• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Defenders #1

39 posts in this topic

Just left-click and rub the pointer along the page like you were copy/pasting.

You can read the white letters then. smirk.gif

Not that those pumpkin eviscertion pics aren't interesting, but back to the defenders 1. There have been many as of late in the 9.4+ range - but there have been even more Marvel Feature 1s which is supposed to be a fairly rare book due to the squarebinding. I know ComicLink has at least 4 copies in 9.6 as Josh bought 2 on ebay last month for under $1000. As those books came out in the early 70s, I think collectors probably snapped up the 1s and there are a good many high grade copies just like a lot of books from that same time period. Still great books but not rare or super hard to find.

Is it me or is this book coming out of the woodwork on ebay and elsewhere? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it's been that way for quite some time now...where have you been Mr. Know-It-ALL? You didn't actually think bronze age books are rare did you? confused-smiley-013.gif

you are such an . I am talking about 1 particular book that has been showing up in high grade on ebay and such recently. Did I say that it was rare? No. Go stalk those 4th grade boys u admire so much. boo.gif

talking about 1 book that has been up on ebay in high grade recently?? where have you been? Besides trying to blow yourself when the wife isn't home? You didn't have to say it was rare..Any insufficiently_thoughtful_person like yourself can tell that a Defenders #1 is common..just like everything else you buy,flip and steal.

As those books came out in the early 70s, I think collectors probably snapped up the 1s and there are a good many high grade copies just like a lot of books from that same time period. Still great books but not rare or super hard to find.

This is exactly what happened, and many times the #2-3 issues can be harder to find in HG than the over-speculated #1's.

Very true about the #1's and the issues where it was released that a new character was appearing (like Special Marvel Edition 15) or in issues where it wasn't a big first appearance but in a few months the character did enough to make the people go back and hoard (i.e Hulf 181). It's hard to think of any examples where there wasn't a big "press release" and where it took several years before the book became key (where it was too late to go grab a bunch). The only example of a legit "rare" key would be Iron Man 55. Any one else with some good examples?

Any one else with some good examples?

There are a few that come close, such as #1's or first apps that never went anywhere, but achieved "slow and steady" price increases. This is most prevalent in the black cover issues (which were put in the normal racks) like:

Luke Cage 1, MTU 1, and Amazing Adventures 11.

There are also quite a few DC Horror books that went the same route, and are quite rare in HG due to mishandling and shelf-wear.

Good examples. It's the ones that caught on many years later and the ones that people never thought would be a good investment (such as the Cage 1). The Amazing Adventures 11 is a great example 'cause who really, until recently, cared about the first appearance on the blue beast plus it being #11.