• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC submission inquiry--any help appreciated...

13 posts in this topic

I submitted one book a few years ago, but yesterday mailed my second submission--3 late Silver Age ASMs, all economy tier.

I chose registered mail for them to come back by and mailed them in a Flat Rate Box, fully insured, and with a return receipt. All told it was $129 (or $43 per book). I did get the 10% off the 29.00 charge per book, but any suggestions on possibly bringing down the total price in the future--as far as the shipping aspects? :shrug:

Put the value of each book at $5.00 ... :gossip:
Ask Detective27kid how good an idea it is to underdeclare the value to save on insurance. 2 suggestions: If you have a lot of books under $100, do the 30 book value tier. You could skip the return receipt. Between the insurance and the delivery confirmation, it's practically the same thing.

I submitted one book a few years ago, but yesterday mailed my second submission--3 late Silver Age ASMs, all economy tier.

I chose registered mail for them to come back by and mailed them in a Flat Rate Box, fully insured, and with a return receipt. All told it was $129 (or $43 per book). I did get the 10% off the 29.00 charge per book, but any suggestions on possibly bringing down the total price in the future--as far as the shipping aspects? :shrug:

Nope.

I do the exact same thing.

CGC forces you to choose registered mail.

I don't even know why there is a check box. You can't move forward until you click it anyway.

I realize that with more expensive books the registered mail is probably a very good idea.

But I really would prefer an option on shipping.

I send all my books to them for $12.00 and have to pay $50.00 just to get them back plus all the grading cost.

I am willing to risk it with my books.

I just sent in 12 books via the economy route and the return shipping was only $46.45 which reduces my total cost per book versus sending in just 2 or 3 at a time. My cost per book was $29.97 after the 10% discount. Just a thought on reducing your per book cost.

John

Two-way shipping is expensive. Sending 30 at a time will definitely bring down your average cost. However, shipping 30 at a time also makes my wife notice how much money I spend.

I hear you on that one lol

Get your own UPS account (free w/ credit card on file) and use a third party insurance company. Most will insure UPS for about 40 cents for every $100 (First $100 is free from UPS). That way UPS charges you directly and then you use the tracking number to buy the insurance with the third party. Saves you a TON of money.

Drop off at the 30 books at the CGC booth at a con and you will meet some nice people and save the postage to CGC.

The best idea yet!

This is what I do when that opportunity presents itself.

CAL :hi: