• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone still awake?

5,958 posts in this topic

A number of years ago, I consumed most of a bottle of Jaegermeister on my birthday. Talk about a hell of a hangover the next day!

For my 23rd birthday, my 'friends' lined up 23 shots of Goldschlager for me. Being the stalwart fellow that I am, I went for it. I shot them all in rapid succession until #17, at which time I stumbled to the bathroom to puke up my guts.

It should be noted that this took place, at my place of employment at the time (I was a bartender). I never lived that one down, no matter how many plebes I drank under the table.

I still can't stand the smell of any peppermint liquor/liqeur to this day.

My 26th birthday was even worse, but that's a tale for another day.

i have to get around to watching season 4 and 5 of the wire...

So what do you think of The Wire being from Bodymore Murderland, proper?

It's accurate. David Simon is probably the only writer/director who could ever get it right since he's from Baltimore. Season 4, which happens to be about the school systems, is really on top of how the school system works. I wish it went more in depth with how corrupt it is, but with what they showed, it was perfect.

Without a second thought, The Wire is my favorite show of all time. I still mourn the fact that it ended.

It's accurate. David Simon is probably the only writer/director who could ever get it right since he's from Baltimore. Season 4, which happens to be about the school systems, is really on top of how the school system works. I wish it went more in depth with how corrupt it is, but with what they showed, it was perfect.

Without a second thought, The Wire is my favorite show of all time. I still mourn the fact that it ended.

It is definitely one of the best dramas I have ever sen too. I loved that show. I still need to finish the last season though. I think I have been delaying because once I watch em, there will be no more. That series sure launched a lot of acting careers though, lol. Every time I see one of those guys in another tv show or film. I relate to them by their Wire character name.

Goldschlager is cinnamon... You sure it wanst Rumpy?

You're right, GS is cinnamon. I've got too many drinking stories, and one of them does involve Rumpleminze. I just have to pretty much avoid any schnapps-related alcohol. :P

It is definitely one of the best dramas I have ever sen too. I loved that show. I still need to finish the last season though. I think I have been delaying because once I watch em, there will be no more. That series sure launched a lot of acting careers though, lol. Every time I see one of those guys in another tv show or film. I relate to them by their Wire character name.

When I saw Omar in The Hulk, I pointed at the screen and shouted "OH mess OMARS COMING!" and thankfully, everyone in the audience laughed.

I've actually met people from parts of Baltimore (the county, mostly) who thought The Wire protrayed Baltimore in a negative light. Really, like I tell them, that's how it is out there. Simon used to work with the cops and The Sun, he's seen this mess, he knows how it is. My mom (who is a city teacher) was amazed at how accurate a lot of it was. Thats how it is, and people who say the show sucked, are living in a lovely fantasy world.

Also Dominic West is my favorit actor ever, and he lived down the street from me without me ever knowing.

Goldschlager is cinnamon... You sure it wanst Rumpy?

You're right, GS is cinnamon. I've got too many drinking stories, and one of them does involve Rumpleminze. I just have to pretty much avoid any schnapps-related alcohol. :P

Hahaha, spoken like a true publican...

I feel ya bro. I used to drink the hell out of those three, but cant really handle them anymore. I may do a shot from time to time for old times sake, but if Im going the liqour route I'll have a Captain, Crown or mebbe a Caucasian (sorry, gotta follow the Dude on that one)

I used to tend bar myself. I miss it actually. Who knows, with the economy taking the peiss I may go back to it soon, lol

When I saw Omar in The Hulk, I pointed at the screen and shouted "OH mess OMARS COMING!" and thankfully, everyone in the audience laughed.

I've actually met people from parts of Baltimore (the county, mostly) who thought The Wire protrayed Baltimore in a negative light. Really, like I tell them, that's how it is out there. Simon used to work with the cops and The Sun, he's seen this mess, he knows how it is. My mom (who is a city teacher) was amazed at how accurate a lot of it was. Thats how it is, and people who say the show sucked, are living in a lovely fantasy world.

Also Dominic West is my favorit actor ever, and he lived down the street from me without me ever knowing.

Yeah, I think the social commentary is the best part of the show. I liked it when the creators gave the press conference that advocated the decriminalization if not, legalization, of drugs. I first read about it in Time magazine, and having seen the show, thought it was pretty in tune with the tone of the work. I agree with them that the War on Drugs is nothing but a propaganda piece, set up so the fat cats at the top can get rich off of others misery...

One of the things that makes the show special is the viewpoint. It really is a microcosm of the bigger picture. everything's set in B'More, but the problems and issues that people deal with are universal, definitely at least within our country, if not on a global level.

The show is successful because it draws people in by in depicting a slice of life of people who are really in the Suck, but then it turns the audience onits head because you realize you are just like them.

I think the shows handling of the issues racism, classcism, politics, and the drug game are some of the best ever in any show ever made.

I am watching The Shield, season 4...never had seen the show...got a deal on seasons 1-6...started watching 1 this past week, haven't been able to stop! good stuff

I just wrapped up Lost season 4 and The Shield season 6. :o Those are both incredible shows!

Yeah, I think the social commentary is the best part of the show. I liked it when the creators gave the press conference that advocated the decriminalization if not, legalization, of drugs. I first read about it in Time magazine, and having seen the show, thought it was pretty in tune with the tone of the work. I agree with them that the War on Drugs is nothing but a propaganda piece, set up so the fat cats at the top can get rich off of others misery...

One of the things that makes the show special is the viewpoint. It really is a microcosm of the bigger picture. everything's set in B'More, but the problems and issues that people deal with are universal, definitely at least within our country, if not on a global level.

The show is successful because it draws people in by in depicting a slice of life of people who are really in the Suck, but then it turns the audience onits head because you realize you are just like them.

I think the shows handling of the issues racism, classcism, politics, and the drug game are some of the best ever in any show ever made.

WTF IS ALL THIS??? A CONVERSATION???? WRONG THREAD!!!

:censored:ing conversations belong in a PM, NOT this thread! :sumo:

I was OK with Rumpleminze for a while, untli another bartender challenged me on a shot-for-shot basis, winner take all tips for the night (we pooled tips).

Well, he was a regular Rumple drinker, but *I* was an alcoholic! He lost badly.

He got me back later on my 26th b-day. I was doing shots of Quervo gold, and he gave me a big one. "Happy Birthday", he said.

I licked the salt, shot the 9 oz cup and OMG...that wasn't just tequila. No, he used the grain alcohol we had for the daquiri machines to fill the 9oz cup 90% full, then floated the tequila on top.

Not a good night for me.

I was OK with Rumpleminze for a while, untli another bartender challenged me on a shot-for-shot basis, winner take all tips for the night (we pooled tips).

Well, he was a regular Rumple drinker, but *I* was an alcoholic! He lost badly.

He got me back later on my 26th b-day. I was doing shots of Quervo gold, and he gave me a big one. "Happy Birthday", he said.

I licked the salt, shot the 9 oz cup and OMG...that wasn't just tequila. No, he used the grain alcohol we had for the daquiri machines to fill the 9oz cup 90% full, then floated the tequila on top.

Not a good night for me.

:o

WTF IS ALL THIS??? A CONVERSATION???? WRONG THREAD!!!

:censored:ing conversations belong in a PM, NOT this thread! :sumo:

Go watch The Wire AND YOU TOO WILL UNDERSTAND.

Anyhow, yes. I agree on all parts. When O'Malley was still mayor of Baltimore, he tried his hardest to get The Wire to cease production early on. Mostly because he wanted to hide all of the nitty gritty (regardless if it can translate to people not living in Baltimore) since Baltimore is now trying to become a high class city. It's laughable, really. You can't make mess look pretty...And I honest to God love this city.

Also, I was lucky enough to go to the soundstage of The Wire with some friends of mine. I think its funny that a show about cops just leaves its doors to their sounstage unlocked and open...