• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Up With All the HG 1950s SA?

104 posts in this topic

My bids got blown to bits. Viva la 1950s DCs!

Word! (thumbs u

You've been collecting for a while now....how many truly exceptional copies of GL 8 do you remember ever seeing.?

I get to see this one every day! :grin: But not for much longer. :(

GL8.jpg

I guess the key to selling on Heritage is to call it a "collection" (OO or not) and sell everything at once to get the max value. The price on the GL #8 is insane :insane: - looks like it might be time to pick up a few HG earlier GLs and slab them for an upcoming HA.

yea, a #7 would go for boatloads these days. :baiting:

:roflmao:

You've been collecting for a while now....how many truly exceptional copies of GL 8 do you remember ever seeing.?

I get to see this one every day! :grin: But not for much longer. :(

GL8.jpg

$8k? 10k?? the insanity begins at only 9.2 on that book. didn't murnane have a 9.2?

Yeah, Murnane paid up big time (I believe Paris Fred was the underbidder), and then I seem to recall another 9.2 copy coming up on Heritage and selling for a much lower price. Then the Toth copy selling at this price. I think the book is not quite as rare in 9.0 and above as some have made it out to be. Although this particular 9.4 copy will not see the light of day any time soon.

Yeah, Murnane paid up big time (I believe Paris Fred was the underbidder), and then I seem to recall another 9.2 copy coming up on Heritage and selling for a much lower price. Then the Toth copy selling at this price. I think the book is not quite as rare in 9.0 and above as some have made it out to be. Although this particular 9.4 copy will not see the light of day any time soon.

Paris was the high bidder. I hear Murnane is still looking for a copy.

let him know "collecting is a marathon not a sprint."

Sorry, you`re absolutely right. I got the order mixed up.

I thought I had put in some pretty aggressive bids and I wound up winning only one book of the 8 that I had bid on, Superman #149 9.4 copy. How come the Toth collection isn't considered a pedigree? It states in the Heritage catalog that he purchased his astounding books from the newstands in the late 50's and early sixties? David Toth really knew how to cherry pick the best copies thats for sure! His storage techniques were quite remarkable considering there were no comic bags. Erik

probably because he didnt have ALL the keys, or enough of them. And did he collect Marvels? With so many Pedigrees already CGC has gotten downright stingy with them now. Im surprised to hear that you picked up so little in the auctions because I would have had you as candidate #1 to be buying the runs. Now I have no idea WHO was buying them! Or maybe they were split up to many collectors?

How come the Toth collection isn't considered a pedigree? It states in the Heritage catalog that he purchased his astounding books from the newstands in the late 50's and early sixties? David Toth really knew how to cherry pick the best copies thats for sure! His storage techniques were quite remarkable considering there were no comic bags. Erik

From what I understand, the main knock against the collection was its relatively limited breadth, being mostly Superman-related titles, and absence of keys. No real runs of Showcase or B&B, among other things. In this first batch that went up on Heritage, the only mega-keys were the B&B 28, JLA 1 and Adventure 247, and the Adventure 247 was low grade.

Still, if this collection had been brought out a few years earlier, perhaps it might have received a pedigree designation. After all, the Vancouver pedigree falls short on the breadth and keys criteria too.

How come the Toth collection isn't considered a pedigree? It states in the Heritage catalog that he purchased his astounding books from the newstands in the late 50's and early sixties? David Toth really knew how to cherry pick the best copies thats for sure! His storage techniques were quite remarkable considering there were no comic bags. Erik

From what I understand, the main knock against the collection was its relatively limited breadth, being mostly Superman-related titles, and absence of keys. No real runs of Showcase or B&B, among other things. In this first batch that went up on Heritage, the only mega-keys were the B&B 28, JLA 1 and Adventure 247, and the Adventure 247 was low grade.

Still, if this collection had been brought out a few years earlier, perhaps it might have received a pedigree designation. After all, the Vancouver pedigree falls short on the breadth and keys criteria too.

It was lacking in big books (DC or Marvel) and there was definite inconsistency in the early and later issues.

According to the Heritage article in their catalog the Toth collection had 20,000 DCs and Marvels. The Adventure 247 was an 8.5 and it had the highest graded copy of Action 252, a 9.0 in it. What about the Mohawk Valley collection or the Diamond Run?

According to the Heritage article in their catalog the Toth collection had 20,000 DCs and Marvels. The Adventure 247 was an 8.5 and it had the highest graded copy of Action 252, a 9.0 in it. What about the Mohawk Valley collection or the Diamond Run?

Also wasnt the Jimmy Olsen 1 and Lois Lane 1 highest graded copies as well? Rosa's are a pedigree and this isnt? :screwy:

you think those 7.5s will end up being the top graded copies? i know they are tough bookz in grade, but sooner or later there will be 9.0s appearing. Theres a handful of Showcase 4s above 9.0 and that was more than a year earlier.

There's definitely a nicer, ungraded copy of JO 1 and LL 1.

CGC sure grades alot tougher than any dealers, so I sure wont be buying anymore unslabbed books! So you can't say for sure whether an unslabbed book is definitely better until it is graded. Too much undisclosed restoration done for no reason at all on some books. On some books like the first appearance of Bizarro in Superboy #68, I had to hold back even though its the HGC in the census, it's only a 9.0 and still sold for $3107! It's a big gamble paying that much over guide not knowing what else is out there! In 40 years of looking I have never seen a high grade copy with nice page quality. Actually a 9.0 for a Superboy #68 is impressive and the Bizarro Superman even made an appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated this past week!

I think that was a lot to pay too. But probably worth the gamble as it will in all likelihood remain in the top handful of copies. But there has to be a 9.2 out there somewhere too. Who knows, maybe a 9.6 like the JLA#1.

overall, 9.0 and even 8.5 for some issues will remain HG for many 50s DC keys. Maybe not top copy, but not many copies behind it on the census.