• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ART DAY! Complete EC book (cover and interiors).

22 posts in this topic

Hi there

Not in the same league as the New Trend stuff, but I like to collect a wide range of EC cover art from the Pre-Trend, New Trend, New Direction and Picto-Fiction books.

New in today is the complete book of original art for the No. 2 issue of PICTURE STORIES FROM AMERICAN HISTORY.

The art dates from 1946, when EC was actually known as Educational Comics . . .

There are over 50 originals. I don't usually collect interior pages, but the artwork came as a complete lot.

Here's a scan of the cover (I'm not so sure I want to scan all the interior pages!):

6ie739.jpg

As my scanner is A4, and these originals have images sizes of about 13" x 18", it's not going to be feasible to go through the process of having scanned images stitched-together.

Instead, I'll upload some details from the interior pages.

The artist is Allen Simon. His work is serviceable, but lacks the sophistication of what was to come during EC's heyday.

Many interior pages suffer from staining (where captions and speech ballons were pasted onto the artboards). Replacement stats could be made, but at over 50 pages this would present a formidable task!

Here are some details . . .

15dvseh.jpg

Detail from CONTENTS page.

Those are great. I love seeing that era depicted (since I live in Williamsburg I am surronded by it). Thanks for taking the time and posting some more images, really cool stuff.

Those are great. I love seeing that era depicted (since I live in Williamsburg I am surronded by it). Thanks for taking the time and posting some more images, really cool stuff.

I managed to locate some more images of interior pages from the title. Hope they're of interest . . .

2e4zz9j.jpg

(more to follow)