• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More recent comics graded by CGC

7 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone knows when CGC started the newer version of their Labels. I like the bigger numbers for sure, but I miss the designations of VF, NM, etc, etc. I'm wondering why they stopped those designations.

Does anyone know?

I went back and found the article and it looks like it was the end of 2003. I didn't think it was that long ago. They never stated why they were losing the descriptive designations though. Not sure what prompted that change.

Easier to see large numerals on thumbnail images. That's also why they got rid of descriptors on the labels. Also, the label is less cluttered than when it had both numerical and descriptive grades. And CGC has constantly tried to cunterfeit-proof their product, so that labels and/or actual books aren't switched out of the slab well. Not that it couldn't still happen, but much less likely with current heat-sealed labels and improved inner wells.

I'm wondering if anyone knows when CGC started the newer version of their Labels. I like the bigger numbers for sure, but I miss the designations of VF, NM, etc, etc. I'm wondering why they stopped those designations.

Does anyone know?

Middle of 2003. My first sub for the year had the old labels and the second sub that got graded around June had the new labels.