• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this board an accurate reflection of the hobby?

92 posts in this topic

This is definatly the best place to catch up. I collected comics from the early 60's to the late 70's. I put my collection away to raise a family and start a business. 2 years ago I started coming on here and found that I knew next to nothing about comic collecting as it is in todays world. These people are for the most part the most knowledgeable people you will find in this area with no hidden agenda. They share their information and help readily. I come here pretty much everyday and everyday I usually learn something new. It was to my shagrin that I did learn that my collection of over 5000 comics wasn't nearly as valuable as I thought. That aside, knowledge is power and you couldn't learn from any better source, that I have found anyway. I think there are a lot us us midgrade collectors on here but that we keep mostly silent due to the fact of being overwhelmed by the quality of a lot of the books people have on here. I mean there are over 11,000 members on here and they can't all have only high grade stuff, can they?? I don't know for sure but like you I will continue to plod (oops..now see that's a word I learned you shouldn't use on here) along, learning what I can, upgrading my collection and someday selling off the 4500 or so books I no longer want.

You need a strong stomach here.

It's like visting the sausage factory and seeing the truth behind the curtain.

In some ways your better off, in others it may ruin your naivitee and enjoyment of the whole hobby.

I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal).

That's a great price-point to collect these at, and you've probably seen this will get you into around a Good copy of most books, slightly lower for the biggies (AF 15, FF 1), maybe a little nicer for books like ST 110 or Daredevil 1. I think those types of books are just as enthusiastically received as HG copies. Furthermore, if you look at GA books, they are collected in all grades...for post-1965 and later books, it's pretty much either a reader, or a NM gem with mid-grade books analagous to "commons" in the card market.

That said, there are certainly a lot of HG collectors that enjoy sharing their books on these forums, but most of the "criticism" that I see comes from members criticizing HG collectors (like JC calling them "insane whackos" above) and putting them down as "investors", etc.,.. I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books...

:roflmao:

Jokingly, yeah, but never with the venom that "evil investors" or "HG snobs" are referred to.

We all loved that Hulk 2 with the big rat chew didn't we? :cloud9:

I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books and those that collect them...

That's because they can't be bothered; such books are beneath their contempt. Some HG collectors here have even likened them to TOILET PAPER! :grin:

Well I did sit on your AA naked before I mailed it out.

R.

Eww, gross... peter tracks and skid marks. :sick:

AmazingAdventures65_5-1.jpg

That is so wrong it's almost indescribable.

If you love early Marvel, you must treat yourself to more than 10 books.

Back in the day I had near-complete runs of just about all Marvel's super hero stuff, as well as a ton of Adams & Kirby DC stuff. Sold 'em all to pay for college. When I say near-complete, it was FF 2-200, ASM 2-150, you get the idea. Now I just want the ones I couldn't have back then. And it's probably fewer than 10. Daredevil & Thor never really did much for me. If I expand, it'll probably be all six original Hulks too. After that? I'll probably be satisfied (yeah right). If not probably EC, maybe some GA Timlies.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. At this point my collection consists of getting burnt on a bogus AF 15 (successfully returned though) and a copy of Avengers Annual #7 which used to be one of my favorite comics.

Thanks for all your input, you elitist bastards!

(and I mean that in the nicest possible way...)

Ah, but the more you type, the longer your list grows. Good stuff. :applause:

Is this board an accurate reflection of the hobby?

My first response is lol .

This board is nothing but a microcosm of the hobby. After all, it is a message hosted by CGC. Just ask CharltonGuy and Red Hook. Oh wait, you can't.

It is my opinion that the majority of opinions that you find reflected here are not indicative of the hobby as a whole. However, they do seem to either lean far to the left or far to the right. There's isn't a lot of fence sitting. If you think about it, it's amazing that we get along as well as we do.

I think the "greggy" factor is the glue that binds us all together. hm

and stick together we must!!!

CAL who can be serious when it is needed

Agreed.

Today someone pays $5k for the "highest grade" 9.6 of an issue. Next year, someone finds a 9.8 and sells it for $10k. Suddenly the 9.6 doesn't look as desirable and the price drops to $4k.

Paying top dollar for 9.4, 9.6 HG on old SA and GA books is risky when no 9.8 or higher have been found yet. And you are usually talking about $1000's in loss, not $50 or $100 you risk loosing on mid-grade copies of the same book.

This is definatly the best place to catch up. I collected comics from the early 60's to the late 70's. I put my collection away to raise a family and start a business. 2 years ago I started coming on here and found that I knew next to nothing about comic collecting as it is in todays world. These people are for the most part the most knowledgeable people you will find in this area with no hidden agenda. They share their information and help readily. I come here pretty much everyday and everyday I usually learn something new. It was to my shagrin that I did learn that my collection of over 5000 comics wasn't nearly as valuable as I thought. That aside, knowledge is power and you couldn't learn from any better source, that I have found anyway. I think there are a lot us us midgrade collectors on here but that we keep mostly silent due to the fact of being overwhelmed by the quality of a lot of the books people have on here. I mean there are over 11,000 members on here and they can't all have only high grade stuff, can they?? I don't know for sure but like you I will continue to plod (oops..now see that's a word I learned you shouldn't use on here) along, learning what I can, upgrading my collection and someday selling off the 4500 or so books I no longer want.
Great post!

you have the notion that everyone here is a HG collector because that's what tends to get posted as scans...well, not really, most of the GA posted isn't particularly high grade and when it comes to early SA expensive keys, heck, I think most people here would be pretty cool with a reader copy of AF 15.

i do think this board does tend to lean a bit more toward high grade and is more dismissive of the rest of the stuff out there than the hobby as a whole. it's also more dismissive of modern age stuff and thinks of broad categories of book as "25 cent box" books (25 cent boxes are, in reality, an endangered species though, i think they mean 50 cent and $1 box books) when, in reality, many have a FMV of $3-$10 and such. i also think that this board pinches its pennies more with respect to the non-HG stuff than the rest of the hobby (for the aforementioned reasons, plus they'd prefer to hold out for a nicer copy), BUT, particularly when there's trust among board members and such, given the situation they may be willing to lay out more $ for a nice copy based on a scan than most ebayers who aren't buying from zillaf, et al.

people here probably, on average, have a bit more spare loot than the typical collector.