• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how many people have heard this one. Kara posted it on twitter but....

Tony Moore is coming back to do a 6 issue "fill in" arc of Walking Dead comics

http://tonymooreillustration.com/?p=173

BTW, it says starting with issue 60.

Posted April 1st 2008

Was an April Fools Joke (that I guess continues to keep on givin...)

PS

Kara has notified CGC that if any books are to be signed by Tony, she would like me to handle it and they are $5 a book. I have talked to Joe Pierson and he has been made aware of it. So please make sure to include that money if you send books to a facilitator or drop books off at a show.

JJ

you you need to pay $5 for an autograph if you are going to get it ss ? I don't know why but that is just a huge turn off & makes me care about getting one less & less hm

maybe I will just focus on getting a Adlard SS for now (shrug)

Edited by synch

$5 a book is nothing compared to the markup some sellers get by selling his sig SS'd. Also $5 a book to have the books done for me, without waiting in line, without catching his signing times, without having to do anything myself is a pretty damn fine deal.

Not exactly. If Tony wants to charge $5 then all the power to him but as far as increased price with his signature ....not really. Other than multiple sig books this limits his signature to #1-4 and 19 and affects the sale price very little on those. Kirkman's signature has a greater impact on price and GPA suggests SS increased sale price over universal is negligible.

Also the $5 appears to be Tony's signing fee. There is no mention of the other services you mentioned being included in the $5. It does appear that the only way to obtain a Tony Moore SS going forward will be through this method and with exclusivity comes increased costs.

$5 a book is nothing compared to the markup some sellers get by selling his sig SS'd. Also $5 a book to have the books done for me, without waiting in line, without catching his signing times, without having to do anything myself is a pretty damn fine deal.

Exactly, people would pay $5 in gas and $20-30 for entry in to a con to wait in line to get a free autograph, but having to pay $5 for a sig and have someone else deal with the hassle is a turn off? doh!

PS

Kara has notified CGC that if any books are to be signed by Tony, she would like me to handle it and they are $5 a book. I have talked to Joe Pierson and he has been made aware of it. So please make sure to include that money if you send books to a facilitator or drop books off at a show.

JJ

It's a conspiracy!!!

Now JJ can blunt every corner of the #'1's submitted to ensure there are no more CGC 9.9 SS to rival Tony Moores! :roflmao:

lollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollol

Yes, I'm kidding. Please don't take offense.

I don't get sigs to sell, so paying for a sig is a turn off to me unless it is a big name (as in legendary).

Unfortunately, in this age of collecting there are people who make loads of money off of creators sigs.

And yes I. did sell the sketched wd books for more than what I paid, but I wasn't the one who got the books ss in the first place. I paid inflated prices to obtain the books in the first place.

For comic creators to charge for something that has been free for as long as the hobby has been around is a bit tough to swallow, esp when creators on the same book still charge nothing.

Just my flawed 2 bits

I don't get sigs to sell, so paying for a sig is a turn off to me unless it is a big name (as in legendary).

Unfortunately, in this age of collecting there are people who make loads of money off of creators sigs.

And yes I. did sell the sketched wd books for more than what I paid, but I wasn't the one who got the books ss in the first place. I paid inflated prices to obtain the books in the first place.

For comic creators to charge for something that has been free for as long as the hobby has been around is a bit tough to swallow, esp when creators on the same book still charge nothing.

Just my flawed 2 bits

Convention sketches used to be free too. Once a secondary market was created for them many creators, justifiably, felt as if they were being taken advantage of by some people who were stacking their sketch lists with the goal to resell the pieces.

This is really no different.

I've had several Tony Moore books slabbed over the years. The yellow labels signed by Tony add at least $5 more to the sales price than the blue labels.

I don't understand why it's ok to pay the secondary market more for a creators sig but it's not ok to pay the creator when getting the book signed directly. You are still paying a premium. Personally, I would prefer the money go to the creator.

If people are willing to pay more money for the signature when it's already slabbed (and they do) then the gripe of paying the creator seems a contradiction.

Agreed that the $ should go to the creators. I've offered $ to some and have been denied. I've even gone so far as to mention that I would be selling the signed book and offered $ again.

Some creators have started charging and rightfully so. I see it like I view flipping when I sell a slab. If I'm happy with the price I charge then I don't care if the buyer chooses to flip it.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree that the secondary market pays a premium for SS vs Universal. For the most part I have not found that to be the case.

I will agree that people pay more for a SS vs a raw signed copy but the same can be said for raw vs slabbed universal.

Mostly that came from my sales, For example, I had blue label and yellow label Tony Moore Deadpool variant covers. I got $35 for the Blue and $60 for the Yellow. The only difference was Tony's signature.

On super high end books it might not make much of a difference. This was just my personal experience.

But really the difference in value between CGC'd signatures and raw is where this really becomes an issue. The yellow label makes it a viable commodity to be moved around and resold. Someone might have only paid for $10-15 for a raw Deadpool variant signed by Tony, but I got $60 for it. I'd give Tony $10 a sig if I could do that every time. lol

Fair enough. My experience is almost exclusively Walking Dead with mixed results vs universal but agreed on the value of SS vs raw signed. (thumbs u

Fair enough. My experience is almost exclusively Walking Dead with mixed results vs universal but agreed on the value of SS vs raw signed. (thumbs u

That makes sense.

That's probably everyone's experience with moderns that have already had a run up in value to a rather high level. At that point a signature isn't going to make a difference unless it's truly hard to get.

PS

JJ

So, from now on, if a book is to be signed by Tony for SS, you're the only one that can do it?

ok if I was sending my books into cgc to get signed I can see them charging $5 per book to sign a huge stack of books.... How ever if I am at a convention personally then I don't want to be doing that imo I am already supporting them by buying the books to start with . these guys are making plenty of $ of the oa or sketches at a con they don't need to be charging me for an autograph

PS

JJ

So, from now on, if a book is to be signed by Tony for SS, you're the only one that can do it?

This post reads that way but the version JJ posted in the SS section explains it better I think.