• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was KrazyKat the high bidder in Gus' Action 1 auction?

89 posts in this topic

Here's my question. New member BATMANFAN says he is partners with Gus (Silver Age Comics) on a large collection of OO GA books. Does anyone know if bluechip and BATMANFAN are one and the same? I just wonder because bluechip always referenced having a partner in his deals with Silver Age Comics. Is BATMANFAN bluechip's partner? Are they both partners of Gus? Are any of them affiliated with, or are they, Greg Jortner?

I wish I knew, but it has a distinct aroma of 3 day old trout around here.

I am not batmanfan or any other member on this board besides the one I am using now. My partners or co-investors have always either been people you'd know as established dealers or people who invest and don't act as dealers in any way, ebay or elsewhere. As for Gus and Greg Jortner, I consigned and sold some books to them briefly but was unhappy with differences between what we agreed upon and what was actually done. I ended up selling a number of rare early books through them for less than I had agreed to sell them for, and I learned later that some of them were resold for much more, in at least several cases by people who had acted in a group to coordinate their bids to keep the prices down so they could obtain them for resale. So the experience with Silverage was not a good one. I've had no further dealings with them and never even spoke with them face to face. I would not, in fact, recognize either one of them if they were in the room with me right now.

If you're not Transplant and anyone has suggested you read this for any particular reason, please PM me. If you are not on this board and you were sent a link to this, you can reach me via email at request.information.007@gmail.com.

Transplant, if you have any questions, I would very much appreciate you asking me directly first. And I promise I will do the same with you.

Here's my question. New member BATMANFAN says he is partners with Gus (Silver Age Comics) on a large collection of OO GA books. Does anyone know if bluechip and BATMANFAN are one and the same? I just wonder because bluechip always referenced having a partner in his deals with Silver Age Comics. Is BATMANFAN bluechip's partner? Are they both partners of Gus? Are any of them affiliated with, or are they, Greg Jortner?

Have you asked the seller for his full name? With the books he has sold, surely someone must know who this person is. Or perhaps one of the buyers would reveal who he is.

bob, what about the actions that had no reserve, that Silver Age has told a few winners that the consignor (you) are refusing to sell for the final bid prices (shrug)

Some were going to go no matter what because of our arrangements.

But aside from those there were some that were just below what I'd been told was the minimum, and that any difference would be made up. So, there's only a couple that I think haven't been sent but it should not be characterized as us refusing to let them go because Greg at Silver age could, as he said, make up the difference. But I didn't expect him to do that when he said, let alone when the bids didn't make what he assured. That's why I kept telling him the auctions should be closed if it was clear that's what was going to happen and he wasn't really going to make up the difference (which as I said I never really expected)

Afterwards, I couldn't get Greg on the phone so I ended up talkiing with Gus, who was concerned about maintaining good will with his clients. I agreed that was a good idea all around, for him and for me and my partners, and we moved downward from the guarantees on a number of books, but as the name calling continued and I got wind of concerted efforts to kill any sale of the action 1 we had to conclude that selling the lesser actions at a loss didn't seem like it was helping so at a point we just had to say no we aren't taking four figures for book x less than we'd been guaranteed. Gus understood and we continued trying to work things out. But I realized I have been spending more time on trying to knock prices down from what I'd agreed than I'd ever meant to spend on the entire auction and still I am hearing that the action 1 is being described as from five different copies or made with xeroxes and god knows what else -- after all the mea culpas and so on to hear all that was still going on and that all sorts of names and accusations were flying, and to hear that an action 1 was up at a million more with its own problems and attackability ("the highest graded of its kind" etc.), yet we hjear people were letting that slide with cheers and attaboys while making an effort to kill our sale or any sale we propose no matter how well informed the buyers were -- then you gotta say what good's it doing us to take an even bigger price hit than we're taking? But the last one I heard that went below our guarantee I said we'd take less (and not make Gus take less) 'cause I knew the buyer; he was somebody I knew and I bet I could have that particular book to him for more without ever going through silverage or ebay, but we let it go anyway and didn't expect Gus to make up the difference.

Anyway, I was told by a stealth boardie that the hounds were released because of the posted slabbed Action 1s implying some lack of consistency.

But how can real pix be considered such an affront? If they're a genuine representative sample, which these are. And isn't it better to have them used in a reply here than to be put in a listing on ebay as a defense of grade?

What a bunch of drivel. I can barely read through one of your wind bag posts without getting a headache. All this "I don't know any thing, wanted to talk to Greg but got Gus" ,guaranteed price arrangements, shill bidding :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: Ever heard of a reserve? Just one big pile of do do. You listen to "stealth boardies" [whatever that means?] yet you can't give a simple straight forward answer to anything. :whatev:

Well one thing is for sure the books he sold were shipped and delivered immediately with some happy buyers so my guess is, no?

Flee, that is some top-notch detective work! (thumbs u

So who is "twilightboycat" who's selling all those stat covers?

hm I find it personally interesting that in one of our spirited online exchanges, KK once referred to me as a "photocopy buying person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" because I had bid on and won some Stat Production Covers of Marvel's Greatest Comics.

Now I see him bidding on similar stat covers! lol:acclaim:

Not just stat covers... FOREIGN stat covers.

Well one thing is for sure the books he sold were shipped and delivered immediately with some happy buyers so my guess is, no?

Why are you doing this?

A guy posts out of nowhere that I am somebody called Batmanfan and I say I am not, and then you add in more insults.

I have no dealings with Gus at Silverage or with Greg Jortner and I wish I had not had any dealings with them in the first place. Beyond that I know virtually nothing about any other dealings they have or have had, aside from vague statements Greg Jortner made to me nearly tweo years ago.

And what's with the implication of happy customers? I've had very few people ever say they were unhappy, and the biggest percentage of my sales have been to other dealers, who generally resold the books fo rmuch more.

I could say I was an "unhappy customer" of yours a few months back when I bought a Marvel Mystery 9 from you and I thought the pages were described as better than they were (in that the tape was described as removable, when it wasn't and some sections of the pages were gone. But when I asked about it you wouldn't make an adjustment and I didn't demand to send it back. Somewhat unhappy but not to the point of attacking you, even though I realized -- midway through the process, you had attacked me numerous times and did so -- like today -- out of absolutely nowhere.

Again -- I have no effing idea who batmanfan is. And I am not in business with Gus (whatever his last name is) or with Greg Jortner. And neither am I this guy named Narbeh (which, I was surprised to hear, another boardie suggested I was).

Please... take a chill and read some comics, or go to a movie... drink some eggnogg or something.

Why are you doing this?

A guy posts out of nowhere that I am somebody called Batmanfan and I say I am not, and then you add in more insults.

I have no dealings with Gus at Silverage or with Greg Jortner and I wish I had not had any dealings with them in the first place. Beyond that I know virtually nothing about any other dealings they have or have had, aside from vague statements Greg Jortner made to me nearly tweo years ago.

And what's with the implication of happy customers? I've had very few people ever say they were unhappy, and the biggest percentage of my sales have been to other dealers, who generally resold the books fo rmuch more.

I could say I was an "unhappy customer" of yours a few months back when I bought a Marvel Mystery 9 from you and I thought the pages were described as better than they were (in that the tape was described as removable, when it wasn't and some sections of the pages were gone. But when I asked about it you wouldn't make an adjustment and I didn't demand to send it back. Somewhat unhappy but not to the point of attacking you, even though I realized -- midway through the process, you had attacked me numerous times and did so -- like today -- out of absolutely nowhere.

Please... take a chill and read some comics, or go to a movie... drink some eggnogg or something.

Well I don't want to carry on a lengthy discussion about that book on this thread but I stated that the tape could be "professionally removed" and you agreed but suggested that possibly at a "great expense", okay sure? (shrug) The book was obviously in poor condition, incomplete, etc, and described and priced as such, sorry if I wasn't as descriptive as you would have liked. The book was sold to you at a discount and below my cost [i sold a restored copy with no back cover for $4k last year] so I wasn't prepared to discount it further. I don't have too much more to add to this.

Well I don't want to carry on a lengthy discussion about that book on this thread but I stated that the tape could be "professionally removed" and you agreed but suggested that possibly at a "great expense", okay sure? (shrug) The book was obviously in poor condition, incomplete, etc, and described and priced as such, sorry if I wasn't as descriptive as you would have liked. The book was sold to you at a discount and below my cost [i sold a restored copy with no back cover for $4k last year] so I wasn't prepared to discount it further. I don't have too much more to add to this.

Fine. I disagreed somewhat, but left it at that. I DIDN'T ATTACK YOU.

I would really appreciate it if you would stop attacking me.