• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever sold off their "grail piece"?

48 posts in this topic

I sold one of my grails...someone offered me a boatload of cash...then I took that boatload and added some more on top of that and offered that to another for a grail I never even thought I'd own or knew existed...and now I own that grail. Sometimes selling one of your grails can have a happy ending!

Well, technically everything in my collection is for sale at the right price. But on some pieces, my ask price would be so high, I'd never expect anyone to pay it.

My Batman 121, Superman 146, certain Actions, and some other DCs which I perceive to be difficult are books that I am very reluctant to sell. All of my MIS books are keepers and I only sell when I upgrade.

But I don't own a Church book or something that is so unique it can't be replaced... I thought I'd never sell my GL 76 9.0 until I would buy a few, slab them, or buy them more often, and I realized that these are certainly out there as well.

Yes I sure have but you know what there will always be another day. If I've learned one thing over the last few years is that just when you think a book will never be available again they show up on the market. We haven't seen this many awesome GA books for sale since probably 2005 and the Cage offering was what 2002? So I figure every 3 years or so when people decide to move to knew homes, economy slows, etc books will resurface again. Currently I have only one book I wouldn't sell unless I was offerred 4x what I paid for it as that would ease the pain of selling it.

We all can tell stories aboout what our dream collectible is and what we would do to acquire it. My question is this, have you ever acquired said piece but then been offered so much money that you parted with it? Did it haunt you forever or did you take the money and put it towards something else and never look back?

Jim

Yes. More than once. :(

I regret them to this day.

Says the man who bought Action 1-10 all in one day. They're not grails if you don't have to work to get them. :baiting:

:acclaim:

Though not a grail, I sold off a page of original art by John Byrne/John Romita from the ASM volume 2, issue 18. The money went to get my stupid car repaired and for my daughter's birthday party, so at least it was a good cause. The other positive was that it went to someone who I knew would enjoy the piece more than I every would have.

My grail was a Funnies 64 (1st Woody Woodpecker) which I still have. Highest graded copy of 3 graded at 6.0. Not sure if there is a Pedigree on this book but I would think it'd be tough as nails to find another even presentable copy. I even bought a reader (below) since I never see this issue for sale. Only one has sold on Heritage and it was in Fair and is one of the three graded.

The other book is Little Dot 6 (first Richie Rich cover) highest graded at 5.5. While I'd rather have a Little Dot 1 in high grade, I enjoy owning these tough as nails funny books. Paid Metro a pretty penny for it but it just never comes up for sale and it was less than a grand so what the hell. I'd sell this one but like others have said, no one would pay my asking price. No other issues sold on heritage and I've seen one other copy on ebay. I have to believe there is a file copy of this issue out there though as all the surrounding issues have file copies.

The fact that selling these might get a few grand makes the decision to keep pretty easy. It'd be tougher if it was an Action #7 or Tec 31 worth 100k and I was in the market to buy a house or had lost a job.

My reader.

nf64.jpg

Years ago I sold my copy of Blue Beetle 54. It was in great shape with slight restoration.

Why did I sell it? I don't remember, and I have nothing to show for the money I got for it. I've regretted it eve since.

Today, it's one of those "what WAS I thinking" past events that you just can't explain.

gozer

--------------------

Ah, Ethnictown -- where hard-working immigrants dream of becoming lazy,

overfed Americans.