• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

So lets add this up:

All 8 covers: $32

Chromium: $10

1:200 sketch: $250+

SDCC sketch: $10+

Black thing: ?? Lets say $20

Blank sketch: ?? Lets say $20, not paying $55 from that d-bag on ebay

Escape variant: ?? Lets say $100, refuse to pay more than that

Ottley sketch: ?? Lets say $30

So just for all 15 variants, that's $472 at least. Lets round to $500.

Now this skybound thing is $250? All this nonsense is starting to annoy me. rantrant

well if you want your revenge get a commissioned Tony Moore variant #100 cover that nobody else will have and spam it around the internet.. I would applaud this daily :)

So lets add this up:

Now this skybound thing is $250? All this nonsense is starting to annoy me. rantrant

Finally a rational person. (thumbs u

I have 5 1:200 variants coming my way right at SDCC 2012.....only to get easy 9.8's and make free money on garbage books that will be worth $10.00 in a couple years.

Rinse and repeat in the easy sheep like modern market.

Hot today......junk on eBay a year later.

Gotta to love those easy 1:200 hot then cold variants.

I hear the sheep bhahing now!

Good to know that's how you feel about your customers! Presumably you're not intending to sell those on the boards then.

I'm not one for variants, but I'd feel the same way if I was interested in them..

So lets add this up:

well if you want your revenge get a commissioned Tony Moore variant #100 cover that nobody else will have and spam it around the internet.. I would applaud this daily :)

I'm sure a commissioned Moore sketch on the 100 blank would cost me upwards of $500 as well. I just wish I had some impulse control to wait for prices to come down but I don't and will probably buy all these things. :tonofbricks:

I am about burned out completely on The Walking Dead at this point. Glad I sold my CGC graded and signed #1,2 and 3 already along with my 9.8 #19 near the high points of eBay sales a few months ago.

I am on the fence with selling everything else at this point. If they announce 1 more #100 cover or variant I think I am done. I may have a nice for sale thread here shortly with the rest of my run with sharp raw copies of issues 4-99 along with a 9.8 SS #10 and the rest of my original artwork and that signed #1 11" X 17" print of the cast.

Seeing that new box set being offered just pisses me off and I think the fun is gone, I have always wanted to collect pre-code horror books and now may be a good time to look into the switch.

You should keep something, man, I would regret selling everything-everything. I was just wondering how many people were getting tired yet. The line between valuable collectibles and worthless memorabellia (sorry, spelling?) has been dividing a vast quantity of junk from a small amount of stuff that you might be able to make money on in the next few months, and I will not be surprised if there will be an even smaller category of stuff that will be considered collectible in a year or beyond. I see stuff like the boxed set and think memoriabellia (sp.), not going to bother.

^ Would have been really interesting to see it as an auction. Normally I would say it would reach about $300 anyway. However, after seeing the Agents #6 go for $455, I think that final price is probably about 60% of what the auction would have gone for.

I for one, would have been one of the heavy bidders *glares at Chad*. I can't believe this slipped by me tbh, I have a saved search that I check about twice a day and I still couldn't get in on it :facepalm:

Jerome

:facepalm:

Yeah after my listing ending i got multiple a ton of messages about if i had more. Im kicking myself now for not sending it to auction.

Kyle: At least you know it's going to a boardie and a good home :whistle:

And in my defence that auction lasted near 24 hours and I waited for 10 hours for us to finally come to agreed upon price, I could have lost it at that time over a whole $25 bucks!!! Very stupid on my part, probably shout have just hit the BIN and got a better sleep last night.

Jim

Very happy its going to a boardie and I got what i wanted out of it so it was win win for both of us. Great pick up Jim (thumbs u

I am about burned out completely on The Walking Dead at this point. Glad I sold my CGC graded and signed #1,2 and 3 already along with my 9.8 #19 near the high points of eBay sales a few months ago.

I am on the fence with selling everything else at this point. If they announce 1 more #100 cover or variant I think I am done. I may have a nice for sale thread here shortly with the rest of my run with sharp raw copies of issues 4-99 along with a 9.8 SS #10 and the rest of my original artwork and that signed #1 11" X 17" print of the cast.

Seeing that new box set being offered just pisses me off and I think the fun is gone, I have always wanted to collect pre-code horror books and now may be a good time to look into the switch.

Why let it get you down? You obviously love the franchise, so buy one copy of #100 and be done with it. Issue 101 will be out and this will all blow over. It shouldn't ruin your love for the title. :foryou:

Jim

It's rare that we agree on anything, but I'm 100% with Brendan on this point. I can't understand why Kirkman would allow more variants. All they are doing is harming the retailers who need to sell the initial variants solicited by Diamond. :boo: Now there's a sketch variant of the Otley cover, a blank cover, a black and red cover and I don't even know who is producing these books, what the print run on these items will be or where to start looking for them. It was in poor taste in my opinion to do this to retailers and fans who have supported the comic over the years. (tsk)

It's rare that we agree on anything, but I'm 100% with Brendan on this point. I can't understand why Kirkman would allow more variants. All they are doing is harming the retailers who need to sell the initial variants solicited by Diamond. :boo: Now there's a sketch variant of the Otley cover, a blank cover, a black and red cover and I don't even know who is producing these books, what the print run on these items will be or where to start looking for them. It was in poor taste in my opinion to do this to retailers and fans who have supported the comic over the years. (tsk)

Nobody is forcing you to buy these books. As far as im concerned, retailers should be happy as heck. My LCS makes good money off WD. Upped his order. And more people come into the shop because of walking dead. Fans should be happy that a series they like reached 100 issues and is still going strong.

I can't understand why Kirkman would allow more variants. All they are doing is harming the retailers who need to sell the initial variants solicited by Diamond. :boo: Now there's a sketch variant of the Otley cover, a blank cover, a black and red cover and I don't even know who is producing these books, what the print run on these items will be or where to start looking for them. It was in poor taste in my opinion to do this to retailers and fans who have supported the comic over the years. (tsk)

This is where retailers and fans have to make intelligent choices. As a retailer, don't stick your nose out too far, or get caught monstrously overordering. As a fan, buy the cover(s) you like. There's no obligation to 'get 'em all'. 2c

Me, I'm buying one copy of the cover I like best.

The variants are annoying, but not a reason to quit the book. That's just silly. If they bother you, buy the standard 'Something to Fear' cover and call it a day.

Nobody is forcing you to buy these books. As far as im concerned, retailers should be happy as heck. My LCS makes good money off WD. Upped his order. And more people come into the shop because of walking dead. Fans should be happy that a series they like reached 100 issues and is still going strong.

You are 100% right that no one is forcing me to buy them, but I when I actively collect a series I want one copy of ever cover / variant if possible.

This is just kind of the icing on the cake, the art has gone down hill a ton the last couple years, and I feel like the story behind the comic just doesn't have a lot really left in it to be told.

I will probably wait until the show is back on to take advantage of a better time to sell and unload then. I think most of us agree that a lot of the hype will eventually die down especially once the show runs it course and this would be a good time to sell and reinvest into something else I will enjoy long term like some pre-code horror or some nice silver age books which are hard to go wrong with.

This goes back to the argument like 40 pages ago about the value of these books. Now is not the greatest time to be buying as an investment opportunity. But if you are buying as a collector with no intent to sell, then the value of the books are meaningless. It's just frustrating having to spend upwards of $500 on issue 100