• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade: Avengers #6

42 posts in this topic

C'mon Bob, whats CGCs grade? :popcorn:

Still need to scan the new label (have to wait until after dinner). I will tell you now that the book was graded twice: I bought it already slabbed in '03, cracked it, placed it in mylar with a fullback for 5 years, then had it graded again this month. The two grades don't match... :shy:

Looks like a PGX 10.5 to me.....OOOPS :o wrong forum. Due to several VERY slight spine stresses I'd say CGC 9.2 although a very strong one.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Everyone's right, because there are two different grades for this book. I purchased it already slabbed back in '03, cracked it out, and kept it in a mylite inside a mylar with a full backing board until I had it re-encapsulated this month. The following transition occurred.

Av6label.jpg

Avengers69-0.jpg

The book is gorgeous. There is only a single teensy color-breaking spine stress line, and (the killer for CGC) two small surface impressions along the spine on the back cover. What is so frustrating about the large emphasis these impressions receive in CGC's mind is that they don't break paper or color and can be easily removed by artificial means. :pullhair:

Oh, Matt? :o

Everyone's right, because there are two different grades for this book. I purchased it already slabbed back in '03, cracked it out, and kept it in a mylite inside a mylar with a full backing board until I had it re-encapsulated this month. The following transition occurred.

Av6label.jpg

Avengers69-0.jpg

The book is gorgeous. There is only a single teensy color-breaking spine stress line, and (the killer for CGC) two small surface impressions along the spine on the back cover. What is so frustrating about the large emphasis these impressions receive in CGC's mind is that they don't break paper or color and can be easily removed by artificial means. :pullhair:

You have to wonder if the book did not receive any damage while in the holder. The difference between 9.2 and 9.0 could be caused by one of the top or bottom edges resting against the holder or the holder itself putting stress on the spine.

Who knows (shrug) but it a thought.

Av6label.jpg

Avengers69-0.jpg

Bob, since we all know that you know your S#$t about grading, i especially feel your pain. after having spent 3 days selling raw boks in NYC for the first, i've come away with a few observations:

Most collectors aren't too concerned about resto - not one single person asked me one single question about restoration on my raw books.

while watching folks pore over books, asking me to open the mylites, etc., i noticed that they look at the edges first, and the interiors second. almost no one held the books up at an angle to catch slight surface imperfections such as the two you describe.

i find this frustrating for two reasons; it's a minor defect that seems to affect the grade too harshly and it perpetuates the theory that this is a means to garner return business.............. :(

and, Interestingly, this is the biggest single reason that you can't accurately determine a CGC grade from a scan - these are the defects that often just can't be seen.....except in hand :frustrated:

having said all that, it doesn't explain the difference in grades. the two impressions were not likely put there by you. not sure how 3 folks can differ in opinion on the same book in the same shape after a couple of years go by............

Av6label.jpg

Avengers69-0.jpg

Bob, not that I want to pizz on your bonfire, but CGC can't grade based on what could be done to the book. They grade what they have before them.

What happens after the event, and before the resub, is not their problem. :insane: