrated.gif

That tends to jive with the simple OS Price guide. I think the color break may prevent a NM+.

That's definitely the controversial point with no clear direction that I can discern from the Guide. If you go by the letter of the Overstreet descriptions, then you can't have a 1/8" color-breaking crease on a VF, yet there are pictorial examples in the grading guide and in CGC slabs that do have one. Since I've seen CGC examples of NM+ books with color-breaking creases or corner tears, I suspect they would allow it on an otherwise-perfect book. I've got a CGC 9.6 with a 1/8" corner crease which breaks color extremely lightly...I can post a scan of that if anyone is interested.

I personally have a hard time accepting a color break like this on a NM+.

I have a Joker 1 CGC 9.4 with a similar defect. I never really looked hard at it to see if there were any other noticeible defects that may take a good hard look to pick up. I never had the book before it was CGC'd as I bought the entire Joker run already CGC graded. The only issues that I have that are 9.6's from the Bronze age are Joker 8 and 9. Neither of them have a very tiny crease similar to your book or the Joker 9.4 I have. But 2 CGC 9.6 from the bronze age are definitely no definitive answer. I wouldn't be suprissed if there are a few 9.6's out there that have very tiny creasing in the corner like that.

That tends to jive with the simple OS Price guide. I think the color break may prevent a NM+.

That's definitely the controversial point with no clear direction that I can discern from the Guide. If you go by the letter of the Overstreet descriptions, then you can't have a 1/8" color-breaking crease on a VF, yet there are pictorial examples in the grading guide and in CGC slabs that do have one. Since I've seen CGC examples of NM+ books with color-breaking creases or corner tears, I suspect they would allow it on an otherwise-perfect book. I've got a CGC 9.6 with a 1/8" corner crease which breaks color extremely lightly...I can post a scan of that if anyone is interested.

I personally have a hard time accepting a color break like this on a NM+.

Well...one of my 2 previous MTU 4s had 2 creases larger than that and it got a 9.6. Of course, the rest of the book was basically perfect but still! Had to dump it cheap to the hoarder Robby. Too bad he is technology deficient so a scan is probably not possible! crazy.gif