• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

ok if I was sending my books into cgc to get signed I can see them charging $5 per book to sign a huge stack of books.... How ever if I am at a convention personally then I don't want to be doing that imo I am already supporting them by buying the books to start with . these guys are making plenty of $ of the oa or sketches at a con they don't need to be charging me for an autograph

You do realize that most conventions don't cover airfare or hotel. Most only give a free artist's alley table, if that.

So you might want to define what "plenty of money" is when Tony does maybe 5 $100 sketches at a convention.

You do realize that most conventions don't cover airfare or hotel. Most only give a free artist's alley table, if that.

untrue

So everyone in artist's alley get's all their travel expenses comped? Is that what you are saying?

Did you know that Brian Bolland covered his air fare and hotel to NYCC 2010?

He was one of the headliners of the show and they paid nothing.

I know the practices of Wizard conventions and Reed. That covers most of the major conventions in the US and I can tell you for a fact that getting your airfare and hotel comped are NOT a foregone conclusion.

Some guys may get it at some shows but it's not everyone. The names of some of the folks not getting it would probably surprise you, especially if you think they all get it.

didn't say that everyone or all cons do.

My point, to the post I was responding to, was it's potentially inaccurate to claim how much money an artist making or not making at a convention when it's a real possibility that the artist has put up a grand or more just to be there, or in the case of creators traveling internationally several thousand dollars to be there.

Those nice displays, printing the sketchbooks, the drawing materials, the paper, shipping items to the convention, all of those cost money regardless of travel expenses being factored into the equation.

Also with the case of published, working creators, the convention takes time away from the gig that's making them their regular paycheck.

Basically it's silly to rip on a creator for making money for his time or talent at a convention when there's no way to know how much they might be out of pocket just to be there.

just stating that as a blanket statement, that is not true.

Are you referring to a specific show?

Given that I know the talent coordinators for several of the major shows personally, and I have seen their budgets and have seen how many creators get airfare, hotel and travel comped I can say, with the exception of Heroes Con, most of the people you see on artist alley at any given con might have been given the table space but not much more.

As a blanket statement that most creators at most conventions don't get their airfare and hotel comped, I stand behind it. Shelton does it in Charlotte, but I know that Wizard and Reed don't have the budget to even come close to getting most of the talent covered.

didn't say that everyone or all cons do.

Those nice displays, printing the sketchbooks, the drawing materials, the paper, shipping items to the convention, all of those cost money regardless of travel expenses being factored into the equation.

Yep, those costs are not fun.

Also with the case of published, working creators, the convention takes time away from the gig that's making them their regular paycheck.

no comment

Basically it's silly to rip on a creator for making money for his time or talent at a convention when there's no way to know how much they might be out of pocket just to be there.

don't have a problem with a creator making money, but a creator charging for a signature is a bit much to me.

and comix, sorry, the horror cons i've been booked for looks like they work differently than comic cons. horror cons provide accomidations, food and transportation.

so if comic cons don't provide this, i apologize since i was going off of what i have done.

PS

Kara has notified CGC that if any books are to be signed by Tony, she would like me to handle it and they are $5 a book. I have talked to Joe Pierson and he has been made aware of it. So please make sure to include that money if you send books to a facilitator or drop books off at a show.

JJ

So, from now on, if a book is to be signed by Tony for SS, you're the only one that can do it?

I think it is probably explained better in the SS room.

I also want to make sure that everyone fully understands that I also pay $5 per book for signatures like everyone else. I don't ask for it to be different and offer it up without being asked. This was not something that I came up with, but something that Kara told CGC this is how she wanted it done. It was originally to be me who handled all books to insure they were paid for the signature, but in fairness, I can't be everywhere and I don't want someone to NOT get a signature based on my convention appearances.

Again, this is not something I advised on or asked them to do (my involvement or the charge per signature), but can see why it would make it easier for them. Tony is one of the most asked for signatures at shows CGC is at (thanks to Jeff! lol), so this helps to get 'witnesses' out to other creators instead of spending 1/3 of the day in line with 10 books at a time trying to get them done.

And as Chris stated earlier, there are plenty more creators asking for something in return and CGC has often offered (myself being one of those people who has offered comps time and time again, Kirkman is probably sick of me asking).

Whether any of us like it or not, this is the way it will be and books will not be CGC SS with Tony Moore on it, unless it goes through this process.

And lastly, I personally do not receive any compensation for this in any way shape or form.

or the auction of a gauranteed sketch at $735?

But they start the bids at .99 so that is what the market went up to for a guaranteed sketch from Moore. It's not the Moore's fault some insane person :screwy: was willing to pay that much?

I think it is probably explained better in the SS room.

I also want to make sure that everyone fully understands that I also pay $5 per book for signatures like everyone else. I don't ask for it to be different and offer it up without being asked. This was not something that I came up with, but something that Kara told CGC this is how she wanted it done. It was originally to be me who handled all books to insure they were paid for the signature, but in fairness, I can't be everywhere and I don't want someone to NOT get a signature based on my convention appearances.

Again, this is not something I advised on or asked them to do (my involvement or the charge per signature), but can see why it would make it easier for them. Tony is one of the most asked for signatures at shows CGC is at (thanks to Jeff! lol), so this helps to get 'witnesses' out to other creators instead of spending 1/3 of the day in line with 10 books at a time trying to get them done.

And as Chris stated earlier, there are plenty more creators asking for something in return and CGC has often offered (myself being one of those people who has offered comps time and time again, Kirkman is probably sick of me asking).

Whether any of us like it or not, this is the way it will be and books will not be CGC SS with Tony Moore on it, unless it goes through this process.

And lastly, I personally do not receive any compensation for this in any way shape or form.

Uh huh.