• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Egad, another Iron Man thread - be warned, some science included

9 posts in this topic

A fun, short, light hearted look at our favorite shell-head, piece by piece.

http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Ironman_takes_physics_for_a_ride.html

I noticed the date on the piece as the day the film opened...I assume he wrote this before he saw it.

They address the "power problem" in the first 30 minutes of the film.

Not that the power source that Stark invents is possible right now, but the film did not gloss over the need and the consumption of massive power. The finite nature of Stark's power source has been an issue constantly and all the way back to TOS 39.

http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Ironman_takes_physics_for_a_ride.html

I noticed the date on the piece as the day the film opened...I assume he wrote this before he saw it.

They address the "power problem" in the first 30 minutes of the film.

Not that the power source that Stark invents is possible right now, but the film did not gloss over the need and the consumption of massive power. The finite nature of Stark's power source has been an issue constantly and all the way back to TOS 39.

Yes, the piece could easily have been written before the movie opened. Prof. Kakalios has taught a seminar for freshmen based on his love of comics and superheroes in the past, from a scientific perspective. I'm told they were quite entertaining and presented in a very constructive and affectionate manner.

That Ultra-Nerds like this actually exist in the real world, truly scares me. :o

Wow - a funny book hero defies real-world physics - quite the newsflash there Einstein - stop the presses!!! lol

That Ultra-Nerds like this actually exist in the real world, truly scares me. :o

Name calling aside, the Prof. isn't someone to be afraid of (not saying that you really are, of course ;) ).

Wow - a funny book hero defies real-world physics - quite the newsflash there Einstein - stop the presses!!! lol

Well, the interesting thing that I took from the piece was that not all real world physics are defied. :hi:

Well, the interesting thing that I took from the piece was that not all real world physics are defied.

Yes, the Iron in Iron Man is a real metal. lol

What's next, is he going to tell us that a man can't fly or that Norse Gods don't really exist?

Its sad but "scientists" will slice and dice up anything in their quest to prove there are no Gods including baby Jesus :o

They should be spending their time on more important things like my Jetsons flying car and stop whining about no power sources like this and go ahead and find it because there has to be something better than oil.

Well, the interesting thing that I took from the piece was that not all real world physics are defied.

Yes, the Iron in Iron Man is a real metal. lol

What's next, is he going to tell us that a man can't fly or that Norse Gods don't really exist?

*POOF*

There goes my dream of meeting the Enchantress. :(