• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Neal Adams proffesional work

20 posts in this topic

Neal lists on his web site Scrambled Yoks as his first Proffesional work, as does Overstreet.

I thought since there are so many Adams fans many would like to see where Neal Adams got his start.

scan0001-2.jpg

scan0002-1.jpg

That's pretty funny. There is really NO sign at all of the Adams style that we all think of, is there? I wonder if he inked this himself :shrug:
That would be interesting to find out!Maybe someone out there knows?

Neal Adams did quite a bit of Archie art in his early days!

I've never been able to spot Adams art on Archie, now I see why. Nothing special.

Thanks for posting this 'Zilla . Very interesting!

I think the problem is Archie and the gangs imagery was at this point and still is so iconic and well known that any variation can be tuff to look at.

I still think its decent art, but just so different from what we are used to seeing.

(Adams would have been trying (and failing) to work in Dan DeCarlo's style.)

Failing, yes but I don't think DeCarlo would have been the proto-type yet, this is 1960! My guess is they were working with Bob White as the main house style. I don't think DeCarlo became the house style before (or not much before) Archie #160 Dec 1965 the issue he took over as regular cover artist.

I don't know for sure but Dexter Taylor has told me Bob White was the man when he arrived (in the mid 50s) and was for some time.

(I've never been able to spot Adams art on Archie, now I see why. Nothing special.)

Theres a Neal Adams index from the mid 1970s (I used to own) it listed the story title of most of his pages, once you look over a few its actuall very easy to spot which pages are Adams, I coulld post a few if anybody cares...

:)

I've never been able to spot Adams art on Archie, now I see why. Nothing special.

Thanks for posting this 'Zilla . Very interesting!

Its all automoton by the -script , no veering from the bland old template, type of comic artistry that I would in no way consider myself as being HIS first work and I would never collect it.

Its like listing your first job on your professional Curriculum Vitae that you had experience as a Walmart Greeter lol

(Until about 3-4 years ago Overstreet listed #41 as Neal's first work, not #44. IIRC.)

I had that fixed, theres a scrambled yoks page by long time Archie artist Tom Moore in issue #41, that led to the orginal error.

I pretty sure I posted these two once before, but here they are again. I'll scan a couple more in the next day or two..

AJB44p1.png

AJB46p1.png

:)

Cool, thanks for posting these. I can see how you could spot the style as being distinct, but to me the style doesn't even hint at Adams' later style.

How old would he have been when he drew this?