• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF OA TO COME TO AUXTION TO DATE?

14 posts in this topic

If Mel Ramos were a comic artist, I'd have to agree with the argument. I'm not saying that there's no relevance but that the relevance is limited. Ramos is pretty much renowned as a pop artist and his artwork commands a strong price tag because of the "pop artist" designation, not the "he painted Green Lantern" designation.

What I'm trying to say is, Ramos' collectors will be the people that benefit from a big dollar sale here. Comic OA collectors will see no difference in the price of comic OA because of it.

It's kind of like saying that Roy Lichtenstein painted "romance comics" artwork that resembled comic panels and, therefore, romance comics OA should be more valuable. It doesn't follow.

Thanks for the fun link, though.

I think it is wholly relevant as evidence of:

(1) Comic Images commanding fine art market prices

(2) the Fine Art markets recognition of OA

(3) data points in a trend for OA

How can you say there is NO relevance ? ? ? THAT strikes me as strange.

Here is why it has no relevance to me.

I own a Glenn Fabry Cover. I know that I got a good deal. I know that glenn fabry covers go for atleast 4 times what I paid. I also know that I have always wanted a Glenn Fabry cover. Therefore I will never sell it unless I am using the money to get a better Glenn Fabry cover which I would want more.

Original Art going up only means one thing to me. I can't buy as much as I want. I didn't get in when it was really cheap. Many of the names I want like Miller, Kirby, Ditko, Frazetta, Good Mcfarlane, James Jean covers, will always be out of my price range. Once in a while I get lucky and get a nice piece for way below market. Even at that the pieces still cost no less than 100 bucks.

About once a year I really get to splurge and get a really nice piece than may cost 500 or 1000. The only reason I spend that is I know there is no other way to get a nice piece that I really want for less.

It's funny. For the past month or so I have talked to other OA collectors about how insane the run-up has been in the market.

Peanuts dailys over 50K! Sundays over 100K!

Bronze Age covers over 50K!

Romita doodles over 25K!

Jim Lee covers over 70K!

We have all chuckled that maybe KK isn't as KRAZY as we thought.

A shill? Yes.

A pain in the butt? Yes.

Persistent? Yes

An OA prognosticator? Not yet, but he's getting close.

It's funny. For the past month or so I have talked to other OA collectors about how insane the run-up has been in the market.

Peanuts dailys over 50K! Sundays over 100K!

Bronze Age covers over 50K!

Romita doodles over 25K!

Jim Lee covers over 70K!

We have all chuckled that maybe KK isn't as KRAZY as we thought.

A shill? Yes.

A pain in the butt? Yes.

Persistent? Yes

An OA prognosticator? Not yet, but he's getting close.

meh Predictions of future events, values, etc etc don't really impress me without specifics or a time frame to limit them...for example...The CUBS will win the world series....I did not say when or how or if I would even be alive if they did it but when they do it I will be deemed Nostradamus because I "called it".

I have alot of faith in the intrinsic value of artwork. A lot of educated/experienced people in this hobby do. They also tend to put their money where their mouth is, however. It's hard for me to take anyone seriously who hasn't, doesn't, and when has a chance to won't.

C

WOO! LET'S! WOO! GO! CUBS! WOO!

Ronnie Woo Woo could use your dentist...

2004_09_ronniewoowoo.jpg