• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

My local shop got in 20 copies of the reg cover but zero of the special cover. I am wondering what is up with this also. They told me they had to order more than 20 to be able to receive even 1 variant.

I ordered 2 copies off eBay for $30 shipped and feel like I blew that money already from hearing that a lot of stores got the covers in at a 1:1 rate roughly.

Issue 85 is a mess...my LCS had about 20 copies of the Regular and 15 copies of the "variant" they are all banged up. :sorry:

I prob pulled 9.6s if lucky...black cover is tough :makepoint:

My LCS was so sure I would buy the variant that they marked it $9.99 each. I laughed and told them, isn't this like an every 3 issue variant? I told them I can buy them for cover on ebay.

I then proceeded to buy a few copies of the black cover that will be dead on 9.8s lol

They aren't selling for cover on eBay. :gossip: (Too many stores didn't get any.)

They seem to be selling for between $10 and $20 a pop (including shipping). The $9.99 price is consistent with what your LCS can get for it.

Opportunity is knocking for a quick flip, for those of you who got them for cover price at your LCS. (thumbs u

Check out this WD #1 9.9 SS which is the only one, on ebay. It started at 9.99 last night (Sunday night).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130522437441&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

He is a good guy. Previously turned down $2500.

Ouch. He took a bit of a hit.

man that sucks for him. i was quite shocked at the final price. a batman 608 rrp 9.8 blue label is worth more at the moment and i am quite shocked.

I have decided that WD has become too 'LOST'-like, in that it has reached the point that has begun to have too much multi-media saturation (books, board games, video games, the TV show, action figures) and with it comes a responsibility to those distributors for a return on their investments.

Thus making the issues that used to be tight and quick (back when Kirkman thought 50 or 75 issues would be the run) more meandering to draw out the length of the series.

Like 'LOST', I think Kirkman needs to announce an end date/issue number and work toward it.

Also, while I did buy the latest variants (U.S. and British), there really are too many recently.

For the last 10 issues (76-85) there have been 5 variants.

I believe that matches the number of variants from issues 1-75.

(2nd prints do not count as variants)

I have decided that WD has become too 'LOST'-like, in that it has reached the point that has begun to have too much multi-media saturation (books, board games, video games, the TV show, action figures) and with it comes a responsibility to those distributors for a return on their investments.

Thus making the issues that used to be tight and quick (back when Kirkman thought 50 or 75 issues would be the run) more meandering to draw out the length of the series.

Like 'LOST', I think Kirkman needs to announce an end date/issue number and work toward it.

Also, while I did buy the latest variants (U.S. and British), there really are too many recently.

For the last 10 issues (76-85) there have been 5 variants.

I believe that matches the number of variants from issues 1-75.

(2nd prints do not count as variants)

Kirkman never thought 50-75 issues would be the run. He's been talking about 100's of issues since the beginning.

Way back in the letter hacks of issue #7 he mentions wanting to do the book forever and then having someone taking over after he passes, but in the same passage he admits this wouldn't be possible and admits a more realistic number would be 75. It is in these same letter hacks that the 'alien' joke for issue #75 began.

I think his intention as a writer (before joining Image as a partner and creating a multi-media experience with The Walking Dead 'brand') was to be done with the series by now.

I'd like to pick his brain about this...

Kirkman never thought 50-75 issues would be the run. He's been talking about 100's of issues since the beginning.

I think he was wishing it could go on for 100's of issues. This is a money making machine now and I am sure he has no intention of letting it go. However, TWD is starting to lose some of its luster, IMO. I keep getting sucked in by shocking events but overall, the series is getting stale. Maybe he needs to bring in a co-writer... hm

Way back in the letter hacks of issue #7 he mentions wanting to do the book forever and then having someone taking over after he passes, but in the same passage he admits this wouldn't be possible and admits a more realistic number would be 75. It is in these same letter hacks that the 'alien' joke for issue #75 began.

I think his intention as a writer (before joining Image as a partner and creating a multi-media experience with The Walking Dead 'brand') was to be done with the series by now.

Me too. I don't think it would be a bad thing if he thought it would be over by now but it is still continuing. I would just want to see what he thought. Like I said, TWD makes a lot of money every month. It would be hard to give it up unless the tv series keeps growing. Then I think he drops TWD, passes it to another creator OR the series begins to slip even further.

To each their own. Im loving the series and haven't felt any stagnation, esp recently. Other than too many variants. But that really is only a problem for completists. Im looking forward to the game and books coming myself.

See, i don't believe this. I think he wanted to do a long run, as evidenced by his numerous mentions of it, but realized back then when 6,000 copies were being printed that a zombie book probably wouldn't last that long. Luckily it did, and his original idea of a long running series became reality.

Good question for an interview i guess

I think he was wishing it could go on for 100's of issues. This is a money making machine now and I am sure he has no intention of letting it go. However, TWD is starting to lose some of its luster, IMO. I keep getting sucked in by shocking events but overall, the series is getting stale. Maybe he needs to bring in a co-writer... hm

Me too. I don't think it would be a bad thing if he thought it would be over by now but it is still continuing. I would just want to see what he thought. Like I said, TWD makes a lot of money every month. It would be hard to give it up unless the tv series keeps growing. Then I think he drops TWD, passes it to another creator OR the series begins to slip even further.

I don't think Kirkman has changed as a writer. I think the audience reading the book has changed and with that expectations have changed.

This book has had plenty of slow moments over the years. That's done to create more powerful emotions when events/deaths occur.

Lots of current readers have caught up through TPB. The slow points don't feel as slow if you read 1- 60 in TPB form. Since you didn't have to wait you didn't feel it, but now you do reading it monthly.

Plus, with the popularity we now have more Marvel and DC fans reading the book. Those readers are typically conditioned to the EVENT followed by another EVENT followed by EVENT mentality. Marvel and DC just have the formula down that they can do EVENTS and character building because you have to read multiple titles to get the whole story. (DC: How many Green Lantern events were there? One for each ring color until Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and several Green Lantern monthly comics. MARVEL: How many Avengers books are there now? Plus, each character has there own title, plus the events have there own title.)

Whereas, the WD is a self contained 1 title that has to do everything. Kirkman is still one of, if not THE best writer in comics today. imho. (thumbs u

I can accept that he's trying to cash in on his book while its popular. I would too. Plus, I don't have to buy every variant. 2c