• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Up With All the HG 1950s SA?

104 posts in this topic

The auction may actually increase the value of your books anyway.I still believe the SA D.C.'s are approaching what is called the "tipping point"....that mercurial point in which a fad is born.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If so its about freaking time. DCs have always slingshotted after Marvels shoot up, but not yet this time around... yet. The big money might have been waiting for 9.4s, and finally, here they come.

You`ve been saying for several years now that you think DCs are too expensive in grade, and now you`re saying it`s about time they moved up in price?

For what it`s worth, I think HG early SA DCs have been expensive for a while now, at least in terms of non-keys. The big difference is in the keys, where Marvel keys in 9.4 and above regularly break $50K, while only a handful of DCs could do so (and only one has done so publicly).

For years the guide was chock full of "undervalued books" many of which were the direct result of NO sales occuring.The 1956-1962 D.C.'s are full of examples.With that time period following so closely behind the Wertham era...I don't doubt that Moms around the country were throwing out those "filthy things" as fast as they could find them.They are scarce.The high sales have always added credibility to collectibles and I think the high grade D.C.'s were always being held back waiting for someone else to take the first plunge.Comic collecting is more socially acceptable now than ever before....the boom for D.C."s is inevitable.GOD BLESS...

P.S. D.C. has been doing some fairly steady damage to Marvels market share of new publications and are still publishing similar variations of many of the old standbys.Some of those buyers will become high end collectors and we all know it only takes a few.

So, if you are a collector isn't more availablilty a good thing. I would like prices to moderate a bit. In these auctions:

1. Buy what you like.

2. Buy what you can afford.

3. Don't worry about price.

I have found that price always takes care of itself over time. But again, this only applies to collectors. Investors beware. First Solar and Wrigleys would have been much better investments than comics.

When did the Superman titles become so popular? Between the CL auction and now Heritage, 12-15X Guide for a 9.4 copy of a late 1950s/early 1960s Superman or Action seems to be the going rate. I had hopes of picking up some of the issues with Legion appearances, but the top bidders are in a different world.

GL 8 in 9.2 > $3,500. That's some value jump.

Wasn't it a boardie that owned tha book?

R.

R.

i may be mistaken but i believe a banned boardie owned a 9.2 (maybe it was only a 9.0) of this book but was not the book in the auction

That GL 8 is such a STRONG cover.The story is pretty cool also...I expected it to soar.I'm just happy I got my raw copy from Ted V for less than 300...granted it's only a marginal VF, but it's always been one of my fav's.I had secretly hoped to snag a high grade action 241 ( 1st Fortress of Solitude ) but it just ain't happnin'.The non key Supergirl Actions weren't TOO outrageous...and some of them are PLENTY cool.If most of us want to get on the high grade D.C. bus...we're going to have to make sacrifices.There's gents out there who have been waiting for years just for the CHANCE to go after this kind of stuff.GOD BLESS...

I guess the key to selling on Heritage is to call it a "collection" (OO or not) and sell everything at once to get the max value. The price on the GL #8 is insane :insane: - looks like it might be time to pick up a few HG earlier GLs and slab them for an upcoming HA.

R.

i may be mistaken but i believe a banned boardie owned a 9.2 (maybe it was only a 9.0) of this book but was not the book in the auction

Clink also had/has(?) a 9.2 GL 8 @ 3K but it has a pretty bad off centering prob.GOD BLESS...

The price is unreal, but the Toth copy looks pretty unreal, too. White pages, cover in near perfect registration, snow white back cover. Killer copy at a killer price. Likewise on a bunch of the Supes, Actions and Adventures.

When did the Superman titles become so popular? Between the CL auction and now Heritage, 12-15X Guide for a 9.4 copy of a late 1950s/early 1960s Superman or Action seems to be the going rate. I had hopes of picking up some of the issues with Legion appearances, but the top bidders are in a different world.

I knew from the moment I first saw all these listings that this auction would take SA DC to a different level. I really wanted some issues but I didn't even bother to bid - all far too rich for me!

The price is unreal, but the Toth copy looks pretty unreal, too. White pages, cover in near perfect registration, snow white back cover. Killer copy at a killer price. Likewise on a bunch of the Supes, Actions and Adventures.

You've been collecting for a while now....how many truly exceptional copies of GL 8 do you remember ever seeing.? I saw ONE at a Tyson's Corner show back in the early 90's....probably a 9.2,maybe 9.4.I think Al Stoltz had it for $ 300...about double guide.I had a couple hundred on me and I couldn't work anything out with him.Bummer.It's not too tough in fine but 8.5 or higher ...fuggitaboutit.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

The scary part is with books like the only one I thought I had a smidgen of a chance to win....an 8.5 Superman 129 with possibly my favorite cover of the run.It IS the 1st Lori Lemaris but almost 500 dollars for a book that isn't even in the 9 zone ? WOW....and I might have gone harder for it if a sweet FF 13 upgrade didn't turn up on the boards.I wonder what it would've taken to win that book?GOD BLESS...

I guess the key to selling on Heritage is to call it a "collection" (OO or not) and sell everything at once to get the max value. The price on the GL #8 is insane :insane: - looks like it might be time to pick up a few HG earlier GLs and slab them for an upcoming HA.

yea, a #7 would go for boatloads these days. :baiting:

The scary part is with books like the only one I thought I had a smidgen of a chance to win....an 8.5 Superman 129 with possibly my favorite cover of the run.It IS the 1st Lori Lemaris but almost 500 dollars for a book that isn't even in the 9 zone ? WOW....and I might have gone harder for it if a sweet FF 13 upgrade didn't turn up on the boards.I wonder what it would've taken to win that book?GOD BLESS...

i just sat thru watching that as well- even the 8.0's were going for 3-4x guide. 10-12x for 9.4's. god bless is right. the one book that went for peanuts was a fantastic frank copy- i think it was #154 in 9.4 for less than 3x guide. i would've pulled the trigger but hadn't paid attention to the book beforehand and didn't know if it had the fantastic frank grease pencil of death- didn't have time to check before it was on to the next book.

WOW! :o These prices are over the top! I have been a long-time HG (8.5 and above) Silver collector of all the Superman titles (Action, Adventure, Superman/boy..) and this news has me thinking of selling for the first time.... hm

Bill

WOW! :o These prices are over the top! I have been a long-time HG (8.5 and above) Silver collector of all the Superman titles (Action, Adventure, Superman/boy..) and this news has me thinking of selling for the first time.... hm

Bill

If you do...keep a couple dozen of your most favorite...you'll miss them.GOD BLESS...

p.s. This isn't a D.C. example but I can't for the life of me figure how a 9.0 copy of TOS 44 hit 3600 clams.