• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit 1940's Sunday Comics Collection

35 posts in this topic

:o That's like the blood spurt at the end of Sanjuro!

128454239_o.jpg

:o That's like the blood spurt at the end of Sanjuro!

Not blood . . . ketchup! Turns out its not a stiff, but a dummy they are luggin' around town.

Don't forget Lady Luck.

128504943_o.jpg

She only got four pages each week, but the stories are as good as the main feature . . .

I like the Spirit as well. For classic golden age comics, Spirit Sections are very affordable, although they don't have covers. The depiction of The Spirit's African American cab driver Ebony White from the sections really shows how times have changed. And Denny is still around and doing well.

I like the Spirit as well. For classic golden age comics, Spirit Sections are very affordable, although they don't have covers. The depiction of The Spirit's African American cab driver Ebony White from the sections really shows how times have changed. And Denny is still around and doing well.

Pick up some early Dell's and you'll see the same thing. Comic's have certainly been a cultural barometer of change. But GA is a definitely a low time for cultural awareness, when looked at out of context.

Spirit does roack by the way, seriously underratred next to other GA contributions. His work stylistically would look out of place for the next 40 years from it's inception.

Pick up some early Dell's and you'll see the same thing. Comic's have certainly been a cultural barometer of change. But GA is a definitely a low time for cultural awareness, when looked at out of context.

Spirit does roack by the way, seriously underratred next to other GA contributions. His work stylistically would look out of place for the next 40 years from it's inception.

I have not read Dells, although the owner of my LCS, whose opinions I respect, says that besides EC's, Dell comics were the higher quality comics in the 50's. Do the Dells include the cartoon characters like Little Lulu, Little Dot, etc? Are those the books to which you refer?

Thanks.

I've managed a good number of "good deals" over time but the Spirit sectioons were among the best/luckiest.

I saw a few sections up on Ebay about a year and a half ago and bought a bunch of decent copies for $20 each. After I won, I e-mailed the guy to see if he happened to have a copy of the first issue. He did and offered it to me for $50. The ones he had posted were posted randomly, more or less. All were within the first year or two of he start date.

It's only about GOOD+, but more so than a pretty good deal, was getting one at all.

I picked up about ten issues of the new series, outstanding!

Great character updates, the stories have the rhythm of the original series. Transforming nazis into terrorist is a nice touch.

131445714_o.jpg

Moving back to May 1943 , , , ,

128515408_o.jpg

128515489_o.jpg

128515573_o.jpg

128515639_o.jpg